HD and SD from same file

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

HD and SD from same file

Postby oldtap » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:04 pm

I have a newbie question. I have just finished a show in Producer 5 and I am ready to burn a hi-def disc for my video club. A few of my coffee shop cronies hinted they would like to see the show; however they do not have the facilities to play hi-def data discs. My question is this, do I have to make a copy of my show before I render it or is there a way to make both shows from the same file? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Doug :?

Re: HD and SD from same file

Postby im42n8 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:38 pm

There a question here concerning your definition of "hi-def" ... since your topic title is HD and SD. These two are different only in their sizes (aspect), basically. HD has a ratio of 16:9 (widescreen) while SD is 4:3 (standard tv ratio). In either case, an HD show can play on an SD TV without problems (generally ... it's usually the viewer who has the problem). The difference being that the video will have black bars at the top and bottom (that is, in letterbox). This is no different than some of the TV shows that (finally) broadcast the show in widescreen format (or "letterbox").

If your effects are designed to work in either aspect, they are usable in either. Otherwise, the answer is no. In that case, they'll only work correctly in the format for which they were designed. So, you may have to rework your show.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby oldtap » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:27 am

Thanks Dale,
It looks like my inexperience is showing. Perhaps what I meant to say is; can I make two discs, one with a resolution 1920x1080 and another at 720x480 from the same show or will I have to make a copy of my show to make both discs?I hope I have explained myself better this time. I appreciate your efforts to help me.
Thanks,
Doug :?

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:29 am

The answer is "it depends" :roll: - yes you can easily make two different disks (just use different options when you create the output). The "it depends" part is a function of the aspect ratios - if the SD disk is a 4:3 format and the other disk you want to create is 16:9, then you will have to make a copy of the psh file and re-make the show to get things to look right. If both the SD and high density show are using 16:9 aspect ratios, then it is just basically a matter of setting the options in the output when you are creating the disk (or ISO file for creating the show disks). As long as you are not changing the aspect ratio, you can create a number of different formats that way (one for youtube for example and one for your iPod ). Is that what you wanted to know ?

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby oldtap » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:05 am

Thank you Mikey,
That is exactly what I wanted to know. Both shows would be 16:9 so I'm assuming I can use the same show.
Thank you,
Doug. :D

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks