Any updates on spinning front page of newspaper?

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Any updates on spinning front page of newspaper?

Postby willows26 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:00 pm

Someone queried 8 years ago if incorporating an effect like the spinning front page of a newspaper into a Proshow project was possible. I've read the information that was given back then but it seems like a less than effective way to produce such a look and the links provided for more information are no longer active. I'm just wondering if anyone has since come up with a newer solution to create something like that.

In my case, I am trying to spin a title screen from the distance to full screen while it rotates like a lifesaver being thrown to someone in the water. I'm hoping that several versions of Producer later, there can be some way of making an effective opening shot that mimics this. Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: Any updates on spinning front page of newspaper?

Postby trondmyhre » Sun May 14, 2017 11:05 pm

I hope I understand your question correctly. Enter Effects / Motion & Audio / Rotate, and enter (on the keyboard) a high number, preferably 4-5 digits. Set zoom to a lower value on the first keyframe (zero?) than on the keyframe where the spin should be terminated. Then I hope you get the effect you want.

Trond

Postby willows26 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Yes, that helps quite a bit Trond! Now I just have to experiment with my keyframes and rotation numbers to get exactly what I want.......thank you kindly!

Postby Dean Athans » Thu May 18, 2017 8:58 am

In the opening frame, set the rotate angle to 0. For the final frame (largest zoom), set the angle to a large multiple of 360 degrees, e.g. 1440.
This should do it.

- Dean A.
Dean A

Postby willows26 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:02 am

Thanks Dean - between you and Trond that works great, but I need to speed the spinning up some. I have eight keyframes on the slide in an arc, starting with a tiny zoom to indicate the title/object is in the distance to the full-screen zoom at the final keyframe. I diverged from your suggestion of first and last keyframes to attempt to increase spin rotation. To speed it up, I exponentially increased the rotation between EACH keyframe, which does increase the speed of the spin, but the speed isn't consistent between the keyframes even though they are spaced equidistant across the screen. It spins quickly between the first two keyframes and then much slower between the next two keyframes, etc., until the end keyframe where it suddenly reverses spin rotation until it comes to a stop. I'm still experimenting but have yet to discover how to have a nice, fast spin across the screen until it comes fullscreen at the end and locks in place.

Postby Dean Athans » Sat May 20, 2017 11:18 am

Willow -

I'm not completely sure I understand what you're doing (or trying to do).

If you just want more spinning for the entire range of the zoom, simply increase the total spin in the FINAL keyframe. If you want just the start and the end of the spinning to look smooth, check the "smooth" box for that motion (rather than the "accelerate" , "linear" or "decelerate"). Also, UNcheck the "manual/automatic" boxes in the intermediate keyframes so that PSP automatically interpolates those angles for a smooth motion starting at keyframe 1 and ending at, for example, keyframe 7.

If however, you do want to control spin speeds and or zooms between the intermediate keyframes, you can still accomplish that by selecting the "smooth" motion options for the keyframes BETWEEN those selected intermediate keyframes. Also, I've had some luck sometimes in choosing the "curve" parameters--e.g. 90%.

- Dean A
Dean A

Postby cherub » Sat May 20, 2017 11:25 am

I don't quite understand why you need the 8 keyframes, but let's say that you do... :D

If you want a uniform rotation between the keyframes, you only need to insert a rotation value in the first keyframe and another value in the last keyframe.
All the other rotation values will be calculated automatically by Producer.

In other words: By automatic I mean that you should remove all the rotation values that you may have inserted in keyframes 2 to 7, remove all the ckeckmarks that are there, at the right side of the percentage, and let Producer do its thing.

Postby heckydog » Sat May 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Trond I believe is trying to do an "easing" operation at the end of the slide. In other words it should spin fast as the headline zooms in and then the zoom should slow down, for example, the way that a car would slow down from 50 to 0 mph when it comes to a stop.

PSP has the Smooth and Decelerate options for Zoom and Rotate but I don't know if they will work the way he wants using 8 keyframes. I'm not well versed on using those other options, so maybe someone else can comment on it. As far as I can see, the function can only be applied to the first keyframe which doesn't offer a lot of flexibility for the desired effect.

Joe

btw, I think I was involved in that thread 8 years ago with the rotating newspaper video. I made a spinning sample of a newspaper but I haven't been able to find it on my computer . . . . yet

Postby willows26 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Trond, Dean, Mona and Joe, thank you all for the tips! I know it is hard to conceive of what I am doing without actually seeing it but your advice has been invaluable in getting me to my finished result which, to me, looks perfect! I can honestly say I have used bits and pieces of all that you offered and I have concluded with something I am sure my client will find most professional. You folks are great to have around! :D

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks