OEM Software

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

OEM Software

Postby Len Smith » Sat May 19, 2012 4:48 am

Not sure if this is the place to add this or indeed if anyone cane help.
As we all know software can be expensive and I really do need to upgrade some of my antiquated stuff such as Photoshop and Dreamweaver ect. I have searched online for OEM software at a reasonable price but it seems that most of those who offer this I have to subscribe to their website and pay a subscription etc. All I want is a simple place where I can just put in my card details and buy what I need.
If anyone knows of a straight forward site please let me know.
Regards
Len

Esteemed Member

Re: OEM Software

Postby Merlin_AZ » Sat May 19, 2012 5:45 am

The only way to get Adobe software inexpensive is to get the student discount if you are eligible.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Sat May 19, 2012 6:51 am

Merlin_AZ wrote:The only way to get Adobe software inexpensive is to get the student discount if you are eligible.

Getting the student discount does save a lot of money. The discount is only available to accredited schools that are approved by the US Department of Education or Canadian/Provincial ministries. The software has to be purchased in your child's name and you must supply evidence of your child being a student.

Kathy

Postby Len Smith » Sat May 19, 2012 7:35 am

Thanks for that unfortunatly my daughter is in her 30's so that way forward is out
Len

Postby gpsmikey » Sat May 19, 2012 8:04 am

Yes, there are a bunch of places out there advertising "great prices" on Adobe (and other products). Pick one of the sites and do a Google search on it. In general, you will almost always find that they are not legit and either you get nothing for your money (but they get your money/card) or you may get a version that works, but when you go to do anything with it, you will find it was a bogus number (that while it may have worked at one time, turns out you have stolen software). That way you end up paying for Photoshop (or whatever) twice - once for the one that does not work (but they get your card) and a second time when you actually buy it from Adobe. Personally, I don't give my credit card number to anyone I have not dealt with before or have thoroughly checked out. Run, don't walk away from any of the places offering huge discounts on all sorts of software.

There is OEM software out there (as your title suggested) - things like the OEM versions of windows for example that are designed to be sold to someone building a system or manufacturing systems etc. Read the fine print on the OEM software very closely. Much of can be activated ONCE and once it is tied to that machine, unlike the retail version, you can't move it to a new machine if something happens to your existing one or you purchase a faster one. OEM software also typically does not give you an upgrade path to the next version either but you have to read the license details to be sure. Some retail packages (like Sony software, some Adobe stuff etc) can be had at somewhat reduced prices from places like Amazon, B&H Photo, Newegg etc (several of my usual shopping places), but we are not talking "80% off list" or anything like the scam sites advertise (although Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 has been on sale at a number of places recently for 50% off etc).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby Tonel » Sat May 19, 2012 8:24 am

Although not OEM, a UK site for discounted software for anyone in the groups below, is:

http://www.software4students.co.uk

A couple of friends purchased Windows 7 and Office 2010 from the site and had no problems what-so-ever.

But note that it clearly states on the site:

Only students, teachers, school staff, and other educators who meet Adobe eligibility can purchase Adobe products.

Product does not contain the serial number required for installation. To receive the serial number, students must return the provided validation form and provide a valid student or teacher ID to Adobe. For further information please read the Adobe FAQ.

If you purchase an Adobe product and do not meet the eligibilty criteria, you will not pass the validation process and will be unable to return the product for a refund. Unfortunately, there are no exceptions to this policy.

Tony
Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, C=250GB 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PSP9
iMac 27" Retina 5K i5, 24GB RAM, Radeon M295X 4GB, Bootcamp Win10H 64bit

Postby Len Smith » Sat May 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks for the reply everyone. Looks like I will have to shell sout some serious money shortly if I want to upgrade my software. O well bang goes that holiday in the sun I have been promising myself.
Len

Postby gpsmikey » Sat May 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Better to pay for it once now than to get ripped off for some $$ then still have to buy the legitimate copy :twisted:

I wasn't terribly thrilled to note that Adobe wants almost $400 to upgrade Photoshop CS5 extended to CS6 extended - fortunately, my old boss called me up again and they wanted me back part time as a contract engineer for a while. More toy money :D :D

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby Len Smith » Sat May 19, 2012 9:37 pm

I think your right mikey. I've just checked on a site here in the UK called eversoft and for a full blown version of Phtoshop CS6 its just over £500 so I guess that's not so bad when you think you get full support etc. Besides it will be worth it in the end. I have got another 32 promo dvd's to do for my firm and as I have already got a pay rise because of my first promo I guess I can afford to splash out, and no before you ask they won't pay for it. There argument being that I will also be using it for my own benifit as well. Guess you can't argue with that.
Nice one there Mikey. And they try to right us oldies of as past it. Heck at 62 I am running a holiday park and intend to keep on running it until I drop.

So what are you going to buy with your new found wealth? Something nice I hope
Len

Postby gpsmikey » Sun May 20, 2012 4:51 am

Yeah, I'm familiar with the "oldies" - I'm also 62 :D One thing I am looking very seriously at is a special flash assembly for macro photography (I enjoy getting out and getting pix of little critters) Here was a picture from yesterday of a honeybee and a bumble bee in the heather along the driveway (it was a nice day out).

mikey

Postby Len Smith » Sun May 20, 2012 11:26 am

Really like the photos wish I could take photos like that. I have just bought my very first Bridge camera a Fuji S4000 and trying to get more in to photography. Before that I was just using a bog standard digi camera but now I have more presentation DVD's to do for the company thought I should learn more about photography.
I'm learning little by little and starting to take half descent photos. Hopefully I will get better.
Am just about to post my second presentation DVD on the forum for peoples comments.
Len

Postby gpsmikey » Sun May 20, 2012 12:48 pm

The really nice thing about digital is that you can see your shots immediately to get a clue if you are getting it right, there is almost no cost for "film" (well, the camera will wear out, but not for a while) and my favorite part is that instead of having to keep a notebook with entries for each shot so you can figure out what to change next time, you have the EXIF data in the images that records date/time/shutter speed/f-stop and a bunch of other stuff. I must admit though that I do miss the smell of stop bath and fixer in the darkroom (still have my 35mm tanks downstairs) :lol:

mikey

Postby Ron » Tue May 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Len IF your looking for software for your images I would suggest LR4, I find Photoshop is overkill these days and LR can handle most jobs. Photoshop is rarely opened on my pc these days and I'm pp over 300 images a week.

Mikey re: your bee images, have you given any thought of flipping them vertically, I think they would have more impact impo
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby Ron » Wed May 23, 2012 4:00 pm

The really nice thing about digital is that you can see your shots immediately

CHIMPING!!
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Well, there is indeed "chimping" and if you really get into it, you can go ape over chimping :D

Yeah, I thought of rotating the images, but that was the correct orientation - they were having to work upside down to get into the flowers.

mikey

Next

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications