Re: Third Party Apps

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Gold. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.
Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Third Party Apps

Postby pilotdan63 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:56 pm

I use Picasa2 http://www.picasa2.com/ to organize and do basic photo editing, Paint.net http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html to fabricate special effects like transparencies and use Microsoft PowerPoint to combine photos together into one file that I can then import into my ProShow Gold program.

I also use a photo stitch program that came bundled with my Canon PowerShot digital camera to create panorama photos.

I hope this list helps :)

Dan

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re:, Re: Third Party Apps

Postby pilotdan63 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:52 pm

I forgot to mention that Picasa2 and Paint.net are freeware programs which makes the price just right for me :D

Dan

Postby Jerry Cole » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:40 pm

I use adobe elements 5 for photo edit, FrameFun when I want a quick frame, ImgBurn for burning DVDs.
I also am trying to learn Audacity for audio editing beyond what PSG offers (have not really used it yet).

I will also be looking for a Video editor when I begin including more video clips into slide shows. A friend of mine does this for me now, but I forget the software that he is using.

I ramble, but does this answer your question? I think you will find a big range of products, as varied as the people that inhabit this site.

Jerry
San Diego Guy
PSG, PSP, PSE8 & Nikon D80 user
"I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way." Mark Twain

Bill McMahon

Making Transparencies and Mask

Postby Bill McMahon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:00 am

Dan,
Are Picassa and Paint capable of making transparent masks? I am so desperately frustrated trying to create some transparent/partially transparent layers as masks for use as layers in PSG?
Bill

BethS

masks

Postby BethS » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:14 am

Hi Bill,

Here are the instructions I wrote for making masks in Powerpoint.

I knew that I did not need a fancy editing program to create masks so with a lot of trial and error I figured this out. I will give you the step by step. Please let me know if this works so or if I need to reword any steps. Here goes.......

This first way uses just power point stuff. You can also import pictures that you want to create a transparent hole in like frames or whatever.

Step 1: Open Power Point
Step 2: Click on slide layout and select a blank slide
Step 3: At the bottom of the page you will see the "auto shapes" button dropdown arrow. Click on the arrow and choose basic shapes > bevel (this shape is the the fourth row third from the left
Step 4: Create the shape any size you like on your blank slide
Step 5: You can make this any color you like by choosing the fill color paint can at the bottom. Try it out to see what happens. Remember that you can always change this color in proshow when you want to use it by choosing the editing option and grayscale option and then set a new color.
Step 6: At the bottom of the page you see a rectangle. Choose the rectangle and create a new rectangle right over the center rectangle in the bevel shape you just made. You are essentially "covering" the area you want to make transparent. Using the "fill" button at the bottom of the page, make this new rectangle a completely different color that the beveled frame. This is important as you will see in a later step.
Step 7: There may be an easier way to do all of this but this is what I found that I had to do to create to finished product.
Click on the edit button at the top of the page. Choose "select all." Right click on the image you created and select grouping. The word group should be highlighted. Choose that option to group the two images into one.
Step 8: Right click on the image and choose "save as picture."
Step 9: Save this image as a PNG file from the dropdown menu on the save box.
Step 10: Save the image in a file wherever you want and will remember.
Step 11: go back to the PowerPoint slide and delete the image you just created.
Step 12: Click on the "insert" button and find the image you just saved as a PNG. Insert that image. Yes, it will look exactly the same as the one you deleted but the new one is a PNG file.
Step 13: If the picture toolbar did not open when you inserted this picture you will need to right click the image to get that toolbar.
Step 14: Toward the far right side of the toolbar you will see a little wand. Click on the wand and then on the center of your image. Whatever color you made that center is the color that the wand will look for and make it transparent. That is why it needs to be a different color than the rest of the image you are using.
Step 15: Save this image using the exact same name you gave it back in step 10. You will be asked if you want to replace the image. Click yes or okay.
Step 16: Done. You know have a mask. Try it out be inserting another image onto your slide. Right click on the new image and select the order button and then click "send to back"

If this does not work for some reason let me know which step you are on and I will see where I made a mistake.

I have also posted some of my masks in the member created files section. They are called 4 square.

Beth

Bill McMahon

Masks

Postby Bill McMahon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:10 am

Beth,
Thanks for this great detail. I will be busy this weekend following your procedures. I will let you know how I make out.
Thanks again for your efforts and details.
Bill

Bill McMahon

Masks

Postby Bill McMahon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:40 am

Beth,
Well I am at work but just went through each step and I have what appears to be a "workable" mask. In your step 12 ... I had to "paste" (vs "Insert") the image but it looks good. Tonight at home I will try it out in PSG.
Thanks again so much for your efforts. I'll let you know how it goes.
Bill

BethS

mask instructions

Postby BethS » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:18 pm

Hi Bill,

Yes, please let me know in case I have to rework it. I have also figured out how to make opacities (looks like vellum) in any color you may want. I can send you a sample of what I mean if you want to send me your email.

Beth

BethS

colored transparencies

Postby BethS » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:33 pm

Hi Bill,

Actually, here is a link to a 20 second sample for the colored transparencies. They could be fun to use.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 9226&alb=0

Beth

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:37 pm

Bill,

YES, YES, YES as I stated in my original post on this thread.

Paint.Net does indeed allow you to make transparencies plus a "ton" of other useful features like cloning that are very "PhotoShop" like and . . . are completely usable to improve your Picasa2 picture files and/or import directly into your ProShow Gold projects :D

Dan

Bill McMahon

Postby Bill McMahon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:34 am

Beth,
I have diverted myself away from trying to make mask and transparencies in Power Point for a little while, I think your instructions are rignt on and will do the trick. I took the plunge and am evaluating Photoshop Elements 5 before buying.... from the frying pan right into the fire...but like you I am bound and determined....15 years ago I took the same attitute toward learning Microsoft Access and today I consider myself a capabe user....lol
Bill

Esteemed Member

Postby iknowwhereitis123 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:41 pm

Hi There, I am new here (and to all of this) so I hope I am not to much of a pain in the...anyway. I have read a lot of your posts and I wonder if you know how brilliant you are. My compliments to you all.

I have been doing basic slideshows for a while. And I do mean basic. I have been using Nero. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 and Premier elements 2 that I have not been able to use because my computer is so stinking slow. BUT, I am getting a new one this week-end and I have been looking for a new program to do slideshows with that is pretty user friendly (thats a nice way of saying Slideshows for idiots) Anyway, I love the Proshow Gold demos that I have seen but am wodering if you have to use other programs like adobe to get those looks, or can you do everything you see on the homepage demos with just PSG?

Thanks for any help!

Bill McMahon

Postby Bill McMahon » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:19 am

I grew up the same way (..and I'm still growing too), I did my first slide shows using Nero, and after a while wished there were ways to invigorate them.....I tried Nero Photo Show Deluxe, which was an improvement, but I didn't like the canned music which was included. Then I discovered Pro Show Gold, what a difference! You can do so much with PSG and it isn't necessary to Photoshop your photos, that's just an enchancement as you get more proficient. Good luck and have fun, I sure am!
Bill

Esteemed Member

Postby iknowwhereitis123 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Bill. I think I will download the demo on the new computer and see how well I like it. I am just in awe of the samples I have seen. If you have any that you have done maybe you could provide a link for me to watch? I would love to see them.

Thanks again!

Re:, Re: Third Party Apps

Postby ngmarsh » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:28 pm

pilotdan63 wrote:I forgot to mention that Picasa2 and Paint.net are freeware programs which makes the price just right for me :D

Dan

Do you know if I have to download all of the netframework that Paint.net says you do? I had some problems with the net framework in the past so I downloaded Paint.net and haven't installed the new netframework. Any thoughts?
And I'm a techno-immigrant so this is all new to me.
Nancy

Next

Return to PSG - Third Party Applications