CaptionsAlive Pro

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

Re: CaptionsAlive Pro

Postby Dave Fitzpatrick » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:39 pm

I added another sample to my Samples Page. It details how to make semi-transparent "see though" animated text.

Here is a short show of what it does.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=156214

The sample includes the CAP project to build the animations for this effect as well as the Producer project to show how the slide is set up.

Also, I found a slight problem in CAP 1.00 and have corrected it. Version 1.01 is now up on my web site. If you have already downloaded the program, there is no need to download the entire package, which is quite large. You can just download and install the program only.
Dave

The camera sees things the way they are. Photoshop makes them the way we'd like them to be.

http://www.mediadigitronics.com

Postby Dave Fitzpatrick » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:07 pm

The Samples Page also contains a zipped file that details how to make one of these.

I cut this animated GIF to freeze after 8 plays. Refresh the browser to start it again.

Dave

The camera sees things the way they are. Photoshop makes them the way we'd like them to be.

hdinspection

Postby hdinspection » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:03 am

This looks great.
I had purchased the Write-On Scripts from Choice Backgrounds for $50, but because they turned out to be very time intensive to use than I thought they would be, I never used them.
Guess I'll try another $50 to get an easier product. :D

Postby rirure » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi,

Clicking on http://www.mediadigitronics.com takes me to http://www.visisketchpro.com/ which appears to be on of those high jack search engines, is this problem on my side?

thanks

Postby Dave Fitzpatrick » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:53 pm

No, it's on my end. I set everything up on visisketchpro.com and later got the mediadigitronics domain name which routs to the original.
Dave

Robert Barnett

Postby Robert Barnett » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:38 pm

But, I see nothing that even motions your caption program. I have to say this comes across as a great big internet scam. I was interested in your product, but not after this. This is not professional and is going to make a lot of people either run the other way or think twice.

Robert

Postby Dave Fitzpatrick » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Robert, I'm sorry you see it that way. However, right at the bottom of the home page you will see an animated gif playing along side the word "New" It will script out CaptionsAlivePro plus some other stuff.
Dave

Postby Dave Fitzpatrick » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:47 pm

I was just informed that what Robert and rirure were seeing is in fact happening, but I can't reproduce it on my machine - all cached I suppose. I'm on hold with my web host right at the moment trying to get this straightened out. I'll post again when it is cleared up.
Dave

lahazard

Postby lahazard » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:36 pm

I can verify that the same is happening to me when I go to the Media Digitronics site, but I don't believe that Dave had anything to do with this happening.

(Nor would I see it as a reflection upon his professionalism. And it certainly is a new occurrence as it did not do this a few days ago when last I checked the site. If anything, it reflects upon the hosting site's professionalism.)

I've seen this happen to a few friends of mine where it was an error on the part of the hosting site's software assuming a website was no longer available and placing ads there so as to capture any traffic coming to what it perceives as a no longer maintained domain. I have faith that Dave will get it worked out....

Louis

P.S. In fact, if one were to go to http://proteanshake.com/ (a domain name I once "owned") you will find the exact same picture (at least the picture I find when I go to Dave's site) of a young college girl smiling, wearing a backpack, and there is a list of numerous offerings it thinks are related to the domain name! (none of which have anything to do with what I had originally intended for the site but moved on to other things.) This confirms for me that the hosting site for some reason thinks Dave's site is no longer being maintained and has hijacked it until someone else purchases the domain name. It could simply be a hiccup in the hosting site's software that kicked in with the change to 2010.

Postby rirure » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:41 pm

Well, Im not easily scared on the net... been using it since juggler, archi, gopher, etc, were the tools of the trade but I have to agree to a degree with Robert here, today is so easy and cheap to have good, serious, and very professional hosting, that some clients might balk at the current experience, me, I can and will wait until you sort it out, Im just happy it was not my hosts file corrupted or jacked since everything looked alright...

Any way, from the demos, cool program you have, and I hope in the future some sort of agreement is made with Photodex to include the functionality into proshow, either via plugging or as a licensed feature or something.

Thanks again, will be waiting.

Robert Barnett

Postby Robert Barnett » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:15 pm

And, I would like to point out that those that know what they are doing when it comes to their computer, internet and internet threats and security will have less of an issue than those that don't know much. One can not assume that someone going to that site from say a link here about an awesome program and finding what they found would make a novice feel comfortable.

As they say you get once chance to make a first impression and unfortunately and like it or not that first impression wasn't a good one.

Robert

Esteemed Member

Postby mikemullett » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:44 am

Robert Barnett wrote:But, I see nothing that even motions your caption program. I have to say this comes across as a great big internet scam. I was interested in your product, but not after this. This is not professional and is going to make a lot of people either run the other way or think twice.
Robert

Welcome to the Forum despite your comments re Dave Fitzpatrick. I note you joined in December so are a relative newcomer.
You will find that Dave is a professional, much respected member of this Forum and does NOT deserve such a hasty assessment.

~~~Mike~~~
There's no such thing as problems, only challenges
Nikon D5300 DSLR, PSP, Photoshop CS6, Premiere Elements 8, Adobe After Effects. Have just built a Win 7 Core I5 machine, 8G ram, 1TB hard disk

Postby Dave Fitzpatrick » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:20 am

After some digging, I now have discovered what is going on with my site.

For anyone who cares, here is what happened.

Last year, I and about 320,000 others in my area, had an identity compromise with a credit card. I was issued a new credit card without incident. Unfortunately, my old credit card is what is on file with my web host.

On Jan. 2nd I came due for a 2 year renewal.

Yesterday I received an email which told me that my card had been rejected and that I had 7 days to correct this. Fine, I went to their billing page, updated my info, and went about my business.

Then, as some here discovered, my site was no longer active and was routed to a "place holder" page of sorts.

After finally reaching my web host (email only - billing is not in until 8:00 PST), I was informed that the email I received was in error and that Enom, the domain name registrar, no longer extends the 7 day period. So, my domain must be reinstated. I think (and I'm not certain of this) that my web host is presently doing that.

As soon as I know more, I'll repost.
Dave

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:33 am

I think you were a little too hasty in your judgement of Dave Fitzpatrick. I am sure many forum members have over the year found this gentle to be trustworthy and helpful. You will certainly not find a single complaint agains him.
He has my complete trust.
I can understand that people become alarmed when something unexpected happens when browsing.
You have my sympathy.

regards
pd
regards.
pd

Postby bellzerr » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:27 am

Dave's domain is legitimate... you can find it listed on an Internet "who-is" site like this one:
http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp
But you will also see that it's expired - as Dave has just painfully discovered.

The Internet world is a joy when all is working well, but a major headache when something goes wrong. Those web site names we all depend on to find a web site and for people to find us have a number associated with them that the computers of the world actually use to locate your site. Look up a person's name in the phone book or with directory service and they will provide the number you actually need to reach them. In the Internet world, these numbers are maintained on public servers your computer uses to "look up" the web site's name so they can find your site. They are called Data Name Servers or DNS. When you register a web site name, it simple reserves the name for a specified period of time. The DNS entry attaches the name to a number assigned by the web hosting company. For a web site to be available to the public then, three components are vital:
1. A registered, non-expired domain name. This just reserves the name - alone your site is still not found. This service MAY be provided by your web hosting company, but you can also register a name without even ever having web site.
2. Actual web pages on a hosting server - but people will still not be able to find your site.
3. DNS entry linking the domain name with the "number" of your site. Now you're site can be found.

So... Missing or expired registration: no web site. Missing or invalid DNS entry: no web site. Fix the DNS problem... wait 24-48 hours for all those public DNS servers out in the Internet world to get magically updated, then your web site becomes visible again.

Dave - I feel your pain. This has happened to me for a corporate web site and it isn't pretty! I believe the Enom registrar you mentioned is used by many of the web hosting firms like GoDaddy, but your web host would be the people you need to fix this issue. Did you say email-only support? You should find another web host. You can't wait for email when something like this happens. The registrar I saw listed was GoDaddy and I found this:
24/7 Technical Support
(480) 505-8877
If I can help at all, send me an email.

Members hosting web sites - never rely on being notified by your registrar or hosting service about domain expiration. Check it yourself. Mark your calendar. Call if you're unsure. Do NOT let it expire if you want your site to remain online. I'm not scolding... just trying to help you avoid the headaches Dave and I have experienced.
Mark

PreviousNext

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications