newbie questions

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

newbie questions

Postby Lynnelle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Greetings all

I've been putting together shows for a wee while now, though still have much to learn!
My questions at the moment are how can I send a show to someone else over the Internet? Is it possible to download in Dropbox for example? And how do I save it to send via dropbox (that's the only free software I know of?) would it need to be avi or something else?

If I send them as avi - they can download onto the Internet - right?

or if they want to download on to a DVD - how would I save and send?

thanks in advance
Lynnelle

Re: newbie questions

Postby texan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:42 am

You might consider uploading your show (Via PSP) to YouTube. It's free and you can add many shows.......

Then your recipient can access your show by merely going to YouTube and viewing your video....

You don't have to worry about formats, using the presenter, and you can even password protect your show on YouTube to "block" the general public........

Here's an example: Click the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76a6RK4rEfo
Texan

Postby ronharp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:08 am

I just recently discovered http://www.mejuba.com. It is "new" but seems to have everything I've been looking for. Unlimited, free and easy. I was referred to them by one of my most respected computer knowledgeable friends I have online. I have no connection to this site but like it so far.

Ron
Ron Harp
27" Imac

It's been so long, I have to relearn everything.

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:11 am

Lynnelle, Texan's advice is excellent.

If you don't have a YouTube account, first you'll have to get one, and the easiest way to get through that particular process is by using everybody's good buddy, one of the Dummy books. Here's their description of the process: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... count.html Why read something difficult when we can read something simple, right? :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:14 am

Ron, the site looks interesting. Have you uploaded videos, and can people view them there, or do they have to be downloaded?

Barbara

Postby anitaemile » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:44 am

If you upload your show file in dropbox , you also need to add the folder with all the contents of the show. Easiest is to send it as .avi. Easiest way may be to go to Publish, Choose youtube share, click on the create button, and when the youtube window appears, click on the "save to computer" , bottom left corner. That way you don't have to publish it on youtube, but the show will be saved as an avi on your computer. You can then put the avi file in the dropbox.

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:57 am

Welcome !! There are multiple answers to your question as others have indicated. Typically, a show you would upload to the Photodex sharing site consists of a "px stream" which is a special file format. You can then provide a link to the person(s) you want to view your show and they can view it from there. The downside to that method is it requires them to install the "presenter" software (free download (safe)) from Photodex and it only runs on windows. As others have indicated, an avi (which is actually a "container" for various video formats) can be either uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo or other sites or can be transferred via something like dropbox as you asked about. Recognize that video files tend to get big depending on resolution, frame rate etc. (note that you could also create a .px stream file and transfer that the same way to them via drop box etc but they still need the "presenter" (free) utility to view that format). Another option not mentioned so far that may be useful depending on who you are "sending" your show to - you can create an ISO file (search the forums here for information on iso files - they are an "image" of a DVD basically) which you could put in drop box and the person on the other end could use any one of a number of utilities (including my favorite - the FREE "Imgburn") to create a physical DVD on their end from the ISO file that is identical to the DVD you have on your end (including menus etc.). Typically, it ends up coming down to you first need to see what the folks on the other end (your viewers) can handle. MP4 is a popular format for video that can be viewed on multiple platforms including mobile devices, however, you will need to find out just what resolution etc. they want for their mobile devices - some of the gadgets are fussy about what they will view. Anyway, there are lots of options and it depends on what your viewers can handle as to exactly what format(s) you need to render your shows to.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Valued Member

Postby DonM » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:32 am

Another Option

My preference is Vimeo

It's free if used non commercially

Video's can be uploaded in high definition if desired.

The videos can be made public or kept private (requires link with password) They have invitation form to send.

Videos stream either to Computer or for TV's with the APP can be viewed directly from the TV.

Don

Postby Lynnelle » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:43 pm

Thank you everyone for replying with my questions answered! I will read over all your suggestions again! And absorb, and try all suggestions out. I forgot I could use YouTube.

Another question - can you download or copy to DVD from a YouTube link? I will try to learn from YouTube tutorials, and photodex tutorials etc and as I said have much to learn, so really appreciate help from the experienced on this forum!

I love using Photodex though and am having great fun creating the shows - its just the saving - how to save to play the shows that I am struggling with (at the moment :)

regards
Lynnelle

Postby trulytango » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:30 pm

Take a more detailed look at gpsmikey's further up this thread.

If your recipient wants to burn the show to a physical DVD that will play on a regular DVD player, you should send them an ISO file. You'll find that option under output/DVD. Essentially, instead of creating a DVD yourself, you create an image file (ISO). Upload the ISO to Dropbox or similar, and your recipient can access it and burn the DVD using a burning program/utility such as the free Imgburn.

In short, you should really speak to your recipient and discover what equipment they actually have... other than a regular DVD player, they might have a Bluray system which allows for higher quality DVDs. Or a TV that will accept an AVI file stored on a memory stick, in which case you can match the resolution of the show/avi to their TV for optimum viewing.

You can of course output the same show in a variety of ways, which is exactly what the program is designed to do! When I create shows for people, I upload to Youtube and give them access to it and explain how they can share the link with others. If they're happy with what they see, I will then provide them with an ISO file and an executable as standard and a video file on request. I deal with this bit via electronic file transfer/Dropbox, or if necessary, save these output product files to CD/DVD and send by snail mail.

Hope that helps.

Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:52 am

Lynnelle, I fear we've each contributed to overloading your plate with options! Your best choice right now might be to use the Photodex option, uploading a show to your free account with them, and then giving the link to those you'd like to see the show, explaining to them that the required "Presenter" is a perfectly safe little widget for playing the show, one that many thousands of people use.

If the Presenter option is distasteful to your viewers, then either YouTube or Vimeo might be best.

The other options are truly excellent, but perhaps one step at a time is best so you don't end up overwhelming yourself with too many things to learn all at once.

Barbara

Postby Lynnelle » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 am

Thank you Iris and Barbara

Yes, a little overwhelming to take in - but when actually saving the show it might all make sense!? Thanks for your input on what to do.

Do you all have regular cliental now? I have been doing shows as a hobby or for people who would like one...but am now trying to set myself up as a small business - no website yet, but have opened a new Facebook page - separate from my friends and family one!

www.facebook.com/augustcreativephotos

It took me ages and ages to come up with a name too - it seems everything I wanted to call it was taken!

Its great to have a place where we can ask questions!

many thanks
Lynnelle

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:49 am

Lynnelle, your link goes nowhere. What happened?

Anyway, there are a number of people here on the forum who do shows for clients, and I'm sure you'll be able to get help from them. My own business involves creating products for people who have clients. :D

Barbara

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks