Keyframing Tutorial

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:47 am

Andrzej

Much better than my brief description, but we are of a like mind on the use of 'Auto' :D

Brian

Postby gpsmikey » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:59 am

OK, thanks guys -- it's what I was afraid of --- we're being "helped" again.
I hate "autocorrect" things. I like having "word" tell me it thinks a word
is spelled wrong and even suggest a change. I *HATE* it when it thinks it
knows better and changes it without telling me. I used to maintain a large
database we used for software testing and verification -- one of the tests
was called the "Hardware Software Integration" and was abbreviated as
"HSI" -- I had to add all sorts of code to make sure the stupid auto correct
was off everywhere -- otherwise it changed it from HSI to HIS (which M$
just "knew" had to be right .... grrrrr ).

One feature PSP doesn't have (I don't think - I'm at work) on the keyframes
is a simple copy -- many things that use keyframes have a handy feature where
you can right click a key frame and select "copy" and it creates another keyframe
with the same parameters which you can move around. Makes it easy to
create a "steady state" at some point during a motion, zoom or whatever.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Re: Use of Auto

Postby marmart » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:39 am

briancbb wrote:Hope you understand this :?

This is how I have found 'Auto' works.

Say you have three KF's KF1, KF2 and KF3, and this is the actions you want.

From KF1 to KF2 you want to rotate the image 360 deg to an upright position.
From KF1 to KF3 the picture is to continually zoom in.

For the rotation, KF1 and KF2 will be set to 'Manual' and the rotation parameters entered.
For the zoom, KF1 will be 'Manual', KF2 will be 'Auto', and KF3 will be 'Manual' with the zoom parameters set in KF1 and KF3. The interpolated value of zoom will be 'Auto' entered at KF2 giving a smooth zoom from KF1 to KF3.

Hope I have this correct :wink:
Brian

OK, Brian and all you guys amaze me - all those who talk in "keyframe speak"!! I have tried, but I guess I don't have the kind of brain that can wrap itself (or embrace) techie things like this. God help me!!! I think I must be doomed to use 2.6 (or Gold) forever!!

Someone should write (not Photodex) "Producer 3.0 + for Dummies" - I'd be your first customer :?

Peace one and all!

Mary

Honorary ProShow PHD

Auto vs Manual KF Tutorial/Example posted...

Postby Tarafrost » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:09 am

I just finished creating a quick tutorial/example that illustrates the differences between Manual and Auto.

Check it out on this thread

Enjoy!
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

andy

Re: Auto vs Manual KF Tutorial/Example posted...

Postby andy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:47 am

Tarafrost wrote:I just finished creating a quick tutorial/example that illustrates the differences between Manual and Auto.

Check it out on this thread
enjoy!

Andrzej, FANTASTIC!!!!!!

Now thanks Jennifer, Andrzej and Brian, I think I now know why the Producer 3.0 manual (compared to the Proshow Gold manual) consists of far fewer pages…could it be as simple as it’s to keep the amateurs away (me)!! Or is it just that Photodex has been waiting for clever/helpful (of above average intelligence) people like you, to tell them (yes them) and the rest of us all about Keyframes!!.

I usually find that user manuals leave out the important things!!. Anyway the current Producer manual of some 200 pages as far as I am concerned has got lots and lots of padding and absolutely no substance.

Mary….. have you not realised……, but you have already written most of the Dummies manual for us, with all your input….I oftern say to myself when I read your posts …OH GREAT! ….

I can say with complete honesty, that my own edition/version of a dummies manual which I have been creating (by cutting/pasting then printing the posts from oh-so-many-of-you, almost on a daily basis), is on reflection, fast becoming a SUPER DELUX PLATIUM Edition because of everybody's input on this forum.
andy
Last edited by andy on Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:57 am

Andy:

Glad you found it useful. I figured I would do it up quick, since there is so much confusion on the topic.

You are right that the Producer manual is not very useful. It lists ever button, but like many manuals, does not give you much guidance as to how or why you might want to use certain features. These forums are great for that, and the spirit of sharing is very nice.

But I gotta say, armature?

armature, ar·ma·ture, noun - the pivoted part of an electric device, as a buzzer or relay, that is activated by a magnetic field.

So are you saying that your head is abuzz and spinning when trying to grasp KFs? ;-)

Oh....maybe you meant amateur? ;-)

Sorry....couldn't help myself on that one.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

andy

Postby andy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:45 am

Tarafrost wrote:Andy:

Glad you found it useful. I figured I would do it up quick, since there is so much confusion on the topic.

You are right that the Producer manual is not very useful. It lists ever button, but like many manuals, does not give you much guidance as to how or why you might want to use certain features. These forums are great for that, and the spirit of sharing is very nice.

But I gotta say, armature?

armature, ar·ma·ture, noun - the pivoted part of an electric device, as a buzzer or relay, that is activated by a magnetic field.

So are you saying that your head is abuzz and spinning when trying to grasp KFs? ;-)

Oh....maybe you meant amateur? ;-)

Sorry....couldn't help myself on that one.

Thanks....I was able to correct wrong spelling...I would never have spotted it as I suffer from word blindness.

Postby marmart » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:01 pm

Mary….. have you not realised……, but you have already written most of the Dummies manual for us, with all your input….I oftern say to myself when I read your posts …OH GREAT! ….

I can say with complete honesty, that my own edition/version of a dummies manual which I have been creating (by cutting/pasting then printing the posts from oh-so-many-of-you, almost on a daily basis), is on reflection, fast becoming a SUPER DELUX PLATIUM Edition because of everybody's input on this forum.andy

Andy you are a true "English Gentleman". Thank you for your most kind words.

Mary

andy

Postby andy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:23 am

marmart wrote:[i]Mary….. have you not realised……,
Andy you are a true "English Gentleman". Thank you for your most kind words.

Mary

Mary, thank you so much, but the title is not deserved…… the only other people that ever calls me an English gentleman are my Danish parents in law. Even my wife used to describe me as such to her Danish friends when we first met. Oh…it was so very hard to live up to!?!?!
andy

question on strip of pictures

Postby radman » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:14 am

I went to your moving pictures site. I can figure out some very clunky ways to get a strip of pictures to go across my screen like you did but I bet you have an elegant way of doing it. Can you share how you did that?

thx

Postby VidQueen » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:29 am

....actually, that is so old I created it in After Effects before Producer came out. However, it would be very easy to do in Producer. The key is to type in your numbers for position instead of dragging them across. For example, if you're going to have several travel across the top and several travel up the side, make sure that Y value (the second position box) is the same for all your photos going across the top...probably around -30. Same for x value (the first postion box) for the ones going up the side...probably around -30, as well. Once you position all your photos the way you want them for your first keyframe (you'll only need two keyframes for this) go to your second keyframe and add THE SAME AMOUNT TO EACH POSITION. For example, your first photo KF position is 40 x -30 and your second KF position is -50 x -30, making the photo travel across the top. If you play that back, and you like the movement, then you know you need to subtract 90 from all the photos x position (40 + 50) that you want to travel across the top. Its confusing to read, I know, just play around with it and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it! :D

Jennifer

re

Postby radman » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:38 am

got it. makes perfect sense!! thanks so much.

can I ask an off topic question since you are such an expert.

for a simple show, I usually select all my pictures and do a random motion to all of them at the same time. I then go through and tweak. I find I have to do the most tweaking for rotation because producer and gold both rotate too many degrees at a time in general.

I wish there was a way to tell it to use less rotation. Assuming there isn't, the new slider bars that the programs use to modify position work poorly for rotation. A tiny slide of the bar spins the picture way too much (too much torque to the slider bar). The old arrows required a click or two to fix it. I find now that I have to type in the numbers which becomes cumbersome when doing lots of slides.

Have you come across this problem and do you have any fixes?

thx.

Postby VidQueen » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:06 pm

Honestly, I've never used the random feature. I'm a big fan of "Form Follows Function". Each photo has it's own feel and it's own message; it's movement (or lack of movement) should reflect it's individuality. Having said that...

...after you've told Producer to randomzie everything, find the first photo where the rotation is too much. Change it to what you want it to be. Then, right click on the rotation value field and choose "copy rotation to other slides". You can then copy that rotation to any slide you want (and as many as you want).

If you go to the Photodex website and find my Member gallery (vidqueen) there is a folder called Tutorials. In that I have a tutorial for the Copy Settings dialog box, which I think will help solve your problem.

Hope that helps!
Jen

Postby radman » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:13 pm

thanks again!

I agree it is better to do each slide..but some slides shows have 300 or more pics and I find that the random movement of a little zoom and pan is fine for roughly half (which saves a LOT of time). For another half, minimal tweaking such as reducing zoom or slightly adjusting the pan does the trick.

I think this is a big time saver.

Do you use templates at all? If so, don't you include slide motion?

Postby VidQueen » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:48 pm

Oh yeah, to a fault actuallly! I'm a pretty big offender of moving every photo and, like you, I don't like the movement to be too radical. I just figure that if my clients wanted a PowerPoint they would have hired someone else :wink:

I do use templates and, to your point of creating shows with hundreds of slides quickly, I use the Copy Setting feature quite a bit. I'll set a nice slow zoom on my first picture and then copy those settings for all of the photos that I think it will apply to in the CS window. Saves a bunch of time...agreed!

Cheers!

Jennifer

PreviousNext

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks