GIMP

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

GIMP

Postby Anna J » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:11 pm

Many of you probably know about GIMP, but for those of you who don't, it is a free image manipulation program that will do much of what the $600 version of Photoshop does. You can find the download site thru Google. There are tons of tutorials on the internet. Photoshop brushes can be used in GIMP and possible some of the actions. Rather than try to describe all that it will do here, I'll just suggest going to a GIMP site and looking for yourself. You might enjoy using it and the price is definitely right.
Anna J
Anna

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: GIMP

Postby pilotdan63 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:52 pm

Another free "alternative" to Photoshop is Paint.Net which I have found to be much easier and more intuitive to work with than GIMP. That said, GIMP is a very powerful photo manipulation program on a par with Photoshop.

Here's the Paint.Net link: http://www.getpaint.net/ :wink:

Dan

Postby Anna J » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:10 pm

Dan,
You're right. Paint.net is easier to use. I forced :? myself to learn how to use GIMP because I fell in love with BarbaraC's Mosaic frame and that required using Photoshop. I gambled and bought her Mosaic even though I didn't have Photoshop and easily adapted Barbara's Photoshop instructions to GIMP. Here's the Mosaic frame that forced me to learn how to use GIMP. http://www.theframelocker.com/mosaic.html Using GIMP is like learning key frames and masks: once the light bulb goes on, you think "well that wasn't so hard after all". I'm still learning though. Maybe someday I'll win the lottery and have Photoshop, Bluff Titler, and all those other neat things. :D By the way, if anyone wants to download GIMP and buy Barbara's mosaic, PM me and I'll send you the GIMP instructions. Here's the link to the show Barbara made using Mosaic: http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 5228&alb=0
Anna
Anna

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:15 am

All I can say is . . . WOW !!! :shock:

Dan

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:53 am

Believe it or not, Anna, I'd completely forgotten about that demo. I just now went back to watch it so I could figure out what the devil you were referring to, and it immediately reminded me that it was part of the reason your GIMP instructions are included in the free download on my site for fitting a picture to a frame. Hey, you deserve your own credit!

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Esteemed Member

Postby moehler » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:34 am

I would have to respectively disagree that Gimp can do much of what Photoshop can do. I'm not saying that Gimp doesn't have it's place, but I think Photoshop is top if the heap in image editing for a reason. I have used Gimp and it is fine, but I find the interface a little kludgey and, for me, unintuitive. I may be that it is just that I am so used to the Photoshop interface.

Just my 2¢.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Mark . . . I too found the original Gimp interface difficult to use which moved me to the more "user friendly" Paint.Net program however the newest Gimp interface has been re-done and is now much more user friendly.

PhotoShop is probably the very best, although pricey :wink:

Dan
Last edited by pilotdan63 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:55 am

As that old saw goes, to each his own. I'd be lost without Photoshop because I need its power for the things I do. Not everyone is into graphics or photography, and so Photoshop would likely be overkill and overpriced for them. A step down to Photoshop Elements might be just the thing, but then there are others who simply want the ability to do a bit of controlled cropping, contrast adjustment, or color repair, and who needs Elements for that? Free programs are a great solution.

Barbara

Postby Anna J » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:43 am

Hey guys,
Barbara is right..."to each his own" and this "each" would love to own Photoshop, but I don't have $600 to spend on it. :cry: So I love weird, quirky, and free GIMP. I like paint.net too. And just in case there are some here who don't like either GIMP or paint.net, here's a link to other editing software, most of it free:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pixelb ... otoedw.htm
Anna
Anna

Postby gpsmikey » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:27 am

One thing to keep in mind with GIMP - it has a feature you don't find in Photoshop and most of the others ... it runs in Linux as well and there are a surprising number of folks out there that have Linux machines for various reasons (including a complete hate for windows based stuff). Like the "vi" editor - while not the best text editor by a long ways, it is available in versions (has been for many years) that run under dos, windows, unix (one of the original editors in the Unix world). Definite advantage when moving between platforms if your tool of choice works the same on both sides of the fence. (yes, I have a number of Linux machines at home although I don't do any image editing on them).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Nena902

Postby Nena902 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:42 am

Greetings and Salutations I am new here. I am an avid user of Gimp since last year and I am currently at the intermediate user level. I have found a ton of Gimp tutorials on YouTube and there is a boy genius who goes by the name of GimpKnowHow, his website can be found through his YouTube tutorials. In my opinion, this 12 year old boy can teach better than some professors I have had in college! I have to admit that in the beginning, Gimp can be very intimidating but as the other poster above said, once the lightbulb goes on, everything falls into place. As far as Gimp v. Photoshop, there is no question that Photoshop has more but Photoshop can be just as daunting to use as Gimp for a beginner, too, so it's not question of one software v. the other for simplicity when you are a beginner. Everything has a start point and whatever you choose to use, my recommendation is to read everything you can about your program, watch every tutorial you can get your hands on and practice, practice, practice. For a person who is not a professional graphics artist or who doesn't have several hundred dollars at their disposal to plop down on software, Gimp is a free alternative and a good one. After using Gimp for a year, both as a photography editing program and a graphic arts program, I am at the point where I can translate a photoshop tutorial into a Gimp tutorial because aside from a handful of differences, they are not that far apart. There is always something new to learn and you can't learn enough, just like with Photodex Proshow. Anyone needing help with Gimp, if I can't teach you I can still point you in the direction of those who can.

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:57 am

Welcome to the forum, Nena902! What a nice entrance you've made with your post, offering help to others right out of the starting gate. That's what this forum is all about--helping one another. There are also those wonderful moments of nuttiness that can brighten anyone's day.

Barbara

Postby Oldguy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:14 pm

While we are on this subject, something I have been
wondering about. I have Elements, would I benifit
by having Paint or Gimp? Sometimes, I do get
frustrated with Elements that I can't do something.
Thanks for feedback

Forrest

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Forrest, it sure couldn't harm anything if you were to try totally free software. The worst that could happen is you wouldn't like it and would say the heck with it. The best would be that you'd find ways to do things you haven't found before.

Barbara

Nena902

Postby Nena902 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Forrest, I have never used Elements but a quick google tells me this is a program for photo editing and organization only. Here are my personal thoughts. If you are interested in making your own backgrounds and graphic arts and even making your own animations for your slideshows in PSP, then you need something that will allow you to do that. Once you get going on a combined software such as Photoshop or Gimp, you will probably never go back to using Elements, it simply won't be enough. If you do not want to make your own backgrounds, graphic arts and animations, and you want to stick with Elements for photo editing, then there are plenty of open resources such as Deviantart.com or Stockxchang.com where you can register and find whatever you need to use in your slideshows there. Hope this helped with your decision.

Next

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications