video editor under $ 100

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

video editor under $ 100

Postby rdurga » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:04 pm

I am looking for a video editor under $100.00

Most of our editing work will be for home videos from our HD video camera (canon) and for the producer slideshows.

I am looking at powerdirector 8, adobe premere elements, pinnacle studio, corel video studio pro x3, sony vegas movie studio .

Are there any other video editors in this price range?

I need feedback and suggestions....

Tks in advance,

ram

lahazard

Re: video editor under $ 100

Postby lahazard » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:08 pm

Hello ram,

I own the last 4 on your list and while I simply cannot give a good report for Corel's customer support, I do find that I use Corel Video Studio most often as I am most familiar with it and find it a lot more intuitive for the kind of video work I do. I started with Video Studio and Proshow Producer back in 2008 when I had to put together videos and slideshows for a 60's type light show for the 40th reunion of a band I did light-shows for back in the 60's.

I started with Corel as I was able to take advantage of a really great deal back then that included VideoStudio and Paint Shop Pro along with quite a few additional bonuses. (At the time I had nothing to work with as I hadn't done video or photo editing for almost 40 years.)

I purchased the other 3 as I wanted to be able to experiment and see if they offered any advantages over Video Studio. The result is that I find I keep going back to Video Studio (and find the newest X3 release to be faster and smoother for the kind of work I do.)

I admit, however, that I have not done a lot of work with HD files as most of what I have worked with are old 8mm films from the 60's that were burned onto DVD.

I would also add as well that I am very fond of NewBlueFX plugins and without them I am not so sure I would be as positive about Video Studio as they have done a lot of the work for me in cleaning up old films and making them a bit more presentable.

fwiw

Louis

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:22 am

This type of question will generate a ton of different responses. You will probably wind up more confused at the end then you were at the beginning. I typically only recommend two tools, either Premiere Elements or Sony Vegas. They are both extremely strong. In an April 2009 review, PC Magazine rated Premiere Elements as the number 1 editor for under $100 http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2344267,00.asp . But all of these tools have a learning curve. I used to use Pinnacle, but it was so buggy that I left it and went to Premiere Elements. The interface takes a little getting used to. Not unlike Producer. But I think you will find it a great editor. However, I have read of some people having problems with Version 8 of the software. Be wary. Adobe hired the guy who used to work at Pinnacle and this is their first major release with him as the Product Manager. They are trying to make the interface and features more like Pinnacle, but it may be bringing instability with it. Just my observations from the messages I have been reading. A lot of people are using the product without issue, but if you are one of the unlucky ones.... I am using Version 7 and it is pretty solid. The complaints people have seem to be machine dependent. So I would recommed you run a trial first. Both Premiere and Vegas have trial software. I would tend to pick one of the two market leaders and get on with making my shows. Avoid paralysis by analysis.

HTH,
-Vernon

Postby yellowstone » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:23 am

I tested them all and settled on PowerDirector 8. For me, it proved to work best for producing HD output to Blu Ray.
Your mileage may vary so do try them for what you are specifically interested in.
Adobe Premiere seemed to be a very nice and easy to use application, however, I personally found it to have one huge drawback: I couldn't successfully create output to a Bly Ray disk so I got a refund. (And I found a review in a video magazine that confirmed my AP findings for Blu Ray - don't recall the magazine but it was in Sept 09).

I found that Sony Vegas works well with HD also, however, their low-end product doesn't allow menu creation for Blu Ray disks, it has a steeper learning curve and it is also quite a bit slower than PD8.

Again, other people's experiences may vary so pick the one that works best for you on your PC.

Regards
Robert

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:08 am

Another vote for Sony Vegas (the full version) or Vegas Movie Studio Platinum (the little brother version). It is a tough call because what may be the easiest to learn/use initially may limit you in things you find you want to do with the video after you have used it for a bit (track motion, speed changes/reversals etc). As far as Corel Video Studio, that is actually Ulead's old video product (Ulead has gone away - probably due to their horrible customer support (ask me how I know :evil: ) and Corel has picked up their stuff. Decent products, but I'm not sure what the future is for the stuff Corel has picked up (last I heard, Media Studio Pro (Ulead now Corel) their top end video editor was basically at an end).

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby rdurga » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi Robert,

Are you using director 8 deluxe version or ultra?

Can we manage with deluxe version for HD video clips along with psp slideshow clips as you mentioned in your work flow in another discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14287&start=15&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

ram

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications