iWisoft Video Converter?

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Valued Member

iWisoft Video Converter?

Postby malliekm » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:25 pm

I just saw this mentioned on the PSG forum. Wondering if anyone else uses it. Did a search on this forum for iWisoft and didn't find any other mention of it.
Monica

Re: iWisoft Video Converter?

Postby heckydog » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:05 am

I just downloaded a trial version of a program called iskysoft video converter. The trial does only 3 minutes of video but I'm impressed by the results so far converting mkv files to mpeg-2. And it's not expensive, around $35

I think I'll download this iwisoft and see what it does. For the price, free, what's there to lose but a little time?

Odd, that the names are so similar. :roll:

Joe

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:26 pm

I'm the one that posted the reply on the Gold forum about the iWisoft video editing program.

As Joe says: "it's entirely free" and from what I read about iskswoft . . . both programs are just about the same with the BIG exception that iWisoft is entirely free :-)

Dan

Postby heckydog » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:56 pm

I downloaded the free iwisoft and did a comparison between that and the not free iskysoft.

Quality wise, they are virtually identical. I might give a very slight edge to iskysoft but if price is your only concern then iwisoft is your choice. In WMP I could see no difference, In VLC I could see a slight improvement in iskysoft.

Render time was significantly different however. Since I have the trial version of iskysoft I could only make a 3 minute video. It took 59 seconds, or just about 1/3 of the actual video length. Iwisoft took 13:35 to render a 22:42 long video or about 60% of the actual video. That's significant to me. In the iskysoft preferences it did default to 8 cores so that may be the reason, in my particular case. If you don't have a hyperthreading quad core processor the render times may be the same, I can't say.

But the deal breaker for me with iwisoft was that it connected to it's homepage to check for updates every time I opened it! What the heck is that all about? I didn't see an option to stop that either. And on that page it said they had removed that "feature". Well, they haven't.

So, overall, iwisoft will probably win out. But at this point I'm leaning towards just buying iskysoft. For $35 it's a bargain for what it does.

Joe

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications