Looking for png site

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

Looking for png site

Postby Deb » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi everyone!!

I am trying to find a site/program that has png images to download (or purchase) At the moment I am looking for a bunch of balloons - I have found a few but they look a bit 'cheap'. Can anyone recommend a good site - I know some of the scrapbooking sites have some good stuff but I have not been able to find what I am looking for ..... :(

Thanks!!

Deb

Re: Looking for png site

Postby AMD » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:44 pm

You might try this link. I have used some actions, .pngs, etc.

http://www.commercial-use.com/shop/inde ... rd=balloon

Ann

Postby Deb » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:23 pm

Thanks Ann! That's just what I was looking for!! :D

Postby debngar » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:59 am

I kind of wonder from vendor to vendor how to find out the resolution of some of these products before purchasing. Some wind up being a disappointing low resolution and cannot be used to zoom into them at all, while others may be a higher resolution, much crisper image. When paired with decent quality images, low res images look amateurish and out of place. I would want them to be high res images.

I'm not saying the products in the link shared in the post above is like that. I'm just saying that some product sites offer disappointing low resolution images.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby AMD » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:38 am

Debbie,

I have to say that I haven't been disappointed, so far, in the resolution (300 dpi) of the items I have purchased from the commercial-use site. I like that site and a couple of others because they are for commercial use. I am really enjoying some of the actions and am doing some Christmasy things with some actions.

Here is a quick little sample I have done that utilizes an ornament action with images inside.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AMD10000#p/ ... 46LyD1WOgs

Ann

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:52 am

One little comment (well, ok, not so little ... :lol: ) on resolution here (this just came up again in the Nikonians (Nikon Camera users group). The term "dpi" has NO relationship by itself to the resolution of the image. "dpi" is "dots per inch" and is related to printing etc. I can have an image that is 3000 * 2000 pixels and have it at 72dpi, 300dpi or even 5dpi - the image "resolution" is the same, however the "printed" size would be different. The important number is the number of pixels in the image (in this case 3000 * 2000 = 6,000,000 ) - that is what determines the level of detail in the image. You can adjust the "dpi" of an image at any time without actually changing the resolution (amount of information in the image) of the image at any time. Remember the "dpi" relates to a physical media - yes, scanning an image at 300 dpi will give better results than scanning at 72 dpi, but that is because you are working with a physical media (print in this case). Once you have that image scanned in to your system, the term "dpi" really has no meaning related to image resolution.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby AMD » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks for the clarification, Mikey. I didn't mention ppi simply because the sites just post the print dpi.

Ann

Valued Member

Postby smitty1946 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:51 am

Agreeing with Mikey, here is a site that might be of interest.
http://www.larry-bolch.com/dpi-revealed/

Smitty
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Postby Deb » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies!

I agree with Debbie about the resolution - it is not clear on the site what size file you are purchasing which is a little off putting so it helps that someone (ie Ann) has actually recommended it - I would not be that keen on using the site if I had just stumbled onto it although their prices are quite reasonable. :?

Having said all that - after reading Mikey and Smitty's comments, I really have no idea about resolution so the extra info would not have meant much to me anyway!!! :lol: It's all so confusing!!

Thanks again!

Deb

PS I got sorted with the balloons btw!!

Postby AMD » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Deb,

I have been having fun with several things from a couple of the scrapbook sites that sell for commercial use; occasionally they have some really good prices; e.g., $.89, $1, and $2 prices on some neat things. I have especially enjoyed the Photoshop actions where I can easily make my own personalized images.

I didn't want to download personal-use-only things since I didn't want to co-mingle graphics and have to worry about the use of them. With the commercial items I know I am legal using them in either personal or commercial projects. There are actually several sites that have some pretty neat inexpensive items. I would give you the name of the other one that I like, but my regular computer with the link died this afternoon, and I am now on my laptop which has nothing.

Glad you found some balloons that worked for you.

Ann

Postby Deb » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:45 am

Hi Ann (or anyone who can help!!)

I just purchased some letters from the site you recommended but I cannot figure out how to install them!! :? Here are the instructions:

- Extract the files from within of ZIP
- Save the brush 112_02.abr
- Save the file RPADO_Back_Plush_01.png in a paste of easy access
- Save the file ATN in the paste Action of the PS
- Click in Play Selection
- Follow the instructions during the work of Action

I have managed to extract the files and I think I saved the brushes but the rest has me baffled!!! :oops: Can you help?? I have CS3 ... I'm guessing it is going to be really easy to do once I know how! :lol:

Thanks again

Regards, Deb

Postby trulytango » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:02 am

Hi there... that's a lovely Christmas sample, Anne :D

Can I just add a few notes regarding files available via digital scrapbooking sites.

Regarding resolution, the digital scrapbooking industry is geared towards prints that are 12" square @ 300dpi... and you'll find the dimensions of most backgrounds to be 3600 by 3600 pixels (12 million + pixels). By comparison, consider Photodex's own standard backgrounds measure 1600 by 1200 pixels (4:3) and 2133 by 1200 pixels (16:9), at 230 dpi... much lower resolution, not designed specifically for printing, but still able to handle a decent zoom in a slideshow.

Scrapbooking elements usually ship in slightly smaller documents e.g. 2400 by 2400 pixels (8"square) for png frames and as small as 4" square (1200 by 1200) for other decorative elements - but that's still plenty of pixels to play with in a slideshow. However, the aim of most digital designers is to produce something realistic, with depth and clarity, but not all succeed - hence the need to shop around and see what is out there. For the commercial slideshow maker, I'd recommend a collection of Royalty Free images on CD/DVD as a good investment... especially one that includes Hemera Photo ClipArt - real images (balloons, ornamental details etc.), supplied on transparent backgrounds that are ready to drop right into your shows.

Regards
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby trulytango » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:11 am

Hello Deb

I don't use CS3 - still on CS at this end, but once you have unzipped your brushes (.abr) and action (.atn) files to a convenient location, you can load them for immediate use by opening the relevant palette - go to Window>Action or Window>Brushes and look for a fly-out menu that gives you the option to Load>Action or Load>Brush and the brush or action can be added to your existing selection. If you're not sure how to actually use brushes or actions just let me know and I will point you in the direction of some decent tutorials.

If you are anything like me, collecting brushes and actions can become obsessive, so it's best to start off organised and paste the files into Photoshop's own designated brushes/action folders, but I'm afraid I've not got that far... and I have to wade through hundreds of the blighters to find what I'm looking for. :lol:

TTFN
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby Deb » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:34 am

Hi Iris

Thanks for your help - unfortunately I am at a lossb:( I managed to get everything loaded but have no idea how the action is supposed to work so those tutorials would be great! What would we do without tutorials!!??

I have had CS3 for a while now and have never got round to figuring it out (aside from the basics!) so I guess it is about time!!

Thanks again for your help

Deb

Postby anitaemile » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:24 am

Hi Deb

If you want to learn more about photoshop, I would advise you to watch the videos on youtube from Gavin Hoey. There are so many great and interesting tutorials ..

Anita

Next

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications