DVD Case Label Print Problem Photoshop

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

DVD Case Label Print Problem Photoshop

Postby leialoha » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:04 pm

I have designed the DVD Case label in Photoshop -- designing the cover art isn't a problem but when I print the label page out I cannot get it to the correct dimensions and it "scrunches" up on the page. Has anyone some tips about printing the label?

Thanks in advance for the help - Deborah

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: DVD Case Label Print Problem Photoshop

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:23 pm

Deborarh,

Getting the alignment on the page requires you to set your margins in your document accordingly. I would develop a grid of horizontal and vertical lines inside of Photoshop, using your existing DVD Template as a guide. By placing both vertical and horizontal lines 1/10 of an inch apart, you will create a grid network that will allow you to align your image perfectly. To make things easier, I would also put a text box on every tenth line with an incrementing number 1,2, 3 inches. Do this for both directions. In this way you have a horizontal and vertical ruler to tell you how far off you are from center.

Does this make sense? Also, what kind of printer do you have?

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby leialoha » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:22 pm

Thank you Vernon -

The grid lines make sense - I don't have a DVD template though I have been looking for a usable one - but what I mean is that when the page is printed where I have the page set in Photoshop for approx 10.75" x 7.25" landscape it prints out approx 8.5" wide - the height is ok but I can't get a full width landscape page to print out - the margin on the left hand side is far too deep - I haven't really printed things out from Photoshop and I'm unsure how to handle all the different types of print settings.

I hope this makes the problem clearer - thanks for your tips on the grids that kind of thing always makes layout easier - Deborah

Postby heckydog » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:39 pm

DVD Template:

There are basically 2 sizes of dvd cases, standard that has a 1/2" spine width, and slim cases, that have a 1/4" wide spine. The dimensions for the front and back area are the same for either one. So the difference between the 2 types is only the width of 1/4" due to the different spines.

Ideally, what you'd want to do is set up guide lines in photoshop that will show you the boundaries you have to stay within. That will become your template. I do a lot of dvd covers myself so I wrote a couple of actions to automatically open a new file and add the guide lines automatically. If you like I can send you the files. Below is a picture of what the standard case template looks like that I work with. I'm also showing the Actions palette so you can see some of the actions I have made that really save me a lot of time. You can also set the guidelines manually but that takes lots of time and if you do a lot of dvd covers it gets tired real fast.

The other nice thing is you can set your assets to snap to the guidelines and that will help in spacing things out correctly.

As far as your printout being scrunched, it sounds like you need to set your printer to print in landscape mode. It's not enough that you're editing in landscape mode in PS, your printer has to be told to print that way. Since printers vary so much you'll have to look for that setting but it's probably in Page Setup.

Joe

Postby leialoha » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Joe -

Thank you very much for your help - I'm ending it for tonight - totally bleery eyed but I think I am starting to understand what you and Vernon are saying - haven't done that much in Photoshop so I'll start fresh tomorrow and see what I can get ... I thought I had set it to print landscape ... but ... tomorrow -

Thanks Deborah

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:11 am

Deborah

Do you happen to have Nero (DVD burning software). I have Nero Essentials and this, in the 'Extras', it has templates that are extremely easy to use for printing Cd case, DVD cases etc.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:24 am

Deborah,
I took the liberty of doing a google search for photoshop dvd templates and ran across several. Here is a link to a free one that will allow you to design the DVD-Face and DVD-Case. The PSDs are free for download. I have another solution that I use to print with, so I have not tried this one personally. Make sure that your antivirus is up to date. Downloading can be risky business.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/7-great-lo ... templates/

Regards,
-Vernon

Postby leialoha » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:40 am

Wow! What wonderful help to wake up to. I was flattened yesterday - I had completed a set of shows for a great client and when I went to finalize the dvd case labels they did not fit the cases and trimming them looked awful - I had only done jewel case labels before.

I had to send the project off to meet the deadline but it broke my heart to have good shows encased in very tacky looking cases...the external presentation was not what I wanted but I had run out of time. I used Memorx exPressit and it looked great on the screen but printed out was not wide enough to fill the outside of the case. So I started looking around to see that this does not happen again. So I ended up at Photoshop ...

One more cup of coffee and I'll start with all your suggestions and post later today.

Again thanks to you all - you don't know how much I appreciate the help!

Deborah

Postby leialoha » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:34 am

Thanks to you all ... have spent some frustrating time but this may help others (also I'll do just about anything not to have to work in Photoshop).

Even with all your ideas I couldn't get it to print correctly out of Photoshop - but I did find a nice set of Photoshop template downloads at digitalfaq.com.

Went back into the original program I used -- ExpressIt -- and rummaged around - under Tools - Program Options - Paper type I changed it from letter to A4 - wow printed out perfectly!

Thanks as always for all the help - it really makes a difference to know that the support is out there.

Deborah

Postby czali » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:02 pm

Deborah,

I use Photoshop to make my designs as well. When I am done I save it as a img file and bring it into the software that my DVD labels has specified (Memorex Expressit Label Maker). This is available for free download. Take a look at what you labels have and go with that. I open up the software and click on "Use my own background" and apply the img file.

Printing directly from Photoshop never worked for my either so I thought I would offer you my work-around. Good Luck!

Colleen

Chavakano

Postby Chavakano » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:35 pm

I use Acoustica CD Label Maker it has an option to print DVD case labels

Regards

Chavakano

Postby sbuckel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:13 pm

I just ran across this post while exploring this evening. I think you had an issue with your print driver, and to get around this issue I would try the following:

I am assuming you will be printing on 8.5 x 11 inch paper to print on to make your label.

Create a blank photoshop file that is also 8.5 x 11 and set for the print resolution you prefer (I use 240 dpi and others use 300 or 360 dpi they all work well).

Now set up guides like the earlier post suggested. When you do your layout got just beyond the guides as this will make trimming go a bit easier. Laying out over your guides is what the print industry refers to as a bleed. I generally will use about a 1/8 in bleed (0.125 in).

I also recommend saving the file as a template for future use. I have several templates depending on the type of DVD case I am using.

I hope this helps,

Scott

Postby AMD » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:37 pm

I agree with Chavakano that Acoustica is the route to go for DVD labels, case inserts, and covers. They make designing them really simple and easy.

Ann

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications