Interesting video processing software

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

Interesting video processing software

Postby jonP » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:49 am

Hi All,

I did a brief search on this software and didn't see any other posts here so I wanted to start one about a video editing tool I came across that has helped my workflow considerably. The program is called VReveal, from a company MotionDSP that appears to make some very expensive high-end video correction software for use in foresnsic and military applications.

it's available at: http://www.vreveal.com

Let me start by saying this is not a full-blown editor such as Premier, Vegas Pro etc. In fact its goal is almost the opposite, i.e. designed to be simple and quick to use. In many ways you could look at it as a replacement for the video trimmer within Proshow. It starts with similar trimming capabilities but added to that it can stabilize (de-shake), color correct the and output in various video formats.

There is a free version that works for standard definition video and a pro version for $49 that has additional capabilities including HD video up to 1080P.

It also includes a unique thing I haven't come across elsewhere, it can create a panoramic still image by using a video that pans across a scene.

Obviously if you are using a fancy video camera and/or are profficient using a high-end video editor you'll find this way too primitive. However if like me, your goal is to get the best quality snippet to use in Proshow from your raw video shot on one of today's inexpensive cameras you might find this useful.

In addition with the output conversion capabilities it has really helped me resolve many of the issues I encountered trying to use the raw .mov files from my little Kodak playsport video camera.

Jon

Re: Interesting video processing software

Postby gsmcl0964 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:49 am

Looks interesting, especially the panoramas. I booked marked the site and will try later, when I actually remember that my camera can shoot video. Thanks for sharing.

Esteemed Member

Postby mikemullett » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:12 am

Downloaded and tried to install this programme (vReveal). My AVG virus checker picked up several files that were infected.
Beware :(

~~Mike Mullett~~
There's no such thing as problems, only challenges
Nikon D5300 DSLR, PSP, Photoshop CS6, Premiere Elements 8, Adobe After Effects. Have just built a Win 7 Core I5 machine, 8G ram, 1TB hard disk

Postby jonP » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:21 am

Mike,

I'm not sure where you obtained your version from but I must suspect you either found a bogus copy or else are getting some sort of false positive from AVG, (perhaps an old version of AVG?).

I have run this through numerous checks with several different scanners, specifically Webroot ISE, and the current 2011 AVG (10.0.1392 free version) as well as Malwarebytes, AdAware and SpyBot-SD. and none of these have shown any indication of an infection.

Just to be sure we are talking about the exact same binary, a properties display of the installer for this version, (VReveal_3.1.0.11484.exe) shows the size to be 35,863,040.

I suspect MotionDSP, the makers of IKENA forensic software an extremely expensive professional product would really want to hear about this if what you are reporting has any validity.

Here are the links to reference them and read their press release about this specific program:
http://www.motiondsp.com/about/
http://www.motiondsp.com/news/item/34/

Also, one more thing - here is a link to a review of the software which is how I learned about this originally. It was while researching whether to upgrade my display adaptor, and more specifically, what is being done with video enhancement using Nvidia's CUDA technology on the current generation of their display cards. For those interested this is a very good description of what the program is able to do.
http://techreport.com/articles.x/16617

If anyone else has seen issues or checked out this software with other scanners, please report your results here.

Thanks
Jon

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:42 am

HI,
We've downloaded the VReveal. We saw some demos on deshaker (or stabilizer), it's was very good.
But, by the times being, our grahic card don't support it. We still have XP and NVidia 6600LE. For stabilizing video or deshaking them, we took Videopad editor pro: it was free to try. Good results. quetzal 8)

Postby silverfox » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:34 pm

If you interested in a easy to use Video Editing program you may want try "MPEG Streamclip video converter for Windows XP/Vista/7" It is FREEWARE.

MPEG Streamclip is a powerful high-quality video converter, player, editor for MPEG, QuickTime, transport streams, iPod. And now it is a DivX editor and encoding machine, and even a movie downloader.

You can use MPEG Streamclip to: open and play most movie formats including MPEG files or transport streams; edit them with Cut, Copy, Paste, and Trim; set In/Out points and convert them into muxed or demuxed files, or export them to QuickTime, AVI, DV and MPEG-4 files with more than professional quality, so you can easily import them in a DVD authoring tool, and use them with many other applications or devices.
Supported input formats: MPEG, VOB, PS, M2P, MOD,VRO, DAT, MOV, DV, AVI, MP4, TS, M2T, MMV, REC, VID, AUD, AVR, VDR, PVR, TP0, M2V, M1V, MPV, AIFF, M1A, MP2, MPA, AC3, ...

Allows downloading of most YouTube Videos - and export audio from video

MPEG STREAMCLIP HAS BEEN WRITTEN ENTIRELY BY STEFANO CINQUE AND IT IS DISTRIBUTED BY SQUARED 5 SRL. IT IS 100% ORIGINAL. NO PORTIONS OF CODE FROM ANY OTHER SOFTWARE, COPYRIGHTED OR NOT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO OPEN SOURCE, HAVE BEEN USED OR INCLUDED IN MPEG STREAMCLIP. Update 4/11

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html

Postby jonP » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:00 pm

I guess I probably should have explained this better up front - I'm not really looking for any more video editing or conversion software. What this software topic was really about is video enhancement software that quickly improves the quality of the images, for example de-shaking, sharpening, auto-contrast changes, grain reduction, etc. But most important is the fact it runs extremely fast, in this case practically in realtime as you watch the preview.

Since I didn't explain it fully and this is likely a new concept to many folks, this is something that is now being done directly using the parallel processing capabilitiles built into the higher-end graphics cards from Nvidia and AMD (formerly ATI) products. Nvidia invented the CUDA technology and AMD/ATI developed OpenCL which provide a mechanism to do this directly using the GPU on the display adaptor rather than using the CPU on the motherboard. Benchmark times for this mechanism allow the work to be done in 1/5th the time of using the main CPU. This is likely a direction much video processing will go and VReveal is the first consumer-grade program I have come across that offers it.

Having said that, this may be of little interest to some due to the hardware requirements to support it but I thought it would be an interesting topic to present here to those who may have an interest.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi JonP,
I have NVidia and downloaded the VReal some months ago. Haven't given it much of a run yet but with the holidays approaching I am sure I will be use it along with my Pinnacle editing software for family home videos. Actually I had almost forgot that I had downloaded it, so thanks for the reminder. Smiles.

Hugs, Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Postby silverfox » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Thank You

Postby lanita33 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:12 am

You have made my day. This appears to be just what I have been looking for and I should have come to this forum first. I want simple as about all I use video for is for my shows.

I'll let you know how it works for me and thanks again for the info.

Lana

Postby jonP » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:44 am

FYI, just received this offer in my email and thought I'd share it in case there is anyone who is interested in upgrading their VReveal free version to the premium version at a bargain price.

the following is the announcment from their email.

Save $29 this February 29!

Use coupon code LEAP12 before midnight to get $29 off vReveal Premium! Hurry up, this offer is limitted to first 250 users (the same coupon is valid for 29% off after 250 uses).

To redeem the coupon, visit the vReveal checkout page, select the "Check to enter coupon code" checkbox, and apply coupon code LEAP12. The coupon is good through February 29 at 11:59pm, U.S. Pacific Standard Time.

http://vreveal.com

Postby ezwriter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:48 pm

I took a look at this software not too long ago and was intrigued because I, too, was looking for a quick and easy editor. I downloaded the free version, but it would not recognize and .mts format. I tried renaming its extension to .mpg as suggested by the website without success. The information on the Premium version is pretty sparse and I am wondering if the Premium version would, in fact, recognize an .mts file. Do you happen to know? I know I could convert the file to another format, but I prefer to minimize the conversions of files if possible.
The other question I had is what HD output formats does it provide. This information, too, was not obvious to me from the website.
Thanks,
[another] Dale

Postby jonP » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:31 pm

I have only used .mov files from my camera but according to their web site the following video file formats are supported if you have the right codecs on your system:

.MOV, .MP4, .MPEG, .3GP .AVI, .MPG, .ASF, .WMV, .MKV, .MTS, M2T, ASF, FLV

It also says:
If you have a file you’d like to edit in vReveal that is not included in these formats, installing a freely-available video codec pack (e.g., from http://www.codecguide.com) can further increase vReveal’s compatibility with other video formats.

This is at: http://www.vreveal.com/kb/what-video-formats-are-supported

When I save a file the following resolutions can be selected:

240p
480p
720p (HD)
1080p (HD)

these ouptut file formats are offered
H.264 (MP4)
Windows Media (WMV)
MJPEG (AVI)
Uncompressed AVI

Hope this helps
jon

Esteemed Member

Postby moehler » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:36 am

Thanks for the tip, Jon.

Postby ezwriter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:02 am

Thanks for the information, Jon. I was aware that their website said that .mts files were supported, but I found that to not be the case when I tried opening a .mts file from an AVCHD Lite recorder. The file opens just fine in Windows Media Player and in other applications, so I do not believe it is a codec issue. I was just wondering if for some reason the Premier version of the program would successfully open the file. Unfortunately they do not offer a trial download of the Premier version.

I appreciate your telling me what the HD output format options available are in Premier. I may give it a try and hope that the Premier version handles the .mts files better.

[another] Dale

Next

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications