Lost Show Files

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Lost Show Files

Postby hhijim » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:37 am

Help!

I was almost done, then I got the dreaded message MISSING FILE--978 of them.

When I click to find files, and select the appropriate one the dialogue box states, "the missing file is not a supported format." All files are .jpg.

I have not moved any files. When I check the .psh file using note pad, the path appears to be accurate.

Everything worked fine until I moved a new folder into the folder containing the slideshow.

Any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

hhijim

Re: Lost Show Files

Postby debngar » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:10 am

This thread came up using a search in "advanced search" using +missing +files . I think the solutions suggested in this thread may help:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21804&p=165795&hilit=+missing+files#p165795

Searches using multiple key words require a "+" in front of each word and a space in between.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby illusion » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:42 am

I have found that once you start and save a show, the files, folders, etc. have to remain in the exact location and include the exact files or the show won't open. This has happened to me when I moved the folder to a new location or added another file to it. I have a show file that saved to my desktop for convenience sake and before I realized this issue, so now if I want to open the show, I have to take the file from its new location, back to the desktop for the show to open without notifying me of missing files. Very quirky.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:38 am

illusion wrote:I have found that once you start and save a show, the files, folders, etc. have to remain in the exact location and include the exact files or the show won't open. This has happened to me when I moved the folder to a new location or added another file to it. I have a show file that saved to my desktop for convenience sake and before I realized this issue, so now if I want to open the show, I have to take the file from its new location, back to the desktop for the show to open without notifying me of missing files. Very quirky.

The statements are not correct. If you change file location, when you open that show, it will tell you that the files are missing and asks you to point it towards them. Do that and you are back in business.save your show again and this will remember the current location of all your files.
regards.
pd

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:31 am

Adding to what pd has said, if you contain the show file inside a folder where you also keep the images and sounds, you can move that entire folder anywhere you want. If you try to choose the show from the recently-used list, however, ProShow will claim it can't find the show. And, of course, it can't. This is because the list records where the show was, not where it now is.

If you tend to shift folders around or rename them--I do it constantly--get in the habit of going into Preferences and clearing the recently-used list. I can easily end up with 4 different "versions" of the same show. I'm confused enough without that! :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks