Video makers

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Valued Member

Video makers

Postby u7mg0 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:42 am

I am looking at video makers. I dont need to do too much editing, but would like a program that has alot of special effects, templates, etc. to make the job easier. i am looking at Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD. also, is it worth it to go for the Platinum ? i have ruled out Corel. any advice appreciated

Esteemed Member

Re: Video makers

Postby Merlin_AZ » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:26 pm

There's a trial of Adobe Premiere/Elements as well depending on what you need.
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/

Postby peterphelan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:22 pm

I use Magix Movie Edit Pro V17 - which to my mind is a very under rated editor. I looked at Vegas Movie Studio again recently - because I now have a Canon 5D DSLR shooting 1080p video - but MEP still beats them all in the amateur prosumer range for me. :)

Peter
Peter Phelan
The Imaging Company Ltd

Valued Member

Postby u7mg0 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:20 am

i actually ended up buying Power Director by Cyberlink. I looked at Vegas and while it was very powerful, i did not like the UI and it seemed to have a more steep learning curve

Power Director has lots of online tuts and downloadable extras. i hope it lives up to my expectations.

Postby Cyclops » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:27 pm

I have Adobe Premiere Elements and Sony Vegas Platinum. Each was around $100 and I feel I received more value for my money with Sony Vegas. It was a little more difficult to figure out how to use the different functions but there is also a good support forum on Creative Cow. http://forums.creativecow.net/ There was more flexibility on changing the menu buttons and actions related to those buttons for me in Vegas (it comes with DVD Architect), working with sound and overlaying another video on top so I use it exclusively.

I refer to support forums a lot when I purchase a new program so would consider that when purchasing a new product.

Premiere has this forum http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/f ... y.php?f=15 It is a very user friendly product and I found it easy to use when I was just starting out. Both good programs.

Carolyn
Carolyn

Valued Member

Postby u7mg0 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:38 am

UPDATE:

i really like powerdirector 8. it has a nice UI and tons of extras online. HOWEVER it is horribly unstable. seems like lots of peeps on their forum are having similar issues. while i love it, i cannot continue to have it crash every 5 minutes. (none of my other programs have this issue)

question: those who use it or ar familiar, what other programs are similar? Vegas is too complicated for me. is Elements similar with the UI? what about all the extras (menus, particles). do other programs offer a site for those as well?

i really hate to give it up. such a shame they dont offer support for all those who purchased it and cant use it

thank you

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Sony Vegas (Studio as well as the Pro version - I have both) does take a bit of getting used to but will pretty much do everything you want. The programs with simple user interfaces often turn out to be very limiting in what special things you can do with them and you outgrow them quickly. The newest version (10) of Vegas also includes some basic image stabilizing features (although there is a limit to what it can do - I have seen video that wandered around from the shooters feet to the soccer field, back to the feet, off to the distance and back to the game ... all in under a minute !! ) The Sony Vegas forums are also pretty good - good people there to answer questions etc. ( http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/Default.asp? )

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications