Possible scammer and fraud...

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
lahazard

Possible scammer and fraud...

Postby lahazard » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:30 am

Please be aware that the website found in the following thread

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16620

Is running an ad promoting a known scam - 3DMagic - suggesting you can do the same types of 3D clips as offered on the website. This "product" is actually a repacking of the open-source program Blender which is available for free. Now on the one hand, it is "legal" (if not ethical) for someone to sell Blender - technically speaking - however, doing a search for 3DMAGIC and SCAM (or FRAUD) will show you this is a well known scam to the Blender community and that the individual(s) involved in this scam do not follow through with claims they make about refunds or any kind of customer support, and apparently they have also taken images and other works form other Blender artists/users and offered them up in such a way as to strongly suggest they are the work of the individual(s) selling 3DMAGIC.

Simply beware of what you might be getting yourself into by visiting a site that runs ads phishing for unsuspecting individuals in order to get them to pay for what turns out to be a freely available open-source set of programs. Again, while the individuals actually involved with 3DMAGIC may be technically "legal," they are highly unethical in their business practice and folks need to be aware.

Louis

P.S. I do not know if the individual who posted the website her, or the individual running the website offering free clips, is aware of the scam of 3DMAGIC. If they continue to run the ad, however, without posting a clear and highlighted disclaimer warning folks of what the product 3DMAGIC actually is, the I will remain suspect of the site itself.

P.P.S. Yes. I am an idiot for allowing myself to have fallen prey to this scam. And yes, I have made an attempt to get a refund based upon the "guarantee" while also notifying PayPal. But please, while I may have just thrown away my money (and it serves me right for ignoring the little voice inside telling me "beware") BE WARNED and learn from my mistake. (I would rather not let on that I was so easily scammed, but folks need to know of my error/stupidity as my direct evidence that this thing is a scam.)

P.P.P.S. Here is the link for info from the Blender Community about 3DMAGIC..

http://www.blendernation.com/2009/06/11 ... e-blender/

Site Admin

Re: Possible scammer and fraud...

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:34 am

I've removed the topic that was linked to above just to avoid any confusion as to it's merits. The web site in question is here: http://givemefreeart.com/Downloads/free-3d-animation/

As Louis pointed out above, the 3DMagix software is a rebranded version of Blender that is FREE! DO NOT PAY for the 3DMagix software!

The free downloads appear to be fine, as long as you register for access. Just be wary of any solicitations you may receive.

Mike

Postby heckydog » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:29 pm

They mention Blender in several places in their advertising. They kinda sneak it in that 3DMagix is a series of tutorials for Blender and what they are selling is the tutorials, not Blender. At least that's what I think. They would have fooled me too. :twisted:

It's pretty darn sneaky and like Louis said, they 're probably legally okay but, imho, it's morally reprehensible. Typical lawyer-speak.

Joe

Postby texan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:35 pm

The site is now DOWN..........nice job!!
Texan

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:41 pm

texan wrote:The site is now DOWN..........nice job!!

It's still there.

Mike

Nena902

Postby Nena902 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:40 pm

To my knowledge, the website Givemefreeart.com has nothing to do with Blender or 3DMagic. I don't understand why you all have targeted me and this website that I wanted to share as a "scammer". I AM NOT A SCAMMER. I just want to make that clear. And I am completely insulted that you people would treat a newcomer in this way. Shame on you!

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Nena:

I don't think anyone here was targeting you. If so, I apologize.

The problem is that the site linked to has a very prominent ad that links to a subject that is well documented as being a type of scam. The advertisement specifically mentions your friend in the promotional material so I'm going to say he's well aware of what's being advertised. What is being offered isn't illegal, but in essence it's asking you to purchase software that is freely available from the creator by rebranding it under a different name. These offers are sometimes disguised as "tutorials" for sale that come with the software, which appears to be the case here.

The free downloads aren't the issue, and are probably something that most people here would enjoy having. That's why I left the link up. They need to know about what else is being offered on the site, though. What they do after that is up to them.

Mike

lahazard

Postby lahazard » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Nena,

Shame on you for trying to cloud and misdirect attention from the real issue. I did not, nor did anyone else label either you or Logan as being a scammer. What I DID present as a scam is the software package being offered via an ad on Logan's site. (I do admit that I find it disturbing that instead of approaching the issue from "let me ask Logan if he knows anything about the problems associated with that ad on his site," you jump in by accusing people of doing something they have not done and attempting to redirect attention from the ad and product being offered through it.)

Here is what I wrote in my original post...

I do not know if the individual who posted the website here, or the individual running the website offering free clips, is aware of the scam of 3DMAGIC. If they continue to run the ad, however, without posting a clear and highlighted disclaimer warning folks of what the product 3DMAGIC actually is, the I will remain suspect of the site itself.

The ad for 3DMAGIX remains quite prominent and visible and as of yet I have not heard back from Logan regarding any disclaimer regarding the ad. Nor have I heard anything back from the individual promoting the package, or the company handling the money. If I get a full refund - as guaranteed in the ads for the package - then I will clearly post that info here. No one has "targeted" you, and Mike has clearly stated that he sees no issues currently with Logan's site itself, or his offer of free clips. And all Logan has to do to clear up any possible confusion as to whether or not he had any knowledge as to the true nature of the software package in question is respond to my email to him and/or post a disclaimer on his website and/or forum. If he chooses to do none of these, then what else am I to think?

The folks over at the Bender community, however, are quite clear as to what they think about 3DMAGIX. I would think in light of that information that Logan would not want to have any association with a known scammer.

regardless of how all this ends up (and losing the money is the least of my frustrations - I am far more frustrated and angry (and embarrassed) at myself for completely letting my guard down on this one) please do not blame anyone else here for something I posted. If you have a problem with this issue being raised, then aim that anger or frustration at me and NOT the rest of the community here.

Louis

Edited to add the following

P.S. According to the "affiliate program" run by this guy Cody - from 3DMAGIX - Logan signed up specifically with this software/tutorial package to make money from each sale. I won't post the link, but if one wants to verify this they can click on the ad and go to the bottom of the air and click on the link "Affiliates." After signing up to be one, 3DMAGIX generates a unique link to insure that the individual posting the ad gets credit for any sales coming from their site. So while Logan may not be aware that the Blender community sees this Cody guy as a scammer, he CHOSE to promote the package on his site and is making money off each sale. What he, Logan, does now that I have informed him of how the Blender community views Cody and 3DMAGIX, will speak a lot to me of his own personal ethics. And of course, if Cody and 3DMAGIX "immediately" (his word not mine) refunds my money than I will apologize to Cody and clearly state that he kept his word. The ball is, as they say, in his and Logan's court.

lahazard

Postby lahazard » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:39 pm

An additional note....

Even IF one gives the benefit of the doubt here as to the validity of selling a series of tutorials for Blender, the tutorials included with this package are ripped off from other people and available for free elsewhere. So from top to bottom this "Cody" guy (if that is even a real person) is taking other people's work - re-branding it -and selling it WITHOUT there being ANY thing of "his" own creation added. So not only is he a scammer, he truly is a thief -and apparently has left no trail by which one can track "him" down.

So i am sure my money is gone. So be it. You live and you learn. (Well, hopefully I've learned something.)

Nena?

I would highly recommend you speak with Logan and let him know just how much of a scammer and a thief this "Cody" guy is. Logan sounds like a really nice guy who simply wants to share his work with others, and I'd hate to see him reputation dragged down by a misguided association with this "Cody" character.

lahazard

Postby lahazard » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Apparently Nena has left the building.

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:19 pm

Nena has asked to have her account deactivated, which I've done.

I contacted her privately and tried to explain to her that she was not the target of any attacks, and that we were only attempting to bring to light the circumstances surrounding the advertisement that was prominently displayed on the site she recommended. The items offered for free at the site aren't the problem, and in fact, are probably very appreciated by those that were interested in obtaining them. The problem was with the advertisement.

UPDATE: (10/09/10)

The person who runs the site that offered the free downloads has been made aware of the problem with the advertisement on his site and is taking steps to remove it from his site. He was not aware of the controversy surrounding the ad. The items he is offering are still available to those that are interested in them.

UPDATE: (10/16/10)

The advertisement has been removed from the site.

If anyone has a question about any of this please contact me privately.

Mike

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications