To freeze video first frame

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

To freeze video first frame

Postby young02 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:24 am

After loaded a video clip to a show, is it possible to freeze the first frame of the video for few seconds in Producer ?

Thank you !

Re: To freeze video first frame

Postby cherub » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:01 am

Hi,
I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you are trying to do.
Do you want to show the first frame of your video as a static picture?

If yes, then, here is how you can accomplish this:

Producer has the ability to capture frames from a slide (or in your case, your video). Just scrub slowly under the main preview, and when you reach the right place, right click on the preview. From the menu that opens, choose Capture Frame. You will be presented with a new menu, where you can specify the dimensions that you want, the format of the file that you need, and the place where you want to save the image.

After that, you can insert this image in a slide of its own, before your video.
This slide can have any duration that you want, and it can be static.

Postby young02 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:14 am

Thank you Mona for the fast reply.

well, what you said is almost there but it's not quite the same for what i'm expected.

yeah, I used to use screen capture tool to capture the first frame of a video clip and back to producer to achieve
this.

and I wonder if there's a way to directly make the effect by controlling the video clip pause for few seconds,
since producer can do it for the frozen effect to the last frame of a video , but I just donnot know how to freeze
the first frame or some of the middle frame.

regards,

Postby cherub » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:37 am

young02 wrote:.

and I wonder if there's a way to directly make the effect by controlling the video clip pause for few seconds,
since producer can do it for the frozen effect to the last frame of a video , but I just donnot know how to freeze
the first frame or some of the middle frame.
regards,

I'm not aware of any other way that you can achieve this.
How exactly are you freezing the last keyframe of a video in Producer?

Postby young02 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:36 am

cherub wrote:

I'm not aware of any other way that you can achieve this.
How exactly are you freezing the last keyframe of a video in Producer?

It's bit tricky, after you loaded a video clip, the producerwill display the video clip time, e.g. if a clip is 5 seconds,
then you set it as 6 seconds, then you'll see that happened to the last frame, just give yourself a try.

Hope someone can find a way to control the 1st frame or the middle frame for the freeze effect.

Nice chatting again, thank you !

Postby heckydog » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:05 am

Adobe After Effects has a feature called Time Remapping which can do exactly what you describe. PSP does not. The steps that Mona describes is the best way to achieve the freeze frame effect in PSP.

Joe

Postby young02 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:44 am

heckydog wrote:Adobe After Effects has a feature called Time Remapping which can do exactly what you describe. PSP does not. The steps that Mona describes is the best way to achieve the freeze frame effect in PSP.

Joe

You're right Joe, some video editing tools like Premiere, After Effects, Video Copilot, and the popular
Corel VideoStudio Pro etc., are also support this video effect.

Hopefully PSP can use the existed picture keyframe concept appply to video in proshow
to achieve this.

Postby Jean-Paul » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:26 am

Hello everyone,

Young02, if I understand your question correctly, what you are asking is to simply freeze a video at a certain point (any point) for a few seconds and let it start again at the very same point and let it play on. If that is what you wish to accomplish, it is very simple to do using very common functionalities of Producer.

The way to do this is by using a duplicate layer of your video,
EXAMPLE: Layer 1 (duplicate of your video) using the Trim video function, stop the video at 5 seconds > set key frame number 2 at 10 seconds.
Layer 2 (original video) using the Trim video function, set the Start at 5 seconds > set key frame number 1 at 10 seconds.

You will see that your video plays for the first 5 seconds, freezes for 5 seconds than start going again at the same point for the duration of the video or slide.

Hope that helps,

Amicalement, Jean-Paul

This forum is to ProShow enthusiasts, what hair is to the gorilla

PSP v5 (last releas) PC: Win. 7 x64, CPU Intel i7, Memory RAM 12 GB, Disk partition (C:) SSD, GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Monitor 23” HD, GPU Benchmark for PSP 372.

Postby young02 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:46 am

Hi Jean-Paul,

glad that you provide the solution, but I'm not quiet familiar with the PSP Trim function and
bit behind what you stated, please guide me thu these steps which I think I may misunderstood
your processes. Thanks !

Jean-Paul wrote:Hello everyone,

Young02, if I understand your question correctly, what you are asking is to simply freeze a video at a certain point (any point) for a few seconds and let it start again at the very same point and let it play on. If that is what you wish to accomplish, it is very simple to do using very common functionalities of Producer.
Yes, it is.

The way to do this is by using a duplicate layer of your video,
EXAMPLE: Layer 1 (duplicate of your video) using the Trim video function, stop the video at 5 seconds > set key frame number 2 at 10 seconds.
How to stop the video at 5 seconds by operating which function key or button? or do you mean it's the end frame time set to 5.000 ?
How about the KF-1, leave it untouched?

Layer 2 (original video) using the Trim video function, set the Start at 5 seconds > set key frame number 1 at 10 seconds.
How to set the Start at 5 seconds? do you mean to set the start frame time as 5.000?
How about the KF-2, leave it untouched?

What's the total time length of the video cilp ?

You will see that your video plays for the first 5 seconds, freezes for 5 seconds than start going again at the same point for the duration of the video or slide.

Hope that helps,

Amicalement, Jean-Paul

Postby Jean-Paul » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:36 am

Hi,

I see that you are trying to eat the apple starting from the heart (the apple being Producer) :D
To create this effect you must have a minimum of general knowledge of how Producer works. The video trim function can be located by selecting your video layer in slide options, click on the layer settings tab, on the lower right hand side of the window you will see video clip settings, you will also see a bottom with the name trim. The trim bottom opens a dialog that permit you to adjust where you want your video to start and/or end among other settings. You need to study that dialog box very carefully.
As far as KF 1/2, in my example, I do not mention them because they don't need any special settings.

I suggest that you study this effect using a short video with good motion such as a person walking across the screen or something like that, in a show that you create specifically for your studies.
I would also strongly suggest that you read the pdf user manual that you can save a copy on your PC here:
http://files.photodex.com/docs/manuals/ProShowProducer5.pdf

Good luck with your testing.
Amicalement, Jean-Paul

PSP v5 (last releas) PC: Win. 7 x64, CPU Intel i7, Memory RAM 12 GB, Disk partition (C:) SSD, GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, Monitor 23” HD, GPU Benchmark for PSP 372.

Postby young02 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi Jean-Paul

After several trails, it's confirmed what I thought before about the stop/start time...

You mentioned " stop the video at 5 seconds " = Stop Frame time in TRIM function.
You mentioned " set the Start at 5 seconds " = Start Frame time in TRIM function.

In lack of a single direct control ability over "Freeze Frame" in PSP, It's a good alternative to
achieve the Freeze Frame effect for the 1st frame or any frame in the middle.

For the video clip time is quite long and lengthy, this method will then depend on your CPU/HD storage power.

Many thanks to Jean-Paul, Mona and Joe to provide me help on this subject !

Postby Jean-Paul » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi,

Fine business! The method is not perfect but it works.

Happy I could be of some help to you.
Amicalement, Jean-Paul

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks