Can Transitions be edited or altered?

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Can Transitions be edited or altered?

Postby silverfox » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:23 am

Can we edit a Transition? If so, How do we do it?

Thnxs for hep ... the fox is still learning - sometimes getting senior moments slowing progress. . . . .

Re: Can Transitions be edited or altered?

Postby im42n8 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:27 am

The cat is out of the bag. Transitions are located in ProgramData/ProShow/Transitions/Cache

The file is a PSH file ... locate it under the named transition you seek. If you open this file, save it to a DIFFERENT FOLDER immediately to avoid corrupting the original file. You may need to populate the layers with images to see what's going on (they may be "blank" placeholder layers).

EDIT or make CHANGES only have you have made sure you have no way of overwriting the original file . . .

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:20 am

I assume you've created your own transitions before, but just in case you haven't, you'll most quickly find the right spot for saving a new transition by going into the Tools menu and choosing Manage Effects, and then clicking on the transitions tab. The other way is in the Options screen where you can click on Slide Settings at top left, which I consider not very intuitive. :wink:

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby silverfox » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Dale - Barb

Thank you . . .

Postby DTR4Video » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:48 am

Hi, I know this is an old topic but I've been trying to edit a transition that has blank (placeholder) layers and find that I can't alter anything unless I insert a file on the layers which then works fine. But once I've edited the layers as I want them e.g. zoom in instead of out, how do I then remove the file to allow the layers to be blank again but with the changes I have made? I have found nothing in the User's Guide or either of the Proshow books that I have. I'm using Producer 5.0.3310 and I've backed up the transition to another disk.

Thanks David

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:53 am

David, you can use an image as a placeholder, but make sure it's set to Fill Frame. As long as the image is set as "replaceable," you should be fine. The transition will contain a blank where the image was.

If you want to use a color solid instead of the image, add a temporary color solid, right-click it, choose copy settings, and then in the screen that comes up in which the color solid layer is selected, place a checkmark next to Gradient up near the top. On the right-hand side, place a checkmark next to your image layer. Click the Copy & Close button. You'll see in your layer list that your image is now a color solid. Delete the solid you'd added temporarily.

(Photodex refers to gradients and solids in the Copy Settings screen only as gradient. I imagine solids and gradients are essentially the same thing, but it can be confusing for us plain old folk. I wish they'd used Gradient/Solid instead of just plain Gradient.)

Barbara

Postby cherub » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:56 am

DTR4Video wrote:Hi, I know this is an old topic but I've been trying to edit a transition that has blank (placeholder) layers and find that I can't alter anything unless I insert a file on the layers which then works fine. But once I've edited the layers as I want them e.g. zoom in instead of out, how do I then remove the file to allow the layers to be blank again but with the changes I have made? I have found nothing in the User's Guide or either of the Proshow books that I have. I'm using Producer 5.0.3310 and I've backed up the transition to another disk.
Thanks David

David,
The blank layers - the placeholders - are created automatically by Producer, when you save that slide as a transition. It doesn't matter if you have a picture or a gradient there.
You must pay attention to two things:
a. That all the layers that are part of the slide that exits are marked as "Source Slide"
b. That all the layers that are part of the slide that enters are marked as "Destination Slide".
You will find these options if you right click on a layer and choose: Use as Transition Layer.

Once you do that, these layers are considered automatically as replaceable layers, and are therefore replaced with placeholders. You don't need to mark them as replaceable.

If the slide contains additional layers that serve as decorations/animations - they will be saved automatically with the transition, because they are considered irreplaceable layers, without you having to mark them as such.

If you look in the help file, you will find a pretty good tutorial on how to make your own transitions. All this is explained there.
Last edited by cherub on Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:02 am

cherub wrote:If the slide contains additional layers that serve as decorations/animations - they will be saved automatically with the transition, because they are considered irreplaceable layers, without you having to mark them as such.

I'll be darned. All along I was assuming it worked the same as it does in styles, but I now realize my assumption didn't make sense.

Barbara

Postby cherub » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:03 am

Yeah, well....
I was expecting you to "jump" when I wrote that....
That's how things are, Barbara.

Postby DTR4Video » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:45 am

Thanks very much for your help with this ladies. I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on.

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks