A QUESTION ON INGBURNING

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Esteemed Member

A QUESTION ON INGBURNING

Postby ve6tp » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi:

Could someone please tell me if the Ingburning program allows a DVD disc to burn for multisessions? That is to say, I want to be able to burn files on to a DVD-R disc and be able to edit the contents. I want to be able to add more files or delete files from the disc at a later date.

if the program does this, could you please give me step-by-step to show me where the option or settings are? I have not been able to see any options within the program that would allow me to do this.

If anyone can definitely tell me if the program will or will not allow it , I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

Valued Member

Re: A QUESTION ON INGBURNING

Postby DonM » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:48 pm

I believe that image burn does not support multi session . It closes the disk after the first burn. See this reply from the author.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=18041&st=0&p=132349&hl=multisession&fromsearch=1&#entry132349

Don

Valued Member

Postby DonM » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:02 pm

The following link describes several free burn programs with at least one that does support multi session.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-cd-dvd-burning-software.htm

I am not sure what your needs are but I have found that a package of DVD+RW disks is very useful to test shows on TV's and then be erased.

DON

Esteemed Member

Postby ve6tp » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi:

My thanks to both of you for your reply.

You didn't really answer my specific question as it was about the Ingburning program, but you tried by giving me a link.

Many burning programs, but not all, will let you control if the disc is to be finalized or not. If not, then you can burn multisessons. That's all I was asking.

As for the type of disc used. For me, no doubt about it, DVD-R gives far less problems than DVD+R. That's been proven for a long period of time now but we all have a choice.

I have found a burning program that will do exactly what I was looking for and it is very straight forward and works great.

Thanks again for your replies.

Postby heckydog » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:55 am

I want to be able to add more files or delete files from the disc at a later date.

Glad you found something but you also asked for a program that would add or delete files from the disc. No program will be able to delete a file from a +R or -R disc once it's been burned. So if that's an important feature you have to use RW discs.

Esteemed Member

Postby ve6tp » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:05 am

Hi heckydog:

Nope, sorry you are not correct in your statement.

You need a burning program that gives you the option of selecting either "finalizing" or "multisession" burning of the disc. Not all burning programs have this option.

For programs that do provide this option, you do not need a rewritable disc. You can burn to any standard DVD disc and if your burner program allows multisession you can edit and re-burn a disc any number of times and either add more files or delete files. I add to discs that I use for backup of programs and all other types of files as I need. I do not have to wait until I have enough files saved up to make it economical to burn another disc.

Here are three burning programs that will allow you to do this:

gBurner
Nero ROM
Ashampoo Burning Suite

Each of these programs provide a choice of finalizing or allowing multi session burning. You might want to check them out as it is a very useful option.

My thanks to all who responded to this posting and I now consider the posting closed.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:18 am

Just a point of clarification. When a program such as Nero offers multi-session, Hecky is correct in that it does not erase a file. What it does is that it tells the DVD Player to skip over the first set of files and writes all of the files a second time. Not all DVD players can read a multi-session disk. Primarily it is computers only. The idea was to use a disc to store data and to use up its entire capacity before trashing it. The cost of the discs have come down significantly such that people don't use multi-session very much and those who are testing use RW disks or use iso files and iso readers.

Blu-Ray discs are still expensive, so people are looking for solutions around that, but for the 4.7 GB variety, they have become a commodity.

Regards,
-Vernon

Esteemed Member

Postby ve6tp » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:56 am

Vernon:

What hecky was saying is that once a disc is burned you can not burn it again unless you use a rewritable disc.

I am well aware of how a file is actually "deleted" not only on this matter but also the method of deleting files on your hard drives. It is not deleted in reality.

You do not seem to understand what I was getting at is that there are at least three programs (there are more but I listed the three of them) that will allow you to re-burn to any standard DVD disc at any time and you can make changes. It's called editing. And you can do it any number of times. Again, it can be done on any standard DVD disc. That's all that was meant to be the point of this posting. i did not want, nor intend it to be a technical discussion. In fact it could be of some help to others to know that this type of editing can in fact be done if the options of the burning program are selected before the disc is burned.

You can post a rely to this if you like but for the last time, this posting is finished and I will not reply to you. So have the last word if it makes you happy. I'm finished.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Why are you so angry? Just curious.

-Vernon

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:06 pm

Too bad - there is a simple answer, but since you have "finished the discussion", I will move on.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby steve.s » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:32 pm

to the OP:
NO;
IMGBurn is not able to do that; therefore no settings for it.

with respect: Steve

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications