DVD Ripper

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Valued Member

DVD Ripper

Postby u7mg0 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:31 am

Hi all
i just returned from a safari in Africa. i purchased the DVD they made of our excursions. However, this does not play on any of my DVD machines. i dont know what format they burned it in, but seeing how all were Americans, dont know why they would not ensure it was compatible with US standards. it will play in my computer.

they said it is not copyable. but i need to extract some clips for a show i am making, and maybe rip the whole thing to reburn to be able to play in my DVD machine. i dont want to have my whole family gather around my computer.

is there a program out there that can rip copyrighted DVDs? i know this is a touchy issue, but i am only needing to do this for my own use

thx

Re: DVD Ripper

Postby heckydog » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:59 am

It's probably a PAL format. One way to find out for sure is to read the VIDEO_TS.IFO file with ifoEdit. You can get the program here, http://www.ifoedit.com/. It's free. Or, I have the program installed, and you can send just the VIDEO_TS.IFO file to me and I will read it for you. I'll PM you with an email addy.

Converting PAL to NTSC can be tricky and the results aren't always great. The process also strips any menus that are on the dvd so that would have to be added on with separate software.

Joe

Postby juicedownload » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:10 am

I've had success using DVDDecrypter. App will easily strip the region code protection and any other restrictions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Decrypter.

Stuff like this is why I've moved to mostly digital content. I dislike restrictions, opening anti-theft tape on cases, struggling to burn content to DVDs, it's just a time consuming activity. I think if you buy it, in most cases you should have the right to use it for your personal usage the way you want with backups being a fair usage right.

Tim
Last edited by juicedownload on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Valued Member

Postby u7mg0 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:14 am

thanks to both. this really helps

Postby osharr » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:40 am

Tim ,
Will DVDDecrypter convert PAL to NTSC ? Is stripping region codes the same as converting from PAL to NTSC ?
Ollie
If it ain't broke , don't fix it !

Postby heckydog » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:05 am

osharr wrote:Tim ,
Will DVDDecrypter convert PAL to NTSC ? Is stripping region codes the same as converting from PAL to NTSC ?
Ollie

The short answer is no on both questions. Decrypter only decrypts and since it hasn't been updated for years it may not work on newer encryption types. The region code has nothing to do with the format.

Postby osharr » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks Heckydog ,
I thought that was the case .
Ollie
If it ain't broke , don't fix it !

Postby juicedownload » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:12 am

heckydog wrote:
osharr wrote:Tim ,
Ollie

The short answer is no on both questions. Decrypter only decrypts and since it hasn't been updated for years it may not work on newer encryption types. The region code has nothing to do with the format.

That's the problem, there's another step involved to convert the format, which takes even more time. I hope the OP could just cut the video into short segments for what's needed, rather than convert everything.

Valued Member

Postby u7mg0 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:19 am

I need to rip the whole thing to reburn in NTSC so i can play on my DVD player

so i will try a two step process
thx

Postby heckydog » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:37 pm

u7mg0 wrote:I need to rip the whole thing to reburn in NTSC so i can play on my DVD player

so i will try a two step process
thx

I just replied to your email with the ifo file. It's PAL for sure. I also listed some options for you.

Joe

Esteemed Member

Postby Richard_T » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:15 pm

quite a few DVD players will play both NTSC and PAL discs, however there may be a certain button that needs to be pressed on the remote when turning the DVD player on to make it compatable with NTSC/PAL discs.

Postby heckydog » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:30 pm

Richard_T wrote:quite a few DVD players will play both NTSC and PAL discs, however there may be a certain button that needs to be pressed on the remote when turning the DVD player on to make it compatable with NTSC/PAL discs.

in PAL countries virtually all dvd players will play both formats. In the US it's not quite so easy to find a dual format player. Don't know why that is but greed would be a good place to start. :roll:

But Marshall was able to make an NTSC dvd by using Nero so at least he solved his problem.

Joe

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications