Playing an ISO

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Valued Member

Playing an ISO

Postby u7mg0 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:09 am

i have created several shows to ISO file. occasionaly i would like to play that show from teh ISO, but no program i have will play it. i really didn't want to go into PSP and have to load the whole show (takes forever improting audio etc)...is there any download i can get to paly ISO? thx

Re: Playing an ISO

Postby texan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:33 am

Try Power ISO

This program will show you all files within the ISO file and then let you literally
drag them out, one at a time........

Drag out the audio and video files and then run them using WinDVD or some similar DVD player that runs on a PC.

It's not a totally clean approach, but it eliminates having to render the whole show again.

By the way???? When you created the ISO file; I assume you did it to burn a DVD. Why not just burn an extra copy for archieval purposes........I do this with EVERY show.

Good Luck
Texan

Postby gpsmikey » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:36 am

In addition to what Texan said, Cyberlink PowerDVD can play the files as well (as he indicated, drag the files from the ISO - WinRAR (like WinZip) can also open an ISO - drag the VIDEO_TS folder to a regular folder and point PowerDVD at it). There is also the free utility VLC that allows you to mount an ISO directly - I have not used it myself, but a number of people here have and it seems to work for them. Another option is to also create an exe version of the show which you can play on the PC just by double clicking it. One more option that comes to mind that does not require reloading the show all the time - if you save a version of the .px file that you upload to Photodex for sharing (or create for web), you can also play that by double clicking it - it will launch Presenter which will play the file. There are other options, see which path looks best to you :D

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby juicedownload » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:38 pm

Here's a third option for you, u7mg0.

Try this virtual mount app. It's free to use. And I use it to open iso files all the time.
http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html I once suggested this to someone, and they were amazed that it was possible to open an iso without burning it to a DVD.

Like Mikey said, VLC is a nice option, and, imho, the best, most versatile video player that exists. Video ISO's generally just start playing when you drag it into VLC. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ Power ISO works too, I just never use it.

Tim

Postby Bob R » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Here is something that might interest you, if you would like to play the ISO on a regular TV rather than your PC, (without burning a DVD). I output all my shows to Bluray ISO now. I put them on an external hard drive which I attach to my Seagate Theater + (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product), cost $89. I have the Theater + attached to a 1080P HDTV. The iso plays exactly as though it had been burned to a DVD/BluRay disc - menus, etc. exactly the same. Access the unit like you would an ordinary DVD player via its remote control. The quality is outstanding!

Note that you can also play most other kinds of files, look at photos in high quality, and view other types of video files (like avi or VOB files for instance), and standard DVD ISO files on the Theater +. If that isn't enough, you can hook it up to your Internet connection and watch news and other podcast, get weather and stock reports, and much more.

I use a Seagate Go external drive most of the time with the Theater +. It plugs right in to the Theater + unit making for a neat package, but you can use any external drive.

Bob
Last edited by Bob R on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:20 pm

As Mikey pointed out . . . you can play your ISO files directly using the free VLC player. Here's where you can download a copy: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I use VLC for almost all my video playback needs and find it works very well on everything I throw at it :)

Dan

Valued Member

Postby u7mg0 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:45 am

thank you all for your helpful suggestions. i am still a novice at this. i don't understand what "mount" entails. if i have VLC i can just click on the iso file? or do i have to use another program to extract the video file then play it? does this create a whole new file or just use the existing ISO? thanks again

Postby heckydog » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:31 am

u7mg0 wrote:thank you all for your helpful suggestions. i am still a novice at this. i don't understand what "mount" entails. if i have VLC i can just click on the iso file? or do i have to use another program to extract the video file then play it? does this create a whole new file or just use the existing ISO? thanks again

I would guess that VLC creates it's own, temporary, virtual drive, mounts the video and then plays it. I wouldn't say it creates a whole new file but it's possible that temporarily you have two versions of the video at the same time, the iso file and the mounted files that VLC plays.

