Copy to selected slides

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Copy to selected slides

Postby Magmatic » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:40 pm

You can right-click on a layer and do a Copy to selected slides command. I have never understood that. How do you select the slides? I have tried selecting a slide in the Slide List, open another slide (even while holding Ctrl) and do the command, but it doesn't work. How do you first select slides and then do that command in Slide Options?
David Shuford

Re: Copy to selected slides

Postby im42n8 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:06 pm

When you select a "Copy to Selected Slides", the slides you want to copy the layer to should already be selected (do NOT double click on ANY of those slides. If you do, the slide pointer will move to the double clicked slide and all selected slides will become unselected.) To Select the slides you want to copy a layer to just click on one, and then ctrl-click to select specific additional slide or shift click on the last slide in a continuous set of slides, as desired).

Next, on the slide you're copying from (its layers will already be shown in the slide options), select the layer you want to copy. Right click and then select "Copy to Selected Slides" from the popup menu.

That's all there is too it!

Just remember that the slide you're copying from should be the one pointed to in slide options (the slide number is shown in the first item under the Slide Options column in the Slide Options window). Subsequent selection of slides will not move that pointer (these slides are just being selected). Once you do it a few times it starts making sense. But, until then it might seem a bit counter-intuitive.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby Jean-Paul » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:09 am

Hi guys,

David, what Dale forgot to explain is in part 3 of this simple step by step description.

COPY TO SELECTED SLIDES in 3 simple steps:
1. Select the Source slide (the copy from slide)
2. Select the Destination slide(s) (the copy to slides)
3. With your mouse, right click on the Source slide, in the Menu click Slide Options.
This will open the Slide Options window directly into the Source slide without deselecting any of the selected slides.
Select and right click the element (setting, layer or caption) that you wish to copy, select copy > click Copy to Selected Slides. You are done.
Hope that helps,

Have fun guys,
Amicalement, Jean-Paul

This forum is to ProShow enthusiasts, what hair is to the gorilla

PSP v5 (last releas) PC: Win. 7 x64, CPU Intel i7, Memory RAM 12 GB, Disk partition (C:) SSD, GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Monitor 23” HD, GPU Benchmark for PSP 372.

Postby im42n8 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:01 am

Jean-Paul must have misunderstood or misread some of my instructions. It happens. The information he missed is contained in the summary of that previous post in the last paragraph.

To clarify his "simplified" instructions, however:
1. Select the source slide.
... You do this by double clicking on it. This opens the slide in the Slide Options
2. Select the Destination slide(s).
... You do this by single clicking on a slide and then ctrl-clicking additional single slides or by shift-clicking on the last slide you want to copy the layer(s) to (thereby selecting all slides between it and the first slide clicked on).
3. Copy the source slide's layer to the destination slides.
... On the source slide, you do this by Right clicking on the layer you want to copy. In the popup menu that appears, select Copy | Copy to Selected Slides.

That's how you copy a layer to multiple slides. The copied layer will appear as the first layer on each slide to which the layer was copied. This was the original request.

==================================================================

As Jean-Paul indicated, it works similarly for captions (but these will copy as the next caption, below any existing on the destination slide) ... but NOT for layer settings.

To copy layer settings, it's a quite different process. To copy them, Right click on the layer and select Copy Settings. This opens a 3 column window:
-- The first column is the Source Layer column and the chosen slide's layer is marked as selected (round white button with a black circle in it).
-- The center column is Settings to Copy. Click on each layer setting that you want copied to the destination layer(s).
-- The 3rd column is Destination Layers.
— If you select a slide as a destination, all layers on that slide will receive the source layer's settings upon clicking on Copy or Copy &Close.
— To select one or more destination layers on one or more specific slides, click on the "+" to expand the slide to display the layers on slide(s). Then select each layer to which the settings will be copied.
— Finally, click on "Copy: or "Copy & Close". This completes the process of copying the setting(s) from the source layer to the destination layer(s).

Dale

PS Blue is the updated information I added ... forgot to include it before. Important selection info!
Last edited by im42n8 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:37 am

Jean-Paul, though it accomplishes the exact same thing, your method seems the long way around. I've always brought up the slide in Options if it wasn't already there, selected slides in the timeline, then copied the layer in question to the selected slides. It's fast and easy.

However, do you have your Options screen set to maximum size so it covers the timeline? Perhaps this is the reason you use your method.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Jean-Paul » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:25 pm

My contribution to this forum, is not to compete but to join others in helping members that need help from experienced users.
David will decide what information is good for him as well as novices browsing the forum for information.

Jean-Paul

PSP v5 (last releas) PC: Win. 7 x64, CPU Intel i7, Memory RAM 12 GB, Disk partition (C:) SSD, GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Monitor 23” HD, GPU Benchmark for PSP 372.

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Jean-Paul, I stated my method, which I thought simpler, and then wondered if your method was a result of the size of your Options window. I wasn't attacking you.

Barbara

Postby Jean-Paul » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:00 pm

BarbaraC wrote:Jean-Paul, I stated my method, which I thought simpler, and then wondered if your method was a result of the size of your Options window. I wasn't attacking you.

Barbara

No offense taken Barbara...

Amicalement, Jean-Paul

Postby Magmatic » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks to everybody.

Wow! I had never thought of trying to select slides AFTER opening the Slide Options window. I can't see the slide list anyway. The window is too big to get to the slide list.

The Gear icon menu isn't much help. UNTIL, in Edit|Preferences|Apperance, I click Allow all dialog sizes, regardless of screen resolution.

Then, I can click the Gear icon in Slide Options, and choose a smaller Slide Options window.

However, with my setup (1280x768), the smallest I can have is 1024x768, which is still too large to comfortably gain access to the slide list. I can do it if I move the window off to the side. There is no room at the bottom.

All in all, it might be just as easy to use Copy to Specified Slides.

You guys must have honking big monitors.

Thanks, again!
David Shuford

Postby im42n8 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:32 pm

If you can afford it, you might try to add a 2nd monitor. If your video card supports 2 or more monitors give it a try. You'll NEVER want to go back to a single monitor setup again. This way, you can have the slide options dialog in one screen and the main program window in the other monitor. It's great!

Dale

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:40 am

im42n8 wrote:This way, you can have the slide options dialog in one screen and the main program window in the other monitor.

I already lose sight of things on my single monitor (1920 x 1080). I fear if I had 2 monitors, I'd lose considerably large things such as my husband.

How does the cursor know which screen to be in? If you go off the edge of one screen, heading toward the other, will the cursor magically appear on the other screen?

Barbara

Postby Jean-Paul » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:20 am

Hello David,

I have just read your last thread, I am sorry to see that you seam to have abandoned the use of the functionality “COPY TO SELECTED SLIDES”. It is regrettable because it is as simple as one, two, three by following the description I gave you in my first thread.
It is the right way to proceed if the size of the SLIDE OPTION window covers your entire monitor screen.
As a matter of fact, I think, it probably is the only way to accomplish this.

However, you are right, there is more than one way to mount a horse.
The main thing, David, is that you continue to have fun with Proshow Producer.

Amicalement, Jean-Paul

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:02 am

Magmatic wrote:I can do it if I move the window off to the side. There is no room at the bottom.

I keep my Options screen at its smallest size even though I have a large monitor. The reason is that I can't otherwise see the main preview screen, which shows far more detail than the Options window. Even so, I'm constantly shifting the Options screen left to see more of the preview or right to get at my file list. Dale's suggestion of a second monitor is actually a good one, and if I ever spot a monitor that costs little, I might just get it so I can shift Options over to it. The problem is, of course, that Producer is the only software I own that could benefit from dual monitors. That's why I'd refuse to pay much at all for it.

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:31 pm

I re-purposed a monitor from a previous computer...after playing with two monitors I never wanted to go back. I can have two applications open, 1 in one monitor and 1 in the 2nd monitor. For instance, I'll open Producer and then open the Slide Options and keep both in the same monitor. On the 2nd monitor I'll open a spreadsheet I developed to help calculate rotation center values (or changes in layer sizes and the corresponding modifier values, or distances associated with rotating a layer and then moving it along that line or perpendicular to it...etc). Anyway, I can work out stuff or write stuff in one monitor and do other stuff, maybe related work, in the 2nd monitor. I don't have to keep switching (using alt-tab) between windows that way. (the only thing is tho, your video card has to support 2 or more monitors)

I LIKE IT! :D :D :D

Dale

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:50 pm

So, if you placed the Options window on one monitor and had all the rest of Producer on the other monitor, you'd switch focus using Alt+Tab, but what if you want to drag and drop an image from the folder list into the Options screen? Can that be done?

Just curious because, the more I think about it, the more clearly I see the logistics. Too much equipment surrounding me already.

Barbara

Next

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks