GAOTD Atmosphere Lite Plus

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
lahazard

GAOTD Atmosphere Lite Plus

Postby lahazard » Mon May 10, 2010 11:54 am

EDITED SPECIAL NOTE - Please read my additional entry below about a special deal direct from the author of the software for approx the next 24 hours (it's now around 3:45am Eastern on May 11)

Wanted to give folks a heads up about today's freebie at Giveaway of the Day.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/atmosphere-lite-plus/

(Giveaway is good until 3am eastern time - May 11, 2010)

It is a program to generate ambient and nature sounds that can be saved and used as mp3's, ogg, or wave files. It is a neat little program and seeing as this version is free for today, you might want to give it a trial run and see if it is something you could add to your toolbox for generating sounds and background ambiance.

You can find more about the product at....

http://www.vectormediasoftware.com/products.htm

I am upgrading today to the Deluxe Version.

Louis

P.S. I recommend you read through the reviews to see if folks with your computer set-up are having any problems with the program. I use Win 7 Professional 64 bit and have had no problems with installation or use of the software. And I find the quality of sound of the Lite version to be very close to the quality of many of the Nature sounds CD's I own that were professionally produced. (The deluxe version is suppose to have even higher quality sound generation) Your mileage may vary, but again, since it is free today, consider giving it a try.

P.P.S. IMPORTANT Edit!

If you want to use the output in your shows for sale, there is a professional version that is higher in cost and you need to read the following...

http://www.vectormediasoftware.com/atmc ... quanda.htm

and

The EULA at...

http://www.vectormediasoftware.com/colicense.rtf

Trying the free version will let you know if it would be worth the investment, and even if you don't use it for your professional shows, it's a fun bit of software for your own relaxation and amateur and personal shows.
Last edited by lahazard on Tue May 11, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lahazard

Re: GAOTD Atmosphere Lite Plus

Postby lahazard » Mon May 10, 2010 12:56 pm

Oh WOW!!!

I just upgraded to the Deluxe version and absolutely love it!!! The sound quality is indeed professional and the increased options make this one a definite keeper for my tool box. (Not to mention my own relaxation arsenal!) Now I just have to budget for a commercial license.

The man who is behind this software, Nick, has been very helpful and quick to respond to my questions.

If you like the Lite version that is available for free today, you will LOVE the Deluxe version.

Louis

P.S. If you write Nick with any questions, please tell him I sent you. I don't get anything from it, but I did tell him I was going to spread the word and I would appreciate him knowing I am a man of my word. Thanks!

Postby gpsmikey » Mon May 10, 2010 2:34 pm

You're gonna cost me more money Louis :twisted: It does sound good (from the samples I listened to).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby GabBill » Tue May 11, 2010 7:45 am

I used to watch GAOTD, but heard some rumors of nasty stuff, re malware, spyware.

Has anyone had any trouble?

Bill
Canon 20D
PS CS3
PSP
http://www.myphotosinmotion.com

Postby gpsmikey » Tue May 11, 2010 7:52 am

I don't know about GAOTD recently, but there have been a bunch of other sites hacked recently and various crap installed on them (legitimate sites). I know Cineform (people in the Sony Vegas forums were talking about it) was hacked recently and Debbie had some notices about some sites being hacked recently also that she posted here.
I hadn't been checking GAOTD much recently because most of the stuff they seemed to have was getting very poor user ratings (as in "FREE" was overpriced :D )

mikey
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)

Postby GabBill » Tue May 11, 2010 8:16 am

I hear ya, Mikey. I'm leery of "free" software.

B
Canon 20D
PS CS3
PSP

Postby silverfox » Tue May 11, 2010 8:23 am

We have had no problems with GAOTD - we have about 8 programs ... maybe lucky?

Postby GabBill » Tue May 11, 2010 9:34 am

Lucky....I dunno.
In principle, I think it's a great way for publishers to demo their work. I've seen names there that are legit software companies. I've also seen programs on GAOTD that i was interested in. I think I even tried a couple. I then read (about a year ago, maybe??) that there was something wrapped in the installers that was installing some malware. I hope that's not the doing of GAOTD and they've gotten past it.

Is it all of them? I doubt it. But I personally just don't want to roll the dice and take the chance. I already create enough of my own problems :(. I've become somewhat cynical over the years of free software offers.

Bill
Canon 20D
PS CS3
PSP

lahazard

Postby lahazard » Tue May 11, 2010 1:47 pm

I cannot speak to anything other than my own experience. And I too, have heard reports from others about problems with GAOTD offerings. And people NEED to be leery of anything they download or access on the NET these days. So your concern is well stated, Bill.

I have been visiting GAOTD for more than 3 years, have downloaded and installed over 60 offerings (not counting games from their game giveaway site), end up uninstalling approx 2/3 of them, and have never had a problem with what i consider malicious spyware, malware, or virus issues. Right now I believe I have at least 15 programs installed that I first found at GAOTD - at least half of which I went on and upgraded to a more "deluxe" version.

I utilize on-access scanning, scan everything I download before unpacking and then again before installing. I run frequent scans of my system and have never found a problem with the things I have downloaded from GAOTD. (Currently I use Zone Alarm Extreme Security.)

I also read every screen that pops up during an installation and if there is anything I do not like about GAOTD it is they do ask if you want to install their toolbar and/or add their bookmarks to your browsers. And after every install their installer DOES attempt to "phone-home" which I have set up my firewall to block and question me for permission. I do it that way because the installer DOES need to access the GAOTD site to verify that the program you are installing is a valid one for that day. They only allow a 24 hour period for installation of each offering and so i accept their non-malicious need to allow for this checking. I do not, however., allow them to route me back to their site AFTER installing. (this ONLY happens, by the way, AFTER an install and never after running the actual program.)

There is one other concern I do have and that is that one needs to ALWAYS set a restore point BEFORE installing any program from GAOTD as the built in uninstall options of some of the programs DO NOT remove everything and the only way to return to your systems previous state is to set a restore point. I do not blame this on GAOTD, however, I see it as sloppy programming on the part of the company producing the software.

As always, however, one should never "freely" download ANYTHING from anywhere on the web without utilizing an arsenal of security features and my rule of thumb is "when in doubt......don't!) :-)

That said, back to this particular program... there is a 21 day trial available if anyone is interested and the installer is NOT from GAOTD. Nick, the guy who wrote the program and runs the company, is very nice and helpful and if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact him with your concerns. And I personally feel the $20 bucks for the Lite version is well worth it and Nick offers a discount if you then upgrade to the Deluxe version. Although I believe most of the folks around here would need to consider the Commercial license if they wanted to include the sounds generated in the shows they sell. I plan on getting one as soon as my budget allows for it.

http://www.vectormediasoftware.com/products.htm

thanks again, Bill for raising your concerns as people DO need to keep them in mind no matter where they get their downloads from, regardless of price.

And Mikey... there have been a lot of real lackluster offerings over recent months. And 99% of the time I wait until there are a number of comments before deciding to try any program they offer. That is why I was quite pleased to find this one the other day. I admit that I went to this one's site and read up on it, downloaded the trial version - tried it out - really liked it - and then went back to get the "free" version, only to upgrade before the 24 hours was up to the Deluxe version. I remain quite happy with my purchase.

Louis

lahazard

HEADS UP SPECIAL DEAL for next 24 hours or so

Postby lahazard » Tue May 11, 2010 10:44 pm

This program is now available from it's own website in 3 versions.....

Lite - totally free

Lite plus - (Normally $19.95)

And Deluxe (Normally $34.95)

For the next 24 hours or so Nick is offering a discount for the Deluxe version bringing the cost to $20. Go to...

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/atmosph ... more-12186

and read comment number 165 if you want a free version of the Lite Plus without having to use the GAOTD installer

and comment number 147 if you want the discount for the Deluxe version

But hurry as Nick is only doing this for a very short while.

Postby GabBill » Wed May 12, 2010 9:59 am

Louis,

Everything you say above is valid. Part of my "day job" is network security, though I'm by no means an NSA expert... I guess I have so much of it during the day, I don't have the head for it at home. Sounds like you scan everything mulitple times, which will certainly hedge your bets. But, as you pointed out, you need to make firewall exceptions, allow certain access for validation purposes and it wanting to reach out to the mother ship. I personally don't want to deal with all that more than absoultely necessary. I also keep more than one scan engine on my systems and do the same before installing something I've downloaded. We all need to be careful. But the odds against you mount as you download more apps. Not to mention the registry. Remnants of programs removed will wreak havoc over time.
I also have enough trouble wrapping my head around much of the software I already have. I'm content to wrestle with as little as I have to. Again, IMHO.
I wasn't trying to steer anyone away from Atmosphere...just wanted people to be aware of some of the inherent dangers of free software. Sound like Vector Media is legit and Nick is trying to do the right thing. But, as Mikey pointed out, some very legitimate sites are getting hacked. All this is not say we should curl up and not download anything; rather, be careful and selective of what you put on your systems.

Bill
Canon 20D
PS CS3
PSP

Postby gpsmikey » Wed May 12, 2010 10:04 am

Ok, ok -- you got me. Sounds good, Nick sounds like a good guy and actually responds to questions etc so I couldn't resist it. Purchased the Deluxe version :lol: I liked the way the samples sounded. :D

mikey

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications