Free converter

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Gold. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Honorary ProShow PHD

Free converter

Postby TinaJ » Sat May 10, 2008 5:07 am

Looking for free conversion software. Itunes format won't work in proshow and I've been burning to disk and then ripping back to my music library to use them. Today I ran out of disks and thought, there must be an easier way!
TinaJ

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat May 10, 2008 5:52 am

You could try this http://www.hymn-project.org/

Another useful technique is to use the record capability of Audacity. You would play your iTunes song and have Audacity record it and create you a new MP3. Both will work.

Good luck.
-Vernon

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Sat May 10, 2008 6:57 am

Thanks. I can't get audacity to record, and will have to have some quiet time to figure out what I need for the hymn project, tells me I need some other software. I even tried using the youtube converter, and that didn't work either. I'll keep playing...
Tina

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat May 10, 2008 7:12 am

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with Audacity. Forgive me if you have tried this already, but have you updated the drivers for your sound card to the latest version? Also, make sure, I believe it is the microphone input, is not muted in the sound control panel. I am not an expert on this, but struggled to get Audacity working on my new machine. It works fine now. If you need further help, please post back. Most people in this forum are extremely generous with their time and talents.

Regards,
-Vernon

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Sat May 10, 2008 9:45 am

I haven't updated anything, just bought this computer in November. I have tried to use the mike before, with my messenger, and it wouldn't work, a message pops up about audio compression not available or something, so I suspect the sound card is not top notch. When I bought it I was looking at ram and hard drive space, didn't pay attention to sound card specifics. I looked at noteburner and tried to use the trial version, but it saved in an xml format and you only get 3 minutes, so I don't know if I can figure it out so it's worth the $35 or not. I ended up running to Rite Aid and paying $10 for 10 cds! Even with the cases they aren't worth that much, but I'd have spent that much alone on gas to get me to the nearest walmart. I might have to check on line for deals at the price of gas!
Tina

Postby heckydog » Sat May 10, 2008 10:16 am

In order for Audacity to record what you're hearing it has to be set to record the output from your speakers.

The problem there is the function name varies depending on your sound card. On mine it's Wave Out Mix. Others have said it's Stereo Mix or something similar.

You would need to try the different options to see what works but it would not be the Line In or Microphone options.

There are some audio cards that don't have the ability to record what come through the speakers. It's possible your card is one of those but the odds are in your favor that it will work. :D If you can get it to work it's a great time and money saver.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Sat May 10, 2008 10:23 am

I looked in the help menu and it actually shows pictures of how to set it up, but the line where you make that choice is greyed out on mine, so I don't think it will work. I couldn't figure out how to make that line 'active!'
Tina

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Free converter

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun May 11, 2008 4:50 am

Tina,
My setup did exactly the same thing. It never showed that feature enabled, but when I tried to record, it worked. One of the keys was to make sure that the sound drivers are up to date and also to make sure that Windows is pointing at the right drivers. In my case, instead of the regular AC97 driver, my machine was using the Realtek HD Driver. Both sets were installed, but only one seemed to work properly. You can find this in Control Panel under the "Sounds and Audio Device Properties" on the Audio tab. I forgot to ask, what operating system are you using?

-Vernon

ctimaging

Postby ctimaging » Sun May 11, 2008 7:06 am

TinaJ wrote:Looking for free conversion software. Itunes format won't work in proshow and I've been burning to disk and then ripping back to my music library to use them. Today I ran out of disks and thought, there must be an easier way!
TinaJ

It's not free but Tunebite ($26.90) has worked very well and does audio and video conversions. I have found that the free or "cheap" converters either do not work well or the reg keys conveniently do not work every couples months requiring you to contact the company to get them reset. I have been using Tunebite for over a year now with no issues. I have included a link below.

http://shop.audials.com/buynow_web.php? ... =200003141

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Sun May 11, 2008 11:36 am

Ok Vernon, I went into the control panel, manage sound devices, and found both realtek high definition audio for microphone and line in, both greyed out. This was under recording. I'm using Vista Home Premium.
I may have to bite the bullet and buy something that will work, it sure would save on cds!
Tina
PSG 3, PSP 4, Photoshop CS, Sony Alpha 200,
Grade 2/3 teacher
Somebody's Nanny all the time!

Postby jgsjarz » Mon May 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Looking for free conversion software. Itunes format won't work in proshow and I've been burning to disk and then ripping back to my music library to use them. Today I ran out of disks and thought, there must be an easier way!
TinaJTinaJ
Valued Member

Private message

Hi Tina,

I've actually used iTunes to convert my music files to WAV format and used that in Proshow. If you go into iTunes help and search on "convert to WAV', you'll get the instructions on how to go about it.

Janet

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon May 12, 2008 6:18 pm

Tina,
Looks like my earlier response from this morning did not make it through. I thought the system responded a bit strangely. Here are a couple of screen shots of my system that may help you. My Audio Mix button never showed as being available, but it works. So dispite the fact that it does not show up enabled, I would encourage you to try and record anyway.

Sounds & Audio Devices Properties
http://mrobinson.smugmug.com/gallery/1490674_KTxga#294032755_6Pywj-O-LB

Device Manager / Sounds, video and game controllers
http://mrobinson.smugmug.com/gallery/1490674_KTxga#294036078_vettN-O-LB

Audacity Preferences Settings
http://mrobinson.smugmug.com/gallery/1490674_KTxga#294038592_UNYF7-O-LB

These are my current settings.

HTH,
-Vernon

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby TinaJ » Tue May 13, 2008 1:36 am

Hi Tina,

I've actually used iTunes to convert my music files to WAV format and used that in Proshow. If you go into iTunes help and search on "convert to WAV', you'll get the instructions on how to go about it.

Janet[/quote]

Thanks Janet, but it doesn't work on purchased Itunes music. It was a thought though!
Tina
PSG 3, PSP 4, Photoshop CS, Sony Alpha 200,
Grade 2/3 teacher
Somebody's Nanny all the time!

Postby jgsjarz » Tue May 13, 2008 8:40 am

Tina,

That's too bad. I guess I've only used it on the tunes I've taken off my personal CD collection.
I hope you find something that works for you.

Janet

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:05 pm

I started using a program called Easy Hi-Q Recorder from Roemer Software: http://www.mp3towav.org/Easy-Hi-Q-Recorder/

I liked the free trial version which records and saves a variety of audio formats (MP3, WMA, OGG & WAV) to your hard drive at a max bit rate of 96 Kbps so much that I bought the pro version which allows me to save my audio files at a max bit rate of 320 Kbps.

Easy Hi-Q Recorder is a fantastic little audio recording program and they aren't paying me to say this whatsoever :)

Dan

Next

Return to PSG - Third Party Applications