'Mounting' an iso file corresponds to inserting a dvd into a physical drive. Whatever software you use to create the virtual drive, they all do the same thing, which is make your computer think there is a physical drive complete with a drive letter like 'L' or 'Q'. Unmounting the iso file is like removing a dvd from a physical drive. It's just a matter of terminology.

I also use VLC, because, imho, it's the best all around player out there. If you want to be able to double-click an iso file and have it open in VLC you will have to set up the file association when you install VLC.

My personal preference is to not associate any file format with VLC. That way I can use the right-click context menu to select VLC or just double-click a file to open a file in it's normal player. For example, a wmv file normally opens in WMP or a mp4 files opens in Quicktime. What you choose to do will depend on what your workflow is.

Joe

Postby Mamba » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:09 am

VLC is the media player king, on multiple platforms.

>My personal preference is to not associate any file format with VLC

Ditto. Also VLC supports drag/drop (at least in Windows); which is is the play method I use most often.

Postby obeeone » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:58 pm

G'day to all those cleverer than I

Has anyone actually tried to play a BluRay ISO file created in PSP in the VLC media player? I can get VLC to play a DVD created ISO file but VLC will not show or open any BluRay created ISO file. Anyone have any ideas? When I create the ISO file I also get a Video file with a .m2ts extension as a seperate file this I can play in VLC and it is HD but it is only the video file of the show but has no menu so the show just starts to play.

I also have TugZip and 7-Zip both of which will open the DVD created ISO but neither will open the BluRay created ISO file. I am using latest version of PSP.

I would like to be able to do what Bob R said he does and play a BluRay ISO file through a media player to the HDTV.
Bob do you just copy the .ISO file straight to an external hard drive and then your media player just plays that file?

Carl
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

Postby Bob R » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:51 am

Yes, Carl.

I just create the Bluray ISO file either to an internal drive (and then later copy it to an external drive) or directly from Proshow to the external drive. I hook up the external hard drive to the Seagate+ Player and the Player via HDMI cable to my HDTV. Select the ISO file via the Player remote and you get the DVD/Bluray menu you created. Select the show you want (if you have more than one show in the ISO - you get the same menu you would get if you'd burned the ISO to a disc) and it automatically plays in Bluray quality if you outputted it in Bluray. DVD quality if you outputted DVD quality.

One tip if you decide to get one of these players is to also get a Seagate GO drive in 500 gigabytes or less (I understand that some of the bigger drives don't fit directly into the docking port on the Player). Watch for one on sale that is bundled with the docking port. The Player has a simple port you slide the drive into. It makes for a very neat-looking unit by your TV. With the docking port on your desktop, you just move the hard drive back and forth from your computer to add or remove ISO and other files. Note, however, that ANY USB external drive will work with the Player.

With this setup you do not need either a Bluray player or the expensive recordable Bluray discs to view your shows in Bluray quality. You will likely find that while your shows based only on photos look great in Bluray, if you use a cheap point-and-shoot camera for video, the output may look worse than is does at DVD quality. That makes a great excuse for upgrading your video camera :-)

Bob

Postby obeeone » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:28 pm

G'day Bob

Thanks for all the info re the ISO file and your player. Do you also get the seperate video file with an m2ts extension when you create a BluRay ISO? I'm blowed if I know why I get that extra file.

Thanks again

Carl
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/obeeone

There are 10 types of people who understand binary:
Those who do and those who don't.

Postby Bob R » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:55 am

No, Carl, I don't get the separate .m2ts file extension. At least not where I've noticed it. There could be one created somewhere as a temp or supplemental file, I suppose. I'll keep an eye out for it. All you need is the ISO file. BTW, an .m2ts file may be playable directly on your computer (depending on the codecs you have installed) or via the Media Player. I play .mts files made with my camcorder directly on the Media Player.

Bob

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications