Video Convesion Problem

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Esteemed Member

Video Convesion Problem

Postby rlsu » Sat May 22, 2010 6:13 am

I am trying to put a show together that contains some home video of kindergarten kids singing. The video was old home video that was converted to a DVD by Ritz Camera. I tried to convert the VOB files using several different programs that I have used in the past, but when I look at the file that was converted, it does not have the audio from the original video and it plays random little clips on the video. The audio on the converted file is some music that I know is not on my computer. I don't know if this is some way to prevent copying or if I am just doing something wrong. Thanks for any help!
Michelle

Re: Video Convesion Problem

Postby gpsmikey » Sat May 22, 2010 6:41 am

I don't think they have anything there to block copying. Try downloading and installing the free "gspot" utilitiy and see if it will tell you what codecs were used for the audio and video portions of the vob.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/index.htm
In general, I believe .vob files from a DVD are a form of mpeg2. I would expect it to be a standard format or the DVD player would not handle it. You might also search the forum here for "vob conversion" - it has come up in the past (recognize that the vob/mpeg2 file is quite compressed so any conversion will lose some quality depending on just what you do).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby rlsu » Sat May 22, 2010 6:59 am

Mikey,
Thanks for the quick response. I downloaded the program that you told me too, but I am really not sure what I am looking for or what to do with the program. I see an MPEG-2 in the container section of the program and in the Video section but not sure where to go from here.

I have used 3 different VOB conversion programs, but all had the same results. I'll try to search the forum to see if there are any other conversion programs I haven't tried.

Thanks so much for your help!
Michelle
Michelle

Postby gpsmikey » Sat May 22, 2010 7:09 am

Once you have installed Gspot, you can use it to check the file in question. You should get a display that looks something like this where it lists the video and audio codecs used.

By the way, great name !! (same as my daughter :D )
mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Esteemed Member

Postby rlsu » Sat May 22, 2010 7:50 am

Thanks so much! With your help and the help of the forum, I was able to figure it out. I was using the wrong VOB file and there was no audio so the music that I was getting was from the DVD. I copied the VOB file and then changed the extension to mpg and it worked.

Thanks again!!! I love this forum! There are so many wonderful people here.
Michelle

By the way, I like your name too! (My dog is Mikey) :D
Michelle

Postby gpsmikey » Sat May 22, 2010 9:06 am

Glad you got it sorted !! Mikey is a great name for a dog :D

For anybody interested, here is some information on how the files on a DVD are organized:
http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/Helppro/vts.htm
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

mikey

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications