Looking for a scrapbooking product

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

Re: Looking for a scrapbooking product

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:40 am

trulytango wrote:...you can do whatever you want and sod the black bars that result!

You are so correct, Iris. Sometimes 4:3 works best, sometimes 16:9, and then there are times when nothing will do but to use 1:1. I did a show using the square format that simply wouldn't have looked right with any other dimensions. The black surrounding the image served extremely well as a frame.

Also being a user of Digital Scrapbook Artist (and totally loving it), I quickly discovered you can use absolutely any ratio you like, so that's no problem at all, Jim.

Iris and I could become spokeswomen for Serif if they'd have us.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Valued Member

Postby jskintauy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:02 am

Hi Iris,

Thanks for the information about the free version. I will decide on what to get this week. All the suggestions are good. :)

I wanted to ask a question about Digital Scrapbook Artist 2. It has a feature called Image Cutout Studio. Does this feature work better than the Magic Extraction Tool in Photoshop Elements? I think the tool in Elements is frequently inadequate for doing fine extractions. If the Image Cutout Studio feature works much better, that would be a real help. In fact, I was looking at the Topaz website and they have a tool for doing this that I was going to evaluate and possibly purchase. Their tool costs $70. Digital Scrapbook Artist costs $50 and if it works well, I get a great scrapbook program and a better extraction tool for less than I would pay for the extraction tool from Topaz! Thanks ahead for any guidance here.

Jim
Jim S

Postby trulytango » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:03 am

Hi there

I don't have Elements, Jim, I have Photoshop CS. Element's Magic Extraction Tool you refer to is probably a version of Photoshop's Magic Wand tool... and the cutout studio in Scrapbook Artist does a pretty good job by comparison. Like the magic wand tool, you can vary the sensitivity/tolerance and add to your selection gradually when selecting fiddly or multiple toned areas.

Of the two, I'll be honest and say I prefer to use Photoshop for detailed extractions rather than DSA - mainly out of habit because I like to use a mixture of tools i.e. the pen tool mainly, along with the magic wand. However, the range of features available within DSA 2 is astounding for the price - especially 'Blend Modes', and it's Digikit Creator gives you access to everything you need each and every time.

TTFN
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Previous

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications