Dynamic Out Of Bounds Technique

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Re: Dynamic Out Of Bounds Technique

Postby jeanc » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:53 pm

A super big THANKS, Dave! Just splendid and so simple. Wish my mind could come up with these kinds of things. Appreciate so much you sharing!!

Smiles,
Jean
Jean

Valued Member

Postby jetfanroy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:37 am

Dave:
I've been looking closely at this - and I am running into some problems with my picture.

I've lined up the .png file (which I created from the orig photo with Photoshop) to sit directly on top of the image within the photo.

When I zoom in on the photo & image I can't get the .png to line up perfectly anymore.

In your example - can you provice the starting and ending coordinates for the zoom of all 3 items;
.png
OOB frame
original jpg

Thanks for your help.

Roy

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:20 am

Roy, is the image that's on a transparent background the same dimensions as the original? If you cropped it for the sake of economy, that might be your problem.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Valued Member

Postby jetfanroy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:53 am

I think you hit it on the head Barbara...the .png image is not the same size as the original jpeg.

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:50 am

I've been caught by that one enough times that I've finally remembered it. :D

Barbara

csrredcoat

Postby csrredcoat » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:27 pm

Can someone please tell me how to make the simple OOB frame using photoshop elements 6? Thanks a lot.

Darren

Postby heckydog » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:47 pm

csrredcoat wrote:Can someone please tell me how to make the simple OOB frame using photoshop elements 6? Thanks a lot.

Darren

I have 5.0 but the process should be identical.

1. Open the picture you want to use. Make a duplicate layer, CTRL-J

2. Make a new layer, CTRL-SHFT-N. Re-name it Frame (it helps, but not absolutely necessary). It should be the top layer.

3. Use the Rectangular marquee tool to make a rectangle where you want the outside of the frame to be. (It should be set to New Selection so you can move it around if needed)

4. Make the foreground color the color you want for the frame, usually white but it doesn't have to be.

5. Use the Paint Bucket tool to fill the marquee with the color. You should now have a solid box covering your subjects.

6. Then click on Select > Modify > Contract. Enter the number of pixels you want for the width of your frame and click OK. If it's not the right width, then immediately press CTRL-Z to undo the selection. Repeat this step until the frame looks right to you. There is no right number because a lot depends on your picture size and resolution so you just have to play with it.

7. When it looks right to you, press the Delete button on your keyboard. There's your frame. Press CTRL-D to remove the marquee.

It's done. To add some interest to the picture you can change the shape of the frame by using the Transform tools. (Image > Transform > Skew, Perspective, Distort)

hth

Joe

csrredcoat

Postby csrredcoat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:46 am

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain this. I will definitely give it a try.

csrredcoat

Postby csrredcoat » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:35 pm

Hello and Thanks for your help. I am having a hard time with this. As instructed, I made the frame in PS elements and looking at the demo, it looks like the background should be black with a frame and invisible center. My problem is the sides of the original picture spill through when it zooms. The demo shows the frame with a larger width than the original, I tried resizing the canvas but then the original shows through the top and bottom. What am I missing? Thanks a lot.

Questions: Do I save only the layer that shows the frame I created? Do I fill the outside of frame with black? Do I resize the frame canvas? Please help!! Thanks a lot.

Postby heckydog » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:41 pm

To answer your questions:

You will need to also save a layer with just the subject in it as well as the frame layer with the black background. In this screengrab from the demo http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4136 ... 237hu5.jpg you can see which layers need to be saved and the order they should be in.

Yes, you need to fill the outside of the frame with black. Also note that there is extra space at the bottom so the subject has room to go OOB.

You shouldn't have to re-size the frame canvas.

I should have watched the demo a little closer. There are a couple of ways to do an OOB picture. The demo shows a movement where the subject is entirely inside the frame and then moves outside. But you can also do a still picture with the OOB feature. This http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6585 ... 736zg7.jpg is an example and this is the type I had in mind when I was explaining how to make a frame. Here the subject are already OOB when the slide begins.

Hope that clarifies it a little bit.

Joe

csrredcoat

Postby csrredcoat » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:52 pm

Thanks Joe. I am trying to follow said instructions. I did already save the subject extracted from the picture as a PNG file. Then I made the frame as you instructed and filled outside with black and saved as a PNG. I then added original jpeg and put in the order of demo (subject with transparent background ...frame....original jpeg) I then added motion and made the subject and the original sync together with motion zoom. All worked well except the original picture outer sides show through the black on left and right sides. I must be doing something wrong but I am trying hard to follow demo and your instructions. I noticed the demo resolution is 480 x 600 on the subject and original, but the frame is 800 x 600. Why is it different than the other 2? Thanks again for your help. :D

csrredcoat

Postby csrredcoat » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:01 am

Thanks a lot for your help. I was forgetting to adjust the frame size in PSP. Got it now. Thanks.

Esteemed Member

Postby Jim Adams » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:30 am

There is a free Photoshop Action for CS2 or higher users to do the dirty work of creating all the layers necessary for Out of Bounds at this URL:

http://www.panosfx.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=27

I was directed to this location from Linda recommending it to someone for a cube action.

Although I have not used it yet I did watch the tutorial and since it creates every layer you still have the option to get into those layers at any time and make changes if you wish (ie: refining selections, changing bkgnd layers, etc.)

Jim

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:06 pm

I just downloaded the action so I can give it a try. With the layers kept intact, we can alter whatever we choose. It does most of the work and we do most of the play.

Barbara

LeeLee

Postby LeeLee » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:55 am

Very nice--thanks for sharing :P !!!!!!!!!!!

LeeLee

PreviousNext

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks