Colorizing a png file

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Colorizing a png file

Postby SandyB » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Is that possible?
I photoshopped a frame png that I'd like to colorize for various slides in a show.
Colorizing doesn't seem to work. Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance, my enthusiast friends. :lol:
Smiles, Sandy
Connecting Who You Are With What You Love To Do

Re: Colorizing a png file

Postby im42n8 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Not sure what you're doing but, yes, colorizing does work. However, depending on what the PNG is in colors, you "may" have to play with the contrast. You shouldn't need to do that tho ... but just for future reference, the contrast control can change the intensity of your colorization. The white and black points will have a definite effect too.

There's nothing special about a PNG that would prevent it from being affected by the colorization ... unless it's all white (or close to it). In that case, then the contrast control is a must.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby SandyB » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:03 pm

Ahh the contrast slider. That's it - because the png is a white frame.
And the contrast slider is a fabulous tip! How often have I tried to colorize slides
and could never get exactly the shade I wanted. Now I'm good to go.

Thanks much Dale! No surprise that you would know the definitive answer :!:
Sandy
:D

Postby debngar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi Sandy!

When I first started using Producer many years ago, it bugged me that I couldn't colorize the borderstandard.png file in the included ProShow content. I tried colorizing, fiddling with the black and white points but wasn't satisfied with the results. The problem is that it's a black and white image. You may like the results better using a masking method to achieve color to your frame instead.

Try this very very old tutorial that speaks to this situation and tell me if it makes any sense to you. I think using the masking method will get you the colors you want consistently than fiddling with the white and black points trying to get color from the pure black and white areas, etc.

"Changing The Look Of Layered Frame " - From 2007 - (an oldie but a goodie)
http://www.photodex.com/share/debngar/b2c87mg4

This other old tutorial shows the use of a gradient layer or textured background image layer to "color" your frame as an alternative, using the same kind of masking technique and the borderstandard.png file.

"Frame Alternatives"
http://www.photodex.com/share/debngar/a68xdmg4

Hope that makes sense
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby SandyB » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:49 am

Thanks Debbie! Lots of good ideas in your tutorials! :!: Just have to figure out which ones
will work for my project and then put the ideas into action.

Loved the photos too - the kittens and the flowers! Very interesting to see
how the different color frames change the look of the photos.

BIG thanks, Pro Show Master!
Sandy :D

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks