Continuous play/looping slide show

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Andyart

Continuous play/looping slide show

Postby Andyart » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:17 pm

I have built a 54 min 541 picture show that will be used on a digital monitor at a fashion trade show. The client does not want to click play on the DVD player every 54 minuets and re-start the show, is there a way I can burn the DVD that allows for continuous playback?

Thank you

Valued Member

Re: Continuous play/looping slide show

Postby slideshowsandmore » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:38 pm

Hi Andy,

Very easy....

Save
Create
Create DVD disk
along the left hand side chose 'PC Autorun'
check the box 'On/Off include PC Autorun on DVD'
look down a bit on this same screen to 'Executable Startup' and put a check in the box 'Loop Show...Loop show forever (when no menus)

Then you can 'Create' your show...or add any other variables you want.

BTW...if the 'autorun' box isn't checked, the 'loop' box won't be accessible.

Good luck,
Rosemary

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:57 pm

Andyart wrote:I have built a 54 min 541 picture show that will be used on a digital monitor at a fashion trade show. The client does not want to click play on the DVD player every 54 minuets and re-start the show, is there a way I can burn the DVD that allows for continuous playback?

Thank you

Some of the digital monitors are not driven by PC. They actually use a DVD player. In that case, most DVD players have a loop function. Failing that, you can modify the DVD to automatically loop. This would require you to create a DVD without a menu as an ISO file. Then you will use a program called PgcEdit to modify the ISO file and set it up to continuously loop. You can get PgcEdit from Doom9.org.

They have slightly changed the interface, but here are general directions that should get you close enough.
1. Create a short project (for starters) without a menu and "Burn to ISO."
2. Start up PgcEdit.
3. Click "Close" on the first dialog box that appears.
4. From main menu select File - Open DVD.
Navigate to the Video_TS folder created in step 1 and press OK.
5. Click on the third item in the left panel. It should be VTST 1,1.
6. Click on "post commands" in the right-hand panel.
7. Right-click on "post commands" and select "Add after."
That creates a "NOP" entry.
8. Double-click on the "1 NOP" entry.
9. Select "Jump and Call" - "From VTST Title" - "To Same VTST Title" - "LinkPTT" and then click OK.
10. From main menu select File - Save DVD.
11. Exit PgcEdit.

Postby Paul Gold » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:23 am

Look down a bit on this same screen to 'Executable Startup' and put a check in the box 'Loop Show...Loop show forever (when no menus)

Does "when no menus" mean Pro Show ignores the menu already created, or do you have to somehow make the menu disappear??

Thanks, Paul

Valued Member

Postby slideshowsandmore » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:51 am

I think it means that the show will loop...without stopping at the 'menu' at the end of the slideshow, before starting (looping) again. The wording was always a bit confusing to me.

It does NOT mean that it will only loop 'when' there are no menus.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:56 pm

When you create a menu there's an option to include "Play All" and "Loop All". Include the latter and use it to start the show vice selecting the thumbnail to start it. It will play forever but you still have the option to run the show(s) normally.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby Paul Gold » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks, Dick! I followed instructions but was using the thumbnail to start... :)

Postby jworman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:18 pm

DickK wrote:When you create a menu there's an option to include "Play All" and "Loop All". Include the latter and use it to start the show vice selecting the thumbnail to start it. It will play forever but you still have the option to run the show(s) normally.

Dick

Hi Dick,

I'm building a show about a reunion my old Navy ship's crew had last month. It has 11 shows in the project, so there are 3 pages in the menu.

I also have a short pre-show, leading up to the menu. Everything works as planned. If I select 'Play All' it does play all 11 shows, one after another. My problem is that the youngest guy in the crew is about 60, and the oldest one is older than dirt. When the pre-show is finished and the menu comes up, the thumbnail for the first show is selected. I've fooled around, trying to make the menu come up with 'Play All' selected as the default. That way the fellow can just hit the play button on the remote to get the entire show.

Many of my audience will figure out that they have to navigate around the menu to the 'Play All' icon, but I fear others will be frustrated. In fact, while at the reunion we tried to play an older reunion show. The remote we had only had a 'play' button. We could only watch the first show as we couldn't get to 'Play All' on those menus.

Do you know if there is any way to control the default selection on the first menu page?

Thank you,

John
John E Worman

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:21 pm

There may be a way in PSP to force it back to a different spot on the menu but I don't know--with luck someone will chime in who does.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby heckydog » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:18 pm

John,

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that PSP isn't that sophisticated with it's menus to be able to select the Play All button.

However, it's easily done with dvd authoring software. I use Adobe Encore but there are many others out there.

There's also a program called PgcEdit that lets you edit the dvd commands in the ifo files. I'm not familiar enough with it to do it myself but I know someone who is. I can ask if you like. I would probably need the current ifo files. They're not very large and could be emailed.

Let me know if you would like me to look into it.

Joe

Postby weldr » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:51 am

John, If you go into 'custom menu' , find 'captions', scroll down and highlight 'play all, change it to 'click here to play all', then you can enlarge it and move it, on the screen, to a noticeable spot. I do this for folks that are computer or DVD illiterate. I was an Airdale, was on two carriers. Hope this helps, Don
Canon EOS 50D,PSE7,Latest Producer, new computer...don't know specs off hand but runs Producer with no problems.

Postby jworman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Weldr and Heckydog,

Thank you for your reply's. I may have found a solution for my problem. I added a page to the front of my menu. I then put in a caption 'Play All' and changed the action to 'play all shows'

Underneath I added a caption 'Loop All' (this is handy if you are trying to play it over and over at a reunion).

Under that I added a caption 'Select Scenes', and the action is 'Jump to a menu page' (page 2). That gets me to my original menu where I can select the scenes I want.

It looked pretty crappy when I made a PC executable, as my new captions bled over to the other menu pages, even though they were de-selected on all but the first page. My simple test to a DVD however, looked just right. I'll try it on my reunion DVD next.

Don, I was in the 'gator' Navy, (Amphibious) . I was on a LSD (USS Whetstone) for my whole career (4 years). I was a snipe in the boiler room. About your screen name. Do you weld? I puddle for my own entertainment. All Miller equipment.

Thank you again.

John
John E Worman

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks