Gradient = Color Solid (in Copy Settings)

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Gradient = Color Solid (in Copy Settings)

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 am

If you've used the same Color Solid in, say, 20 slides, and you then decide on a different color, use Copy Settings and choose Gradient, pretending it says Color Solid. You can use it to change the color of every Solid you select in the right-hand column.

This is a joyful discovery, given that I had 27 slides in which to match the color solids to a change of mind.

I've already alerted Photodex to how confusing it is, and so maybe they'll remedy it someday.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: Gradient = Color Solid (in Copy Settings)

Postby gpsmikey » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:14 am

I guess that makes sense if you consider a color solid as a gradient with 0 deviation across it. Certainly not "intuitively obvious" to me though. See if I can remember that next time :roll:

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:23 am

That's what my conclusion was since we can certainly make a gradient appear as if it's a solid, but still, we all know we can't edit a gradient and be given a solid's color screen, or vice versa, editing a solid and go to the gradient screen. As you say, it isn't intuitively obvious.

Barbara

Postby im42n8 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 am

My solution to solids was to NOT use them at all. I use gradients and make them a single color when I need a solid color. So, it's been awhile since I've run into this little tidbit.

That said, I don't understand why "gradient" in the menu was the stand-in for solid colors as well as gradients. It's gotta be an oversight.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:20 pm

There are times when a gradient is the wrong choice. When creating products for others to use and where single colors are what's needed, it would be onerous for a customer to be editing gradients when a simple right-click + edit brings you to a simple color chooser. With a gradient, you have to change the color of 2 markers. And in the particular case where I discovered that gradient=solid, we're talking about periodic changes made to multiple slides. A color solid is the way to go.

I think it's less an oversight than that, at Photodex, they know so much about the software that they sometimes forget what the user can't possibly know. Ever go to the doc and be fed information in medical terms? Hello? :D

Barbara

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks