Audacity problem

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Gold. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Esteemed Member

Audacity problem

Postby Shaker » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:02 am

I've previously made much use of Audacity and without problem. However, I've just downloaded it onto a Vista machine and have the following problem which prevents me monitoring the input from music being played on the pc.

On the Mixer Toolbar, the thing which is supposed to allow me to choose the Input Source is inactive so I can't select any of the options ("Microphone", "Line In" etc.). I uninstalled and downloaded Audacity again but the problem remained. The Audacity site says that it is OK for Vista.

Any ideas would be very gratefully received. Hope you can help.
Shaker

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:19 am

I have the same problem, but assumed that it was not a Vista problem, but rather the fact that my new PC has an onboard soundchip instead of a discreet sound card. With my old PC/Audigy Soundcard I was able to choose "what you hear" as an input which would allow me to record anything at the same time it was being played. Now however I am not able to do that nor am I able to select very easily which inputs I want to use.

If you or someone else discovers the real reason for this problem please let us know. If I stumble on a solution I will post here.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Esteemed Member

Postby Shaker » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:24 am

Ben,

Many thanks and may be that's the explanation of my problem. If so, you have saved me much effort in trying to do what can't be done.

The limitation does severely restrict the range of music which can be recorded for use in shows.

You say "Now however I am not able to do that nor am I able to select very easily which inputs I want to use." How are you able to select the inputs you want to use?
Shaker

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:56 am

Well, I have one of those "realtek" onboard sound chips on the motherboard and the input selection is not what I am used to on the ZS Audigy Soundcard I have on my other PC. Perhaps I was just used to it and find the new PC to be a bit different.

I might add that I was playing around just a minute ago, and while I was still not able to get Audacity to show any inputs in the dropdown list, I was able to successfully record something while playing it at the same time. Trial and error, and I for the life of me cannot tell you how I did it :oops:

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

Esteemed Member

Postby Shaker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:30 am

Ben,

Thanks for your reply which has given me hope to persevere to see if I can find some way to repeat your success with Audacity. If not, I'll try the Beta version now available.

If you ever do discover what you did that enabled a recording to be made, please say what you did.

For what it's worth, the computer shop says that software should work equally well with a chip or card.
Shaker

Valued Member

Postby Hemo2 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:19 am

Shaker, I don't know if it's a hardware issue or not, but you can check this one thing to see if it helps. I doubt it will, but it's worth a try.

Open up "Control Panel" and then open "Hardware and Sound" - "Sound". (If you are viewing 'Classic' view, after you open control panel, you can simply open up "Sound".)

One in here, click on the 'Recording' tab and then in a 'blank area' where it lists the devices, "Right click" and select "Show Disabled Devices". If a device pops in and it appears that it might be the right device that you need to record from, right click on it and select 'Enable'.

I really have no idea if this will help or if you'll even have any disabled devices there, but it might be worth a look.

Keith

Esteemed Member

Postby Shaker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:58 am

Ben and Keith,

Many thanks for your advice. I'm sending you both a private message which is culled from the web. It is the section under Control Panel which I used and has solved the problem. It's similar to what you suggested Keith. I hope it works for you Ben.

The forum is so good with people like you contributing. One no longer feels alone and helpless with a problem.
Shaker

Vernon D Rainwater

Postby Vernon D Rainwater » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:23 pm

I notice a favorable comment regarding Audacity so I Down Loaded, installed and was going to try to edit a song to (hopefully) be able to increase the play back volume for the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the song. It is a MP3 file.
When I tried to do this, I got a message that it needed to find a file -- Lame_Enc.dll -- so I found it on my C: drive.
Next was that it needed a -- Lame MP3 Encoder -- so I found it with Google but the only download I found was a "Source" Non-Compiled file that would have to be compiled for the platform (PC) for use.
Does anyone have information as to how to be able to use Audacity (with MP3 audio/music files). It seems like there is something additional needed for being able to use this Audacity software. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I am a complete Novice regarding editing Audio files.

Postby Barbara_K » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:26 pm

Vernon,

"Lame_Enc.dll" is the MP3 Encoder. It works best if it is in the C:\\Program Files\Audacity folder. You may have another program that is using this encoder also since you say you found it on your C: drive. You can copy this file and place a copy in the Audacity folder and it should be recognized when you want to save to MP3. You can also download a copy of the Lame_Enc.dll here to save in the Audacity folder: http://www.gaclrecords.org.uk/lame_enc.dll

Barbara

Vernon D Rainwater

Postby Vernon D Rainwater » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:33 pm

Hello Barbara,

Many thanks for your post. I just finished my successful test and sending an email to my friend, David Jaseck -- also a Member of this Forum -- that was helping me with some of the Audio Editing details (especially since I am definitely a new-comer) to this -- when I got the email notice that your post was made.

I finally got all to work for my test to increase the Volume for the first half of a song and it worked OK for that test. That proves (to me) that my problem was "Cockpit Trouble" -- meaning ME.

Thanks for your help and no doubt I will again be asking for help from time to time since I am a "Newbie" to Audio Processing and/or Editing.

Thanks again Barbara.

NOTE: I especially like your Name since Barbara is also my Wife's name.
However, most of the time; I refer to Her as my Bride of 56 1/2 years.

Postby heckydog » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:00 pm

THIS is another source for the LAME MP3 Encoder.

There are also links for tutorials on how to use various features of Audacity

Vernon D Rainwater

Postby Vernon D Rainwater » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:21 pm

Correction:
My Audacity test as previously posted did NOT function properly.
I selected the first 2 minutes of a 4 minute song, applied 12 db gain (for this test) and instead of applying it ONLY to the selected area, it applied it to the entire length of the song.
Can anyone help me with this. I would greatly appreciate.
I believe it must be something I am doing wrong OR something I am not doing
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Vernon...

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:37 pm

What command or effect did you use? 12db sound seems to large. I just tried it and it worked but it only let me increase just short of clipping, nothing anywhere near 12db though.

Ben

Postby Barbara_K » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi Vernon,

Select the first 2 minutes as you did before and then choose "Amplify" under the Effects menu. If you want to increase the gain by 12 db you will have to put a check in the box to "Allow Clipping". This will increase the volume to only the selected portion of the song. You could also select a few seconds of the part with the higher volume and apply a "fade out" effect if you want.

Barbara

Vernon D Rainwater

Postby Vernon D Rainwater » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:54 pm

I am posting this reply before applying the proper method as listed by Barbara.
I was using 12 DB ONLY as a test. Of course, I realize that would be too much and if the Audio DB's are anything like Amateur Radio Signals, then 10 DB is equivalent to 100 times gain -- so 12 DB would cause excessive Clipping and Distortion.
I knew if I got it to adjust the selected area (using 12 DB) that I would definitely know if it worked -- but it adjusted the entire song -- so the last 2 minutes was really distorted.
Thanks for all replies and Barbara, thanks for the method. I will now make the adjustment using that method and then use the proper DB for the front part of the song.
Thanks again, to ALL and especially Barbara for the proper method to use.
Vernon...

Next

Return to PSG - Third Party Applications