AVI->DVD Architect to Make Superior Output?

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Producer. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

Re: AVI->DVD Architect to Make Superior Output?

Postby Oldguy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:04 am

Sara
Did you get Architect 5.0 ?
Thanks
Forrest

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:30 am

I've used/tried DVD Architect and it makes Proshow look like a learning toy for toddlers. I was able to get one show working, and yes, the image looks much better than Proshow's, but the second show I tried making is a bust and I can't for the life of me figure out the "helpful" error list.

This should really be a major focus for Photodex. Sometimes even an .exe is not good enough because average computers cannot keep up with demanding shows.
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Postby daacon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:33 pm

Mac what's the error ?

I kept getting (... please insert chapter marker in title <title of show> between x and y where x and y were actual times ....) and I was thinking I don't want chapters !!!

Anyway the fix was to double click on the AVI file on the menu page this brought the AVI file to the time line window. Then I choose a few spots (Click in the timeline , type M a red line appears and now you can name your chapter). Then click on the menu page in the top left hand corner (once you have finished picking your chapters) to go back to the menu page. Right click on the AVI file and choose insert chapters (or something like that).

After all that the DVD burned successfully. The first one I burnt did not require this , but any other one I tried , demanded chapters - maybe I toggled something on ???. The video quality is far superior on the DVD so I can live with the learning curve for now.

I am anxious to try a BluRay as I can't get Proshow to produce on (Program keeps aborting at about 3/4 way ..).

I think I will be purchasing Architect but I agree with your points for the price of ProShow it could do a better job of DVD authoring, then again it's strenght are in the slide and almost unlimted actions you can do. If a combo of products is what it takes , I guess we have to live with that for now.

Esteemed Member

Postby Mac » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:44 pm

The error descriptions were confusing to even decipher.

"I think I will be purchasing Architect but I agree with your points for the price of ProShow it could do a better job of DVD authoring, then again it's strenght are in the slide and almost unlimted actions you can do. If a combo of products is what it takes , I guess we have to live with that for now."

Proshow's strengths are in producing slideshows. The end product of a slideshow is a DVD for much of its uses. A quality DVD should be expected, not an add-on. Programs like DVD Architect are designed for people who need an intensive authoring program that requires a good deal of time and knowledge to learn. I don't want to spend my time learning an entirely new program just so a DVD comes out looking better. My interest is in making the show, not a menu.

As I'm sure you've seen, many people on this forum have jumped through hoops for years to burn discs. It's time Photodex stepped up to the plate and helped its customers out.
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Postby daacon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:03 am

Mac wrote:<snip>
Proshow's strengths are in producing slideshows. The end product of a slideshow is a DVD for much of its uses. A quality DVD should be expected, not an add-on. Programs like DVD Architect are designed for people who need an intensive authoring program that requires a good deal of time and knowledge to learn. I don't want to spend my time learning an entirely new program just so a DVD comes out looking better. My interest is in making the show, not a menu. <snip>

Mac

I agree 100% with all the comments, we all want the issue addressed. At this point it is not addressed and all I was saying is my needs are now so I need to do what I have to do, until version 5 comes out and I drop more $$$ :P

I am in IT and was a developer at one time, so I have an appreciation of some of the complexities involved. I think this has always been an issue. You are correct I would assume 90%+ of the shows produced are meant for DVD so this to me would be considered "core functionality" and it needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Previous

Return to PSP - Third Party Applications