Captions

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Esteemed Member

Captions

Postby reptep » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:52 pm

I know this is easy, I think, but can't figure it out.

Trying to scroll a caption but I only want it to appear inside a frame I have on the screen.
I though it would be something with masking but haven't done that with a caption before. Or perhaps it's something else.

Do the PSP techies on here know how to create that?

Thank you
Todd

Re: Captions

Postby im42n8 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:31 pm

Nope, can't be done directly. What you COULD do is to put in your caption in the font (size and typeface) and color you want ... on a black background. Then, do a frame capture on the main preview window (right click on it and select the capture option at the bottom of the menu). Save to a place and name that you can find later. Save it as a JPG. Then import it to your slide. Now, it's a graphic. To get rid of the black background you can use the use the chroma key option to remove it.

A graphic can appear behind or in front of things and you can mask it to appear.

Dale

PS I'm not at home and don't have access to specific stuff to give you more detailed information. But, that should get you started. (I'll be back at the home computer in a few hours...)
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks Dale. Almost went there but thought there might be someplace in PSP I could do.
Have done that with see through captions
Thanks for the reminder

Todd

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:13 am

Adding to Dale's advice, if you type your caption in white on black and, as Dale says, capture the frame, you can use it as a grayscale mask, placing any solid color or gradient inside it that you like. This gives you the option of easily changing your mind about what color text you want.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:26 am

IMO, scrolling captions are much harder to read for the viewer than static ones. People that are poor readers may have trouble keeping up. I feel it takes longer time to display them so the viewer can take in all the information. I'm a fairly good reader but prefer captions that don't move all that much.

I've used scrolling a few times, but on a limited basis.
Last edited by debngar on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby im42n8 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:50 am

One of these days, Photodex is going to give us the ability to control captions in a much greater way than we can at the moment. At least, we can hope. Having the ability to place our captions below slide layers is a much requested feature. Too, the ability to mask them and blur them has been requested. However, captions are still relegated to a minor importance in the scheme of things. There's a lot we'd like them to do. Until then, don't hold your breath (you'll turn blue).

So, we have to resort to graphic text to do some of the more advanced things we'd like to do with them. Some folk have the imagination to take advantage of those advanced approaches to handling captions. Most, as you may have noticed, haven't a clue (either because they don't have a need, haven't ever thought about it, don't care, or don't have the expertise/experience). You appear to be one of those willing to try something unique and interesting! Kudos! I hope it works out for you. Good luck!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:54 am

Perhaps the most famous (and excellent) use of scrolling captions was done in "Star Wars." It was utterly readable while also giving the sense of traveling through space. There is, as they say, more than one way to skin a cat. :D

Barbara

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:26 am

debngar wrote:IMO, scrolling captions are much harder to read for the viewer than static ones. People that are poor readers may have trouble keeping up. I feel it takes longer time to display them so the viewer can take in all the information. I'm a fairly good reader but prefer captions that don't move all that much...

FWIW I agree completely. Unless the text is very limited, I now avoid it entirely.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:38 am

Hold on guys and gals! Todd was seeking a how-to, not approval, which if you think about it very carefully in this case, is a matter of taste, not of fact.

Barbara

Postby debngar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:39 pm

To clarify, I didn't post my opinion to necessarily poo poo it altogether or put down the wish to use it. Since
it was brought to my attention the content of my post in this thread was not helpful in the context of the thread originator’s initial post, in retrospect, I agree and apologize. Thank you Barbara.

I agree that currently the best solution to scroll a caption in regards to the original question, is solved by the method of screen capture then using the image in a layer and keyframing the movement.

I personally chose to remove the 3rd post below this one that referred to another member’s comments as it brought attention to something that was best to let work out for itself.
Last edited by debngar on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks all
Barbara...got a good laugh at your post at the end of my day. Your comment was true but I am a very stubborn person. I'm going to do things the way I want anyway. I'm a Taurus, I can't help it. But I do still enjoy reading other peoples opinions and suggestions.

Todd

Postby im42n8 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:29 pm

Todd,

One of the advantages to doing captions in a graphical format is that you can do things that are otherwise impossible. Your idea of scrolling them within a frame is one of them. But, you can also blur them (or provide a "blurred" effect behind the actual caption) and use rotation center. Both of the latter features are on Photodex's "to do" list. Don't hold your breath anytime soon since these new features''ll require a complete revamp of the whole caption system AND letting them still be backward compatible (as for when importing older shows). That includes the idea of letting captions be behind a slide's layers.

With the rotation center idea, you can create graphical crosshairs and then use them to accurately figure out who wide and tall the caption is. Then, you can work out actual rotation center for it (useful for providing rotation and tilt) . Lots of little neat tricks are possible! Unfortunately they're only available when converted to a graphic . . . oh well. :D

Good luck!

Dale

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 pm

ok why can't I do this.
Typing the caption on a black backround on a new slide.
Rt click not seeing anything saying capture screen.
I am doing this on preview screen...I think....
I double click the slide that I put the caption on but not seeing where to capture.
Am I on the wrong screen.? I've done this before but .....can't seem to figure it out again. Know it's easy. Seniour moment I guess

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:22 pm

sorry sorry...I found it.
However if the caption is very long and I want to scroll it, it doesn't seem like I can do that as it only captures the screen itself. Is that right?
Todd

Postby BarbaraC » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:00 am

Try this:

Type all the caption lines in white on a black background, using a single layer, each caption on a separate line.
Use Capture Frame.
In the "real" slide, place this image as a layer beneath the frame layer.
Create a Solid Color layer beneath the caption layer.
Set the caption layer as a grayscale mask.
Now you can start the caption layer panned down so it isn't seen beneath the frame (best if the frame is fullscreen)
End the panning motion so the caption is above the viewing area inside the frame.

That's the basic way to do it. There are certainly variations, and in your case if the caption includes many lines, you may have to capture multiple sets of caption screens. You can then create multiple sets of mask/color beneath the frame. Alternatively, you can combine the captures into a single file in an image editor.

If, by the way, the frame inside which you want to show the scrolling caption is a fullscreen frame, you don't necessarily have to use masking since the area surrounding the frame will block out what's beneath it.

Barbara

Next

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks