Fonts from typenow

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

Fonts from typenow

Postby rdurga » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:17 am

Fonts from Typenow

Windows has a number of fonts preinstalled. Unfortunately, most are pretty boring.

Sure, they're fine for letters and reports. But if you're working on something a little more creative, they just won't do.

So, if you're into scrapbooking or you want to give your presentations a boost, download some new fonts.

You'll find plenty of free ones on the Internet. I found a collection of great fonts at TypeNow. These fonts are based on fonts used for movies and products. They're impressive!

They are free.

http://www.typenow.net/themed.htm

(Source: Kim komando)

Pl check them out,
ram

Re: Fonts from typenow

Postby bellzerr » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:01 pm

Excellent. Thanks. Who would ever think that a font alone could instill immediate memories of movies, TV, etc.

Postby CAPT VIDEO » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:02 pm

I have often wished for something a little different in fonts but have had little success in downloading and using 3rd party fonts. I know this is probably a simple task but I just can't get a grip on the how to's. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Capt Video

Postby bellzerr » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:29 pm

Grab the font file and drag it into /Windows/Fonts folder. That's usually all there is to it. :D
Mark

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:38 pm

CAPT VIDEO wrote:... have had little success in downloading and using 3rd party fonts. I know this is probably a simple task but I just can't get a grip on the how to's

Most fonts are downloaded in a ZIP format. Unzip the file and you'll usually be left with one or more files with an extension such as *.TTF. With Windows Explorer open, locate the font files that were unzipped. Right-click on the font files and select CUT. Now, locate the Fonts folder within the Windows folder. Right-click on the Fonts folder and select PASTE. The font will install itself and you should be ready to go.

Mike

Postby silverfox » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:39 pm

http://www.1001freefonts.com/

Welcome to 1001 Free Fonts - Download Free Fonts for Windows and Macintosh

Postby bellzerr » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:40 am

Hey Mike,
Isn't that what I said? :wink:
Mark

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:36 am

I didn't go so far as to download any of the fonts to look at the individual copyrights, but be assured that they are copyrighted, the terms of which doubtless depending on the creator's wishes. They wouldn't place their fonts up there for free if they didn't wish you to use them, but the place to be a bit careful is where you might use a font in the process of making money such as when producing a local TV ad that you've been commissioned to create. In that specific case, you'd be using someone else's work for your own profit.

Yes, I know. Copyrights can be a pain.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:25 am

On a side note, the other night on PBS, there was an "Independent Lens" segment on fonts and why Helvetica is the most popular font used in graphic design.

Don't know if it's going to be rerun any time soon though.

Fonts, like music, deliver a message with whatever it's used with whether it be formal, contemporary, grunge, or quirky for instance. That's why font choice is an important visual element in a show.

What font are you?

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/helvetica/

Apparently, I'm "Times New Roman" :roll: Ha.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:33 am

I'm Helvetica, a font a sincerely hate, and the reason I'm that font is because they were just about the dumbest questions they could have come up with, doubtless written by some really hip youngster who doesn't know there are other kinds of music and other movies. Oh, and I don't wear any of the clothing styles mentioned. :roll:

Favorite fonts: Kabel, Boring Joined, and then anything that suits the occasion.

Barbara

Postby debngar » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:37 am

Barbara,

You've said you prefer simple and clean. Helvetica is a simple and clean font. But I am with you in questioning the questions. They probably only took in consideration people under 30 which sort of leaves us out. Some questions didn't really offer any answers that fit what I would have picked either. :shock: Oh well. LOL
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:45 am

Yup, Helvetica is clean and simple, but I still despise it. There are far better designs out there in the clean and simple world.

I'd seen two of the movies, one I wouldn't go see if I were paid to do so (bet you know which one), and the rest I've never heard of. Interesting that there was no option to adopt the kitten. What on earth would your husband do?! :lol:

Barbara

Postby tdew » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:47 am

Well, I ended up with Helvetica too - but probably because I had to pick the least ridiculous answer for almost all of the questions. This isn't one I'll pass along, there are too many missing choices.

Postby heckydog » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:09 am

Helvetica?

I think the last time I used that font was on one of those IBM typewriters with the replaceable ball? Remember those?

When I need I a boring, reliable font, I use Arial, Tahoma, or Verdana. When I want to go crazy and over the top I'll go for Times New Roman :D

Joe

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:55 am

The IBM Selectric! It was considered high-end technology, and it was utterly cool, or so we all thought at the time.

Joe, live a little! Try Comic Sans!

Barbara

Next

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications