Including Speaker Audio in Camtasia Capture

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Gold. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
videogal

Including Speaker Audio in Camtasia Capture

Postby videogal » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:44 am

I'm using that free program that Camtasia had a while back. I'm trying to record video with sound off the internet.
It will only record the screen, not the audio. What am I missing here? This is my first time trying to record the sound with it. Any suggestions appreciated.

videogal

videogal

Re: Including Speaker Audio in Camtasia Capture

Postby videogal » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:25 am

I should also say that I tried this on two computers. In the "Recording Options" window the option to select
"speaker audio" is grayed out. And beneath that it says in gray Unable to Automatically Detect.(In the rectangle)

The input level (meter) on the right is not moving when audio is playing.

The basic function of Camtasia is recording video from the screen. I must have something switched off?

`videogal

Postby heckydog » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:42 am

I think you might be talking about Camstudio. That program is free but it's not affiliated with Camtasia Studio by Techsmith.

Camstudio will record from a microphone for voiceovers, etc but not from your speakers. If you need to get your speaker sound I'd suggest using a program like Audacity which is also free. You'll have to sync the audio to the video after you're done recording but you will be able to do it all no cost. That's assuming that Camstudio will let you import audio tracks.

Joe

videogal

Postby videogal » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Thanks for responding to my plea for help, Joe! This is definitely Camstatsia 3 by TechSmith.

~videogal

Postby heckydog » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:58 pm

okay, I googled version 3, I started with v.4 and now have v.5, and they were offering it for free. The idea being to eventually get you to upgrade to a better version I guess.

But the suggestion I offered would still apply. Use Audacity or a similar audio editor to capture the sound as Camtasia captures the video and then put the two together.

The thing is I don't know what kind of shackles they put on v.3. All you would need is the ability to add another audio track.

Joe

videogal

Postby videogal » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:05 pm

I was hoping I could do it all with just the Camtasia in one step. But I guess I will download Audacity. I currently use Premiere Pro CS3 for audio but I don't think it captures from the web. And I'll then sinc the audio and video.

jmeredith

Postby jmeredith » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:19 pm

Hello,

I just tried Camtasia Studio 3 on my other PC and was able to record audio/video from the Web. The problem is likely a soundcard (and/or Vista if you have it) issue. This article on the Camtasia site should help.

Related thread on their forum
Feature Comparison between v3 and v5

Hope that helps :)

Postby CaptH » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:01 pm

I was having the same problem recording sound with Camtasia. I went to
Radio Shack and purchased a cable in which both ends were like my Mic and headphone
ends. I put one end in the headphone outlet and the other in the mic.
In other words, both ends of the cable had RCA outlets that were the same.
Hope this helps someone.

Capt

Return to PSG - Third Party Applications