Little things make big differences

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Little things make big differences

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 16, 2012 9:13 am

How about if we share those little tips--the quick or easy or clever ways of accomplishing things that we've learned from others or from experimentation? Newbies and veterans alike will benefit.

My favorite is "Paste Into," which I began experimenting with after Dale mentioned it to me one day. I quickly realized it may be the fastest way to combine slides known to man. Here's how it works:

Copy slide A to the Clipboard.
Right-click slide B and choose Paste Into.

That's it. Everything in slide A is magically transported to the top of slide B. Want everything transported to the bottom? Do it in reverse, pasting slide B into slide A.

Your turn.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Re: Little things make big differences

Postby debngar » Wed May 16, 2012 9:55 am

I've forgotten about that copy/paste into slide feature. Glad you shared it Barbara. :D

Would bet that many peopled wished that trick worked with bank accounts these days too. Copy and paste on top of the account. :lol:
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 16, 2012 10:26 am

If you figure out the bank account thing, please let us know!

Barbara

Postby debngar » Wed May 16, 2012 11:43 am

Sure thing.... :D
Last edited by debngar on Wed May 16, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie

Postby cherub » Wed May 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Debbie, what a brilliant idea !
If you find the solution to that banking thing, will you also Copy and Paste into my account too, please :D :D

As to the tip itself of copying and pasting into a slide.
It's a very nice tip and something that I use quite often. I also like to "combine" slides, which is practically the same thing.
It's important to pay attention to the times of the two slides that are being merged, because if the times are different, we may get some weird results....

Postby im42n8 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:21 pm

I've stated this in the past, but it's worth repeating.

Use a Gradient layer instead of a Solid Color layer. Why?
There's functionally little difference between a solid color layer and a single color gradient.

A solid color layer only has 1 color. It can never work as a gradient.
A gradient layer can be 1 or more colors. It can work exactly the same as a solid or it can change its color(s) as needed (easily and quickly).

Let's say that you want to duplicate a white layer and convert it to a layer that goes from transparent to black (as a kind of shadow layer). As you know, duplicating a layer retains all of any existing keyframes and their settings. But, if you started with a solid color layer you're out of luck. Your only choice is to recreate the layer from scratch (a situation that's fraught with the potential for making errors). Only a gradient layer can change its characteristics.

So, I see more advantages to using gradient layer that works as a solid vs using a solid color layer.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby BarbaraC » Wed May 16, 2012 1:27 pm

I do that periodically, too, Dale. Also, gradients can be coaxed into all kinds of shapes and colors. Folks ought to explore them more.

cherub wrote:It's important to pay attention to the times of the two slides that are being merged, because if the times are different, we may get some weird results....

Every now and then, a weird result is good, though not usually. :D

Another thing I do constantly is right-click caption color/size/font. I've been known to fiddle and fiddle until, finally, I make up my mind. A single right-click allows copying an attribute to all captions on all slides or on selected slides. Way back in the dark ages, I'd make the changes one by one, grumbling the whole way.

Right-clicks are good for one's disposition.

Barbara

Postby Anna J » Sun May 20, 2012 10:34 pm

Actually, the banks already have the copy and paste feature. They call it "transfer", and if you don't know how to work it, ask one of your college age kids. They'll happily teach you how you can "copy and paste" money from your account to their account without ever getting up from your computer desk. It's an instantaneous transfer: one second you're fat and happy; the next you're poor and depressed. :roll:
Anna

Postby alwaztypin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks for the great tips you guys! When I figure out exactly what you're saying, I'm going to try it ;)

Anna - I COMPLETELY understand what you're saying, except in my household it's more like a "cut and paste." CUT from my wallet and PASTE into their hot little hands :) Teenagers....

Postby pinger » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:42 pm

If would be an overstatement to say I'm weeping with joy (I'm a guy and avoid weeping whenever possible) but having only joined this site today.....I've already picked up two "tips" that will dramatically improve my productivity...this being one of them. Let's just say......"cha-ching." Thank you much for sharing the Paste Into thingy.....

pinger

Postby BarbaraC » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:39 am

pinger wrote:Thank you much for sharing the Paste Into thingy.....

I'd forgotten about this thread until you posted and moved it back up. You might try my ProShowThink for tips and techniques. Also, Debbie (see above) has a tips site: Do It All in Producer! Then there's Choice Slides collection of tutorials. And still more! Go to Dale's blog for lots of techniques.

If I missed anyone, please correct me. It's still very early in the morning. :(

Barbara

Postby debngar » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:40 am

BarbaraC wrote: You might try my ProShowThink for tips and techniques. Also, Debbie (see above) has a tips site: Do It All in Producer! Then there's Choice Slides collection of tutorials. And still more! Go to Dale's blog for lots of techniques.

If I missed anyone, please correct me. It's still very early in the morning. :(

Barbara

Thanks for the plug Barbara. There is probably some content on my website that is out of date. (Just a heads up for those that wind up clicking on my link.) I've been busy with other stuff and haven't have time to post anything new on that particular website of mine for quite some time.
Debbie

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks