GIMP

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

Re: GIMP

Postby Oldguy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks Barbara & Nina
I am going to get Gimp/Paint! And I would like to make backgrounds etc.

Thanks again, I didn't realize these programs would do that!

Forrest

Postby Anna J » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Forrest,
I still can't afford Photoshop and I'm still in love with GIMP and it's weird interface. Once I learned how to use GIMP, Paint.net seemed too limited for me. But it's free so is still on my computer.
Like Nena, I would be happy to help you with any GIMP project you want to try. Just PM or email me and let me know what you're trying to accomplish. I've found that I can adapt most Photoshop tutorials to GIMP but you will need to be familiar with GIMP before you try that as you'll have to figure out which GIMP command corresponds to the Photoshop commands.
Download GIMP and give it a try. You've got two beautiful women ready to be your personal tutors (are you a beautiful woman, Nena? :D)
Anna
Anna

Postby Oldguy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:07 am

How can a guy refuse an offer like that!! LOL
Thank You very much, I am going to download
Gimp today. really appreciate your offer.

Forrest

Nena902

Postby Nena902 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:12 am

Forrest, I concur with Anna on this. I think you have to decide first if you want to just paint simple backgrounds or be able to do photomanipulations ( this if you don't know means taking elements out of one or more photos and combining to create a whole new photo), animations for your slideshows, creating shiny metalic text and a miriad of other projects. It also enables you to do wonderful things with your photographs like sepia-toning, turning a photo into a sketch with the click of a button, photo correction, and too many things to list. Paint will not let you do all those things. If you want to just see what Gimp is all about, I strongly suggest you go over to a forum called "Gimpknowhow.com" or better still go to Youtube and watch some of Braedan's tutorials which can be found if you search in YouTube for GimpKnowHow, just to see how powerful this program is. Once you decide, then between me and Anna, I am sure we can help you get started with simple projects. I will never refuse someone who asks for my help and if I don't know the answer, then I will point you in the direction of someone who can.

I came here for help with using Masks on Proshow so that I could learn how to create unique transitions within my slides and improve on my proshow skills, as I am on a plateau and not advancing, my slideshows are getting boring with the same stuff over and over again, and I just feel it in my heart that this forum was the right place for me to come. And in turn, I don't mind helping folks with things that I am good at.

Postby Oldguy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:09 am

Thanks Nena & Anna and everone. I now have Gimp
and am amazed at some of the things it has. Am
still learning my way around the interface.
Thanks for your good advice.

Forrest

Previous

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications