VLC Windows 7 64bit

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Valued Member

VLC Windows 7 64bit

Postby janera » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:24 pm

Hello Experts, I need help where better to turn than this forum. I did a search of topics but couldn't find one that addressed this particular problem. I am trying to play ISO files on my new system with the only version available of VLC. They will not play. I then tried to run it in compatibility mode; still will not play. I uninstalled VLC. Is there an alternative that will work with Windows7 64 bit or are my days of playing ISO files over.
Any advice you have will be appreciated. :)
Jane

Re: VLC Windows 7 64bit

Postby cherub » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:39 pm

Hi Jane,

Once upon a time I also tried to use VLC but was disappointed. It had nothing to do with the OS, but rather with the program itself.

The best way to test an ISO file (either created by ProShow or by any other program) is to place it on a VIRTUAL DRIVE and play it with your normal media player program, the one that you use to watch DVDs on your computer.

I know of two programs that create virtual drives. Both are free for personal use:
http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/home
or:
http://download.cnet.com/Daemon-Tools-L ... ?tag=mncol

Hope this helps,

Postby heckydog » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:42 pm

janera wrote:Hello Experts, I need help where better to turn than this forum. I did a search of topics but couldn't find one that addressed this particular problem. I am trying to play ISO files on my new system with the only version available of VLC. They will not play. I then tried to run it in compatibility mode; still will not play. I uninstalled VLC. Is there an alternative that will work with Windows7 64 bit or are my days of playing ISO files over.
Any advice you have will be appreciated. :)
Jane

There is no program that will play an iso file directly because it's not a playable file. It has to be mounted to a virtual drive like Mona said. There could be any number of different formats in that iso file. A dvd movie, mp3's, video files, data, anything.

I have W7 and VLC 1.05 and it's working great for whatever I need it for.

btw, I highly recommend Daemon Tools, the free version. Unobtrusive and it does the job well. You can only mount up to 4 virtual drives but I've never used more than 3 anyway.

Joe

Postby cherub » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Joe,

There is no program that will play an iso file directly because it's not a playable file.

I think that Jane is referring to a tweak of VLC that does allow it to play ISO files.
I even think that somebody posted the "how to" in this forum, about 2 years ago.
But, as I said before, it never worked well for me. Some features of the DVD could not be displayed properly in VLC. It did play the ISO, but without all the correct settings.

I'm using Daemon Tools too and I'm very happy with it.

Here is a tutorial that refers to all the 3 programs that were mentioned above.
Could be a bit old, but it's adequate:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive ... _files.cfm

Postby rdurga » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:32 pm

I am new to this subject.

1. Can I make ISO (blue ray)file in producer and mount on DT lite virtual drive? Then play with windows media player on my computer?Can you pl suggest workflow.

2. Why do you need more than one virtual drive?

3.With virtual drive, I could save my video files (ISO) in dvd format on my external hard drive? I need not burn dvds and physically store them. Am I correct in my assumption?

ram

Postby cherub » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:59 pm

Ram,

rdurga wrote:1. Can I make ISO (blue ray)file in producer and mount on DT lite virtual drive? Then play with windows media player on my computer?ram

Can you play a physical Blue Ray DVD with your Windows Media Player on your computer ?
I don't know if Windows Media Player fully supports Blue Ray.

rdurga wrote:2. Why do you need more than one virtual drive?ram

A virtual drive has many uses, and not all of them are related to ProShow.
You can start by installing just one drive, and if you find the need for more, you'll be able to add them later.

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:35 pm

I have Nero 9 installed and I can play ISO files, including Blu-Ray ISO, using Nero ShowTime. It's just another option that might work for you. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Mike

Postby heckydog » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:30 am

cherub wrote:Joe,

There is no program that will play an iso file directly because it's not a playable file.

I think that Jane is referring to a tweak of VLC that does allow it to play ISO files.
I even think that somebody posted the "how to" in this forum, about 2 years ago.

A little research uncovered some Wiki articles about VLC and playing iso's directly. It needs to be compiled with "The Compact Disc Input and Control Library (libcdio)". I don't have a clue what that means or how to do it but on the surface it doesn't sound very practical. And I don't know if it would work with dvd's either. They only mention CD's in the article.

About multiple virtual drives. I've had occasions where I might be editing a video in After Effects and I want to review a lynda.com tutorial for a special effect. So I have that on one virtual drive. Then I might have a SmartSound file loaded on another virtual drive so I can select the music. Then I might need a second lynda.com tutorial so I mount a 3rd virtual drive. And it still leaves my two "real" drives free if I need to take a break and watch a movie.

I have all my Smartsound discs on an external hard drive as iso files. The actual discs are safely tucked away. The same goes for the lynda files. I don't have as many of those so they share another hard drive with other important files. Using iso files saves wear and tear on your real optical drives, it safeguards your original discs since they are never used, and it allows faster access to the files on the virtual disc. And virtual drives take up practically zero space until you actually mount something on them.

Joe

Postby rdurga » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:16 am

Tks Mona for an immediate reply. I have mentioned windows media player as an example.

Tks Joe for explaining the need for multiple virtual drives.

ram
Last edited by rdurga on Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lahazard

Postby lahazard » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:22 am

I may not fully understand what the actual question/issue is, but I can say that I use WinMount (64bit version)

http://www.winmount.com/

on Win7 Pro (64bit) and have no problems playing iso files with VLC 1.0.5.

Louis

P.S. Mona! I love your new styles!!!

Postby cherub » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Ram,

Does the Daemon tools come with a player so that I can play ISO (BD) files after mounting as virtual drive with DT? How else can I play ISO (BD) files after mounting as virtual drive on computer?

Daemon Tools is not a player. Daemon Tools only emulates/creates the virtual drive on your computer. When you "mount" the iso file on this virtual drive, It is as if you insert a regular DVD in one of your DVD drives on your computer.
The next step after the disk is in place is, of course, to play it.
I'm not very familiar with Blue Ray, as I never had the need to make a show in this format.
That is why I don't know which media programs support this format, and I can't recommend one for you to use as a player.

Louis says above that he uses VLC -which is a free player - in conjunction with another program that creates a virtual drive. So, you may try VLC too.

Louis,
Thank you very much for the nice words. I'm happy that you like the new styles :D

Postby rdurga » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi Mona,

Tks for your explaination.

I was reading help on DT and understood what is mounting. Then I have edited my message without realizing you have answered my layman queries.

Since I donot have blueray player with my computer, I am trying to make a ISO (BD)file in producer and then mount with DT. I wanted to check quality difference between BD and regular DVD quality. The slides are 1920 x 1080.

ram

lahazard

Postby lahazard » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:21 am

Hello ram,

I think I have a clearer understanding now of what you are seeking to do.

I redid one of my shows and burned it as a BD show onto a regular DVD using the info from the following thread....

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14375#p114921

I then made an ISO file and mounted it with WinMount and it played without problems on VLC.

I also found a new freeware Virtual Drive program that is a DVD/Blu-ray emulator that you (and others) might be interested in...

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDFab_Virtual_Drive

I did see a noticeable difference in the BD show compared with my non-BD version, but since I am not doing this as a professional I would say that unless it was a small show (one that would fit without problem on a single standard DVD) the cost ratio to quality of output would not justify my burning my shows as BD versus non-BD. At least now I know I can do it if I choose to and that the shows can be played on a computer as ISO's without having a Blu-ray player.

Louis

Valued Member

Postby janera » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:21 pm

Thank you all for your reponses! So many alternatives and so much information. I recall reading about some of these as I was searching around the internet but now with the information you all have posted I will have a better understanding and not so worried about installing the wrong application. I was very surprised when VLC wouldn't play my iso files since it was what I used on my xp laptop. I just assumed it was the Win7 prof 64bit that was the problem. So now I have lots of reading, re-reading, and downloading to do; thanks to you all. :D Your help is very much appreciated, as always.
Thank you!
Jane

Postby rdurga » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi Louis,
Tks for the feedback on how to produce Blue ray quality slideshows without BD player and burner.

I am working now in video editor –Power director incorporating mikey’s way of working and Yellowstone’s workflow (combining short slideshow clips from producer with the video clips and music in video editor ).

Those who are interested in Yellowstone’s method of assembling a slideshow in Power director can follow this link:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14287&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

This workflow is perfect in producing slideshows on standard DVDs.

Since we are in HD age, I feel we need to produce HD slideshows to enjoy the shows on HD TVs particularly if you have a large HDTV. Blueray has become HD standard. In order to produce HD slideshow, you need blueray burners, blueray DVD blanks and blueray players. It costs a good amount of money to setup blueray workflow. Some are already talking about new technologies. I do not know whether it is worth the effort to convert to blueray or do in steps over a period of time hoping the prices will be affordable.

Mike has outlined an excellent workflow of producing blueray quality slideshows in producer without blueray burners and without blueray blanks. You can follow Louis thread above for tutorial by Mike . Yes, you need BD players to play HD slideshows and slideshows will have to be short. They are not major constraints.

Presently, I do not have a blueray player and do not own a blueray DVD burner. I am looking into possibility of producing and playing HD slideshows without Blueray setup.

That is why I am interested in learning virtual drives. I can produce ISO (BD)files in producer and mount them using DT. I can then watch slideshows in HD on the computer. Next question is - is there a way to watch them on HD TV’s?

Another question is -In Power director, I did not find any links to make ISO (BD) files. I can produce Mpeg-2 (HD) 1080i video clips. Now, how do I play Mpeg-2 files on my computer and on my HD TV?. I suppose you could take these Mpeg-2 video clips from power director to producer and get ISO (BD) files and then mount them in DT. I can then play ISO(BD) files in virtual drive on my computer. Problem is producer is not video friendly and that is the reason to use video editor to assemble the slideshow. I do not know how the producer will behave with Mpeg-2 files.

If any of you know how to convert MPEG-2 (HD)1080i to ISO (BD), please guide me.
If I am on the wrong path, pl guide me.

The topic I am discussing may be deviation from the subject heading. However, It does involve virtual dirve.

ram

Next

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications