Improving Voice-Overs --- Looking for Advice

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Esteemed Member

Improving Voice-Overs --- Looking for Advice

Postby JC » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:13 am

I'm not trying to become and audio expert, but I do need some advice on improving a voice-over narration for a training program.

I'm happy to report that using Audio Studio, the recording came out nice and clean. However, it is flat. It just doesn't seem to have that round and rich depth and robustness that you might typically hear on one of the library's books-on-disk. Not looking for anything over the top but just a subtle little extra to add a bit more dimension.

I imagine this means playing with the reverb or some other tool; so, I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction with some of their experience.

Thank you.

Rgds,

Jeff

cfeather

What are you using now?

Postby cfeather » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:26 am

The microphone and proper technique make a lot of difference. What are you using? A good standard is a Shure SM58 or 57. I've done a lot of narration with those. I recently upgraded to an AT 3035 and a Presonous Firebox. We edit in Adobe Audition.

Make sure you are close to the mic, 6 inches at the most. You can make use of the proximity effect of beter mikes, that is get a deeper bass, by getting very close. Put it slightly off axis to decrease pops. Boost the midrange frequencies slightly to make the voice standout more.

Recording voice can be a maddening experience, as you are finding out.

Postby GabBill » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:44 am

Hey Jeff,
Peter Frampton did a number of shows with well done voice overs. He also used Audition. Hers' a post on the subject.

http://itsmygallery.com/ProShow/viewtop ... pton#13209

Hope this helps,

Bill
Canon 20D
PS CS3
PSP
http://www.myphotosinmotion.com

Esteemed Member

Postby JC » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:42 pm

Thanks, Bill.

Peter does get some good results. Not having much problem getting the voice into the machine it's just the tweaking to sort of get a transplanted Brooklyn dialect to match the sonorous James Earl Jones that finds me low on the learning curve.

Feather,

I'm checking out the SM 58. How did you hook up to the computer? Impedance matching xfmr or pre-amp?

Thanks again to both of you.

Rgds,
Jeff

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:43 pm

Another aspect to consider, many sound cards are somewhat
pathetic at best for microphone inputs. Using a preamp like
AudioBuddy or something like that and feeding that to the
Line In can make a significant difference. Another option if
you are feeling rich (well not that bad) is something like this gadget
http://www.wwbw.com/Zoom-H4-Handy-Digit ... 1158.music
that seems to get good reports (also good for walk around recording
of ambient noises for you slide shows). Several months ago, there
was an article in voice recording on a budget in the Videomaker
magazine also that had some good tips.

Here is that thread:
http://itsmygallery.com/ProShow/viewtopic.php?p=15986

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Esteemed Member

Postby JC » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:09 pm

Mikey,

The H4 certainly looks convenient and it seems to do the work of the preamp too. Do you have any feel for how the quality of sound compares to something like the SM 58 that Feather recommended?

Thx, Jeff

PS: I'm starting to read the link you gave, but I want you to know that I haven't spoken to Fourier, Laplace or Bode in many years.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:43 pm

JC wrote:Mikey,

The H4 certainly looks convenient and it seems to do the work of the preamp too. Do you have any feel for how the quality of sound compares to something like the SM 58 that Feather recommended?

Thx, Jeff

PS: I'm starting to read the link you gave, but I want you to know that I haven't spoken to Fourier, Laplace or Bode in many years.

That's ok - neither have I :D

I have not used the H4, but I have heard some favorable comments from
others - might be worth a google search on it in the news groups as well as
seeing if anybody over in the rec.audio.pro group has any comments on it.
I do know that one thing that has been a serious thorn in the side for people
on good quality portable recorders was that mostly what was there was the
mini-disc that used some sort of propriatory format that couldn't be read
directly on the computer. This apparently from what I read, uses a CF
card (if I remember correctly) and can be read easily on the computer.
As I say, I have not played with one yet, but am very tempted to check it
out since it allows you to get away from the sound of fans, disk drives and
other assorted "stuff" into some nice quiet area for best results. One mistake
many people make when playing with voice over recording is to speak
relatively softly to avoid bothering people or whatever. There is no real
substitute for a firm speaking voice with good clarity.

Here is another link to check out that I found a while back
http://www.creativecow.net/articles/fis ... oiceovers/
There is also the book "Producing Great Sound for Digital Video" by
Jay Rose (who posts in the audio groups sometimes.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

cfeather

SM58

Postby cfeather » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:27 pm

I ran mine into an ART Tube pre-amp. These devices are pretty cheap (around $50) and impart some warmth to the mic. I found them to get quite noisy, however, and I now use a Presonous Fire Box. They make a smaller version of this device, which does all the A/D processing outside the computer and delivers it via Firewire. The smaller version uses USB, I believe.

A few months ago I saw where several microphone manufacturers are now making mics with the A/D device built in, so the mic goes right into the USB port. Do a search in ZZounds or Musiciansfriend for these mics. Seems like Blue was one of the manufacturers.

Esteemed Member

Postby JC » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:16 am

Mikey, thanks for the links. After the printouts, I'm not sure the paperless society is all that it's cracked up to be.

Carl, appreciate the info on the USB mics. Peter mentioned something of this sort in the past but I didn't pursue it thinking that the mic port on my sound card would be the way to go. I overlooked the point that you have addressed that there might be optimized A/D circuitry built in. I will check them out. If that doesn't seem to be a go, I will next look at a pre-amp for line in or the H4

Thanks again, Carl & Mikey.

Jeff

rePete

One more thought ...

Postby rePete » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:47 am

I've been reading with some interest here. I have recently heard of the SoundTech Lightsnake.

http://www.soundtech.com/lightsnake/xlr10.asp

Looks very interesting, "a sound card in a cable". Basically xlr (balanced mic in) to USB. I haven't used one yet, but it may be in my future.

Worth looking at anyway.

Pete

cfeather

Marshall for $130

Postby cfeather » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:05 pm

This one sounds like it would work well for your application.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSEMXLUSB

Esteemed Member

Marshall vs Samson

Postby JC » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:48 pm

Carl,

Any thoughts on the one you linked vs the Samson C01U (both from zzounds). Looks like the Samson is better known (Web reviews and the number of cutomer ratings at zzounds) and the pricing is about the same when you add in the kit. Though, the Marshall does have a sensitivity switch. Probably 6 of one half-dozen the other. I have zero experience with the brand names so I can't draw much from their reputations.

Many thanks.

Jeff

Esteemed Member

Postby JC » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:25 am

Went with the Marshall. Will let you know how it does once it shows up.

Rgds,

Jeff

Esteemed Member

Postby JC » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:48 pm

Bought the Marshall MXL .006 . A/D is built in and the feed is USB. It also draws its power from the USB. The price was $129; the Samson probably would also be a good choice at a little less. (zzounds, as Carl recommended, was as straight forward as you can get. I add my recommendation)

The small tripod stand that came with the mic is really quite minimal so I bought a heavy based desk stand with a boom arm (local store). Makes life easier and lets you sit up straight. I have been advised (and it makes sense) that the improved posture is good for the sound. Only $30.

Also added a pop filter for $20. It does work and the mic instructions indicate that it also protects the sensitive condenser from exhaled and spoken moisture. You can also make one for next to nothing. There are several simple plans out there or just figure it out (old stocking/coat hanger).

Software: I alrady had Sound Forge Audio Studio and stuck with it. Sound Forge Audio Studio is to Sound Forge like Photoshop Elements is to Photoshop. It did everything I wanted and it's considerably less than the big DAWs at about $70.

Tweaking: trying to get close to the pro sound took some research and experimentation but the results are pleasing. It took some EQ to boost the mid range just a touch; did some compression (works like magic to level things out and boost volume); and finally, added some subtle reverb to get rid of the dead closet sound and add some depth.

Well that's my report, hope it helps some.

Regards,

Jeff

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks