Flaring letters or fonts

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Gold. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

Flaring letters or fonts

Postby PhotoMill » Sun May 03, 2009 3:43 pm

I have seen it somewhere over the course of many years but cannot find it anywhere. Would anyone know of a site that I could find an app which would give me the "flaring fonts" or an "etched in stone" type of action. The best sample that comes to mind is in the movie "The Ten Commandments" where the tablet is written by the finger of God and the letters are burning (flaring) and smoking in the stone tablet. Remember the scene ??

Any help on this one really appreciated.

Tks...
...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Re: Flaring letters or fonts

Postby gpsmikey » Sun May 03, 2009 6:22 pm

If you mean you want to create an image where the letters looked etched and burning (but a stationary image), then most photo editors allow you to do strange things with embossing as well as a number of other effects (glow, flame etc). If you are looking to create a video sequence where the "flames" are live, I don't know how to do that. If you want to have the letters appear as if you are writing them, you could use a utility like visisketch Pro which allows you to create a dynamic mask and "reveal" things underneath. When you say "action", I am not sure if you are refering to an "action" type shot where things are happening or an "action" as in "Photoshop action" that is sort of like a script that does things for you in Photoshop.

Digital juice ( http://www.digitaljuice.com ) has some nice fonts, but they are not animated and one of their FAQ questions says that to do that you would need to use an animation program.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby heckydog » Sun May 03, 2009 8:26 pm

I could see how to do it with 3 different programs. Photoshop for the lettering and chiseled in stone effect. I've already done that with fake hieroglyphics :D After Effects to animate the lettering, with masks most likely. That I haven't tried yet. Then Particle Illusion to add the flames and smoke. I've done lots of that. What guy doesn't like to make smoke, fire, and explosions :lol:

Now, this is the extent of my knowledge of the software that I use. There may very well be something out there that can do it in one swell foop :wink:

Sounds like an interesting challenge.

Joe

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Mon May 04, 2009 9:34 am

Duplicate post. Moderator pls delete.
Last edited by dnmilikan on Mon May 04, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dnmilikan

Postby dnmilikan » Mon May 04, 2009 9:40 am

From what you describe the effect can be obtained with Bluff Titler. In Bluff Titler use the writer function, place a texture on the font and attach the flame particles to the text.

Good luck,
Donald Miller

Postby PhotoMill » Mon May 04, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks for the answers all. The effect would be used for the opening of a show. It's going to be the 10th anniversary of an event and I was hoping to open it with a pyrotechnic style of "burning in stone" basically on a local stone church wall, of which I have photos. I thought it would be a pretty nifty way to open the show. Flaring letters coming out of the stone and smoking at the same time starting from one end of "Site of the 10th Anniversary" and ending at the other. Then the smoke disappears and the stone wall is left with the lettering. Almost like graffiti, but quite a bit more dramatic.

I'll keep looking but in the mean time, if you have website suggestions, I am all ears and eyes.

Tks again...
...Steve
Tax me...
I'm Canadian, eh?

Canon 50D & 70D, Epson 4990 Scanner, Epson R1800 printer
Lumapix, Paint Shop Pro X6, ProShow Producer 9
Video Studio Pro X5

Postby heckydog » Mon May 04, 2009 5:45 pm

Something like this maybe:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 5595&alb=0 2.7MB, 10 seconds long

The sound is supposed to fade out at the end. It does on the timeline just not in the px file :?

Joe

Postby duglas50 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:10 pm

Hey Joe,
That was really cool 8) or should I say really hot. Care to tell us how that was done.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Postby heckydog » Tue May 05, 2009 6:22 am

1. Photoshop CS3 to create the text over a background I found with google. The text is Arial Bold and I used the Horizontal Mask Tool.

2. Alien Skin Eye Candy Impact to create the bevelling. I prefer it over the bevel available in photoshop because I can put it on it's own layer. I could've used a thinner font and made it look more like it was chiselled.

3. After Effects CS3 to keyframe the masking of the text. Then outputted as numbered png files. In this case there was 300 png files.

4. Particle Illusion 3 to add the smoke, flames, and sparks. I used a standard effect called, oddly enough, Flame, Torch, Sparks. :) There was one or two other effects I might have used instead but I had to pick one and this was it.

5. Output the whole thing as a wmv file which I then imported into PSP to make the demo show.

Donald suggested BluffTitler. That's a possibility too. I use it a lot myself. I opted to do it this way in order to get the sparks, smoke, and flames as realistic as possible. BT tends to be a little slower in making particles.

Joe

Postby duglas50 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:35 pm

Thanks for the explaination Joe. Looks like I need to add to my arsenal of software.

Doug
Family Heritage Photography
http://www.familyheritagephotography.com
    Producer 5.0, Photoshop Elements 14, Lightroom 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 9, Topaz Adjust, Portrait Professional, On1 Photo 10, ImgBurn, Audacity, Nikon D7200, D5000

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 06, 2009 5:00 am

heckydog wrote:I prefer it over the bevel available in photoshop because I can put it on it's own layer.

Joe, you can put it on its own layer in CS3. I know because I do this all the time. While those marching ants are still going around the letters, press ^J to get the letters onto their own layer, and then do the bevel/emboss trick. Since the shadowing applied with the bevel is translucent, it shows the layer beneath. Or did I misunderstand what you were doing? (Always a possibility.)

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby heckydog » Wed May 06, 2009 6:52 am

BarbaraC wrote:Joe, you can put it on its own layer in CS3. I know because I do this all the time. While those marching ants are still going around the letters, press ^J to get the letters onto their own layer, and then do the bevel/emboss trick. Since the shadowing applied with the bevel is translucent, it shows the layer beneath. Or did I misunderstand what you were doing? (Always a possibility.)

Barbara

I was referring to just the bevel itself without the text. Eye Candy Impact gives you the option to put the bevel on it's own layer. If I don't like how the bevel looks I can just delete that layer and try again. I know there are ways to do that in photoshop but I'm used to working this way with Eye Candy.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5171 ... 093006.jpg

In this picture, I have separated the bevel from the text. You can also see the two layers in the layers palette. The bevel looks darker because I made the text white so it would be easier to see. Eye Candy also offers more bevel options than photoshop. Heck, if it didn't, there'd be no reason to buy it :lol:

In addition to the bevels it also has extrusions, perspective shadows, brushed metal, chrome, and a bunch of other effects. I've had it for a few years and I use it quite a bit.

Joe

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 06, 2009 7:36 am

Well, darn it all, Joe! Now I want some of that there Eye Candy! :evil:

Barbara

Postby heckydog » Wed May 06, 2009 8:18 am

BarbaraC wrote:Well, darn it all, Joe! Now I want some of that there Eye Candy! :evil:

Barbara

Ask and ye shall receive! :wink:

http://alienskin.com/

Joe

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 06, 2009 8:36 am

Joe, it's a hundred dollars!!!!!!!!

Barbara

Next

Return to PSG - Third Party Applications