Picture Window Pro -- inexpensive alternative to Adobe

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Esteemed Member

Picture Window Pro -- inexpensive alternative to Adobe

Postby pwholmes » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:26 pm

I'm demoing a photo editor called "Picture Window Pro." (http://dl-c.com/content/view/12/26/) (weird web address, I know)

Anyways, it's about $90 and it looks like a lot of pros use it and say it does everything a professional photographer needs as well as Adobe Photoshop. You work a little differently with it than Adobe. Instead of using frames you apply effects, filters, settings to the original picture and after applying the effect or tweak a new picture is created. You can then continue working on the new picture and create a new one out of that, etc. At any time you can come back to a previous tweak and start over from there. I'm in the process of learning it and checking out some of the tutorials on the web site.

Hopefully this isn't just old news, but for those of you who want a really professional editor, why spend $600 when for $90 you might be getting everything you need.

Paul Holmes

Postby rkligman » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:59 am

I've been using them since 3.0 days but stopped once I went to a DSLR and RAW. Their RAW import really did a poor job and left too much up to me. Lack of Layers and Plug-ins really hurts too. It is very quick to load and has some really cool features but I'm so adept at Photoshop now that I haven't loaded 4.0 in months and month if not a year. It is a really nice photo editor though if you don't use plug-ins or care about layers.
Rick Insane Diego...

Postby nannybear » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:13 am

why spend $600 when for $90 you might be getting everything you need.

Paul Holmes
Good point Paul. Thanks for sharing as I am sure there are some just starting out and they don't need Adobe's bells and whistles for awhile yet. :wink: Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Esteemed Member

Postby pwholmes » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:12 am

Follow-up to original post:

After discovering Lynda.com from another post and then joining I have been going through Deke McClelland's course on Photoshop Elements 5 and realize I really don't need another picture editor, just need to learn to use the one I have. So I won't be spending money on buying Picture Window Pro, although it does look like a great program in many ways.

Also I won't be upgrading to Elements 6 since I haven't heard any favorable comment about it. Instead I'll just learn to use 5 to the best of my ability.

Paul Holmes

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications