Pinnacle Studio Movie Box Ultiimate

Discuss which third party applications you use to help create your slide shows using ProShow Gold. This is not a forum to promote other slide show software programs.

Pinnacle Studio Movie Box Ultiimate

Postby susanjune » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:51 am

I'm interested in converting VHS tapes to DVD and also having the ability to edit them before burning them to the DVD. Pinnacle's Studio Movie Box Ultimate looks like a great video capture device plus good editing software. Does any one have any feedback on this...I would like to purchase it...it sells for $135 on Amazon.

Thanks!
Susan :)

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Pinnacle Studio Movie Box Ultiimate

Postby seektheburd » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:26 am

Hi Susan,
I have one of their older versions, Pinnacle Studio 10 Media Suite with break out box and love it. Been using it for years to convert VHS to DVD. Studio is a resource hog but other than that, editing is easy and fun with some additional features to spice up your home reels. For my miniDV camcorder I use either Adobe Premiere or Pinnacle, but Pinnacle is my source for VHS captures. Not much of an answer since you are interested in purchasing Movie Box Ultimate but nevertheless, thought my general input on Pinnacle might be helpful. Smiles.

Hugs,
Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Postby marmart » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:42 am

You may want to check out Pinnacle's "Dazzle". I have used that for several years now. Quite inexpensive also.

Mary

Postby susanjune » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:46 am

Hi Stephanie and Mary,

I really appreciate your feedback. When one starts to research either software or hardware, you go down this worm hole and it all gets to be overwhelming.

Guess what I am trying to figure out...as long as I purchase a video capture device for converting my own vhs tapes to digital format, would like to also have the capacity to edit these videos when neccesary...

From what I understand about the Pinnacles Dazzle - it is exclusively for video capture and not editing. So, I've got to decide whether or not to take the plunge and just buy it.

Any other feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks again!
Susan

Postby marmart » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:23 am

susanjune wrote:From what I understand about the Pinnacles Dazzle - it is exclusively for video capture and not editing. So, I've got to decide whether or not to take the plunge and just buy it.
Susan

Yep, Dazzle is just for converting, I already have Pinnacle - which I personally don't like that much. It has traditionally been for unstable for me. (I have version 9) - It's possible it is better now. I don't have much editing to do, so it gets the job done for my needs.

I would also be interested in finding what others use as I am about to get the "Flip" HD video camera and wonder what else is out there.

Mary

Bill McMahon

Postby Bill McMahon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:59 am

I have both Pinnacle Studio 9 (9.4.3) and Dazzle. Dazzle is great for importing your VHS into the PC, serving as an analog to digital converter. I like it too since I don't have a fire wire input on my 6 year old Dell PC, so I use the Dazzle USB connector which is supplied. Once your video has been input into the PC then you are ready to start editing with Pinnacle.

I had lots of trouble early on with this software and I eventually realized it was due to lack of sufficient free space on my (small) hard drive. Now that those problems have been remedied (another hard drive) I was able to import about 2 hours play time of old video. Editing is fun. When you're finished editing it will require about 2-3 times the actual playing time to render the video/burn a DVD but it is worth the effort.
Good Luck and have fun.
Bill

Postby marmart » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:22 am

Thanks for your post Bill - maybe I won't have trouble anymore since my new super duper computer!!

Mary

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:00 am

Bill McMahon wrote:I have both Pinnacle Studio 9 (9.4.3) and Dazzle. Dazzle is great for importing your VHS into the PC, serving as an analog to digital converter. I like it too since I don't have a fire wire input on my 6 year old Dell PC, so I use the Dazzle USB connector which is supplied. Once your video has been input into the PC then you are ready to start editing with Pinnacle.

I had lots of trouble early on with this software and I eventually realized it was due to lack of sufficient free space on my (small) hard drive. Now that those problems have been remedied (another hard drive) I was able to import about 2 hours play time of old video. Editing is fun. When you're finished editing it will require about 2-3 times the actual playing time to render the video/burn a DVD but it is worth the effort.
Good Luck and have fun.
Bill

Bill,
That was a problem for me as well years back using Pinnacle on my Dell. Installed a second hard drive which greatly improved performance. I also disable internet and McAfee when heavily editing in Pinnacle, Premiere, or Producer. For me it makes a big difference on this dinosaur computer of mine. :) Susan, in addition to dedicated hard drive space, make sure your video graphics card (I use NVidia) is sufficient. And Mary, hope you give Pinnacle a try on your new super duper computer and let us know how it performs! :)

Hugs,
Stephanie
Photodex Gallery: http://www.photodex.com/share/stephanieseek

HP Pavilion p6580t Desktop;Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; i5-750 Quad-Core; 1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230.
Photodex Producer 5
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection

Valued Member

Postby rjl2gal3 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:47 pm

I have been converting VHS to DVD's for sometime now for allot of people and I use: http://pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Pr ... timate.htm
I don't think that I will ever learn everything, but it does it all. So much help via Forums plus this site as well: http://www.pinnaclesys.com Just get yourself the following and you are on your way. Once you get them onto a DVD you can just put the DVD into your computer and Pinnacle will allow you to download it into your computer for further editing. Also if you have a printer that will print onto DVD's you can create your own Titles photos,etc.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 20recorder

Postby susanjune » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:23 am

THANKS SO MUCH! I appreciate your input - "Once you get them onto a DVD you can just put the DVD into your computer and Pinnacle will allow you to download it into your computer for further editing "...that's a big help for me to know that you can do that. I've recently started my own business using Pro Show Producer...and in order to help with income being able to offer that service might help. First, I will have to learn how to do it using my own vhs tapes to dvds. I want to be able to import video clips from the vhs tapes into PSP. I think the $135. for both Pinnacles movie box and studio 12 is worth it.
Susan

Valued Member

Postby rjl2gal3 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:40 am

You don't need Movie Box if you choose to buy a combo VHS DVD Recorder like the link that I already sent you from http://www.newegg.com
Just putting a DVD into your CD Holder is enough. Pinnacle gives you the option to download either from DVD or Camcorders. You will need to use the Recorder with a VHS tape that has video on it and a blank DVD disk. Once that is in place its a matter of just playing the VHS tape through the software and it will be recorded onto the DVD and once a VHS tape that doesn't have a lot on it, it will record multiple VHS tapes till the DVD is full and than you can choose which ones you want to move onto your computer. That way you can make different folders for each catagory. I have found out by trial and error and also research to use DVD-R because the DVD+R disks don't play on older DVD Players at times. Also don't use store brand Blank DVD's. You will also need at least a duel core processor for a comfortable experience. If you were ever thinking of using the AVCHD compression that plays only on a Blu-Ray Player than you would need a quad core processor of at least 2.66 GHz. An a motherboard that supports the processor. This is the Pinnacle Program that I use and recommend. Its an amazing program and very good tech. support via phone. Allot of online training via uTube etc. Free.. Any other questions will be answered promptly. Richard...
http://buy.pinnaclesys.com/dr/v2/ec_mai ... &sid=51106

Esteemed Member

Postby jbetta » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:00 pm

I've always been told that the files you will get from a DVD will not be the best quailty for editing because they have been compressed to DVD. Then you are going to re-compress them again after your edits.
If you have a good working VHS player already, then all you need to buy is a composite to firewire cable that connects from VHS player to you computer. The resulting files will start out at a better quaility this way.

I use Vegas Movie Studio Platinum to capture and edit the files. It comes with DVD Architect which that allows you to create great menus and burn to DVD.
Search the producer forum and you'll find that others use and like Vegas.

Postby HunnyB » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:31 am

I use my FREE windows movie maker. :D
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby susanjune » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:18 am

Thanks to all for your input! Richard, I appreciate all the info you gave me. I actually did purchase Toshiba's vcr/dvd combo recorder several years ago and had difficulty using it. I've done a lot of research over these past weeks, and Pinnacles Studio Movie Box Ultimate with their editing software has great reviews...and I can purchase it for $135 total. So, I'm going for it...and will let everyone know how it is once I have the time to work with it. Thanks again! :wink:

Return to PSG - Third Party Applications