DVD case creation tips

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

DVD case creation tips

Postby webcombo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:37 am

I posted this in the business opportunity section, but figured that there are more readers to this section so I thought I would give my process for creating DVD cases for clients. Would love to get other people's suggestions. And if we have a way to upload jpg's, I would love to get a thread going where we showcase our cases for ideas.

I create my files in Photoshop, using the front with a size of 5.687in x 7.187in. That allows for a .5" side for the folded side of the cover. Then, the back I create a seperate file with a size of 5.157in x 7.187in and, of course, save them seperately. Then, I create a blank document that is 10.844in x 7.187in and paste the front on the right side of the page, and the back, on the left. This gives me a perfect size cover, without the guesswork of how far I can go over. I usually "bleed" the front picture that I use to go onto the side border (the .5" fold).

I use to use an inkjet printer to print my covers onto pre-perferated stock. But I would have to put them under a fan for days and even then, depending on the humidity, the covers would stick to the shiny outer layer of the DVD cover. This just looked tacky to me. But didn't know what else to do. Then, I started working at FedEx Kinkos, and printed a cover onto a 10pt gloss cardstock, and voila, no more sticking. I put the cover into the case and it is just like a Hollywood movie cover. Not an ounce of stickyness at all. The reason being is that they use toner, as opposed to ink, and it dries instantly. The second it comes off the printer, you can rub all over it, and not get smeared. The cost for this is $1.49, but that would cover your paper and your ink. If you bring it in as a .pdf (most preferred form for printing at Kinko's) and ask them to print crop marks, you can then take your print over the self serve roll cutter, place that over the light table, and the light will shine through for you to be able to make a precise cut, with no white edges. Just a suggestion that I have found to work very well.

Note, you have to use 8.5 x 14 paper because there is a 1/4 in border that will not print on our printers. And the print is just a hair too big for 8.5 x 11 paper.

Hope this helps.

Rob

PS I am posting this in the tips and tricks section of both PSG and PSP, so if you see it in the other, it is a repost of this same message.

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks