Movement in a smooth arc

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Movement in a smooth arc

Postby mgator » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:38 pm

I have been trying to create movement of a layer in a smooth arc from keyframe one to two. I have tried to use modifiers but can't seem to get the effect. Can this be done in PSP? All suggestions appreciated.

Re: Movement in a smooth arc

Postby heckydog » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:05 pm

Can you use the rotate tool and change the rotation center to achieve the effect you want? For example change kf1 and kf2 rotation center to 0,1000. Then change the rotation angle for each kf to create the arc movement.

Joe

Postby mgator » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks Joe. Played around with your suggestion and I think I can get the effect I wanted. It sure is nice to have access to knowledgeable people. I had not even considered using the rotation parameters.

Dennis

Postby im42n8 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:13 am

I've played with arcs created in modifiers and found that it's often more of a pain because there's no way to scale the modifier to your changes in slide time (the option, while available, doesn't work).

The recommendation by Joe to use rotation center changes is an excellent one. For more information on how to utilize this feature, check out the link below. Pan, zoom, rotation center and image aspect all play a part in determining an your rotation center selection. This is one of the reasons this particular feature is under-utilized and not well understood either. It's a feature that's layer-referenced instead of screen referenced. Hence, it's harder to use effectively. You don't always need to be precise but sometimes it can save one heck of a lot of hunt and peck time when you're trying to find the right spot.

http://fenimorephotovideos.com/blog/?page_id=360

Have fun!
Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby anitaemile » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:10 am

Dennis

If you don't want to use the "change the center of rotation " technique because you might want to have your layer follow a less curved path or perhaps have it move outside a curved path you could enter multiple keyframes in between a first and last keyframe. If you activate the "show layer path" option you will see the keyframes on the path of movement. You could drag them with your mouse and space them out evenly. After done this you have to make sure the boxes behind the x and y pan settings are all green for all keyframes in between the first and last keyframe to make the movement as smooth as possible.

Postby im42n8 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:01 am

Anita said "...you could enter multiple keyframes in between a first and last keyframe. ... You could drag them with your mouse and space them out evenly. After done this you have to make sure the boxes behind the x and y pan settings are all green for all keyframes in between the first and last keyframe to make the movement as smooth as possible."

You might want to use the keyframe method described by Anita as it can provide a desired "path" for your layer to follow. It's an excellent way to provide user defined arcs or curved paths. It's also easier to implement if you don't have the time (or inclination) to learn the other methods at this time. It's great to have multiple ways to accomplish the same thing! :D

However, changing the pan settings box from BLUE (manual) to GREEN (auto) after you've set your keyframe defined path will result in a path that leads straight from your STARTING position to your ENDING position with all keyframes in-between ignored. That is, a bee-line from 1st to last keyframe (no curved path). So, don't do that if you want to keep your arc(s) in the defined path.

Additionally, if you keep the keyframe auto/manual button blue (or manual), you may want to play with the motion speed. Default is "smooth" but you can use a speed that is linear, decelerates, or accelerates from keyframe to keyframe. This motion speed can give some interesting effects.

Also, changing the amount of smoothing lets you "round" out or "sharpen" changes in direction at a keyframe (or effectively, from one keyframe to the next).

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby anitaemile » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:30 am

Oop. Dale is right. I should not have mentioned to click the pan values green. Those should remain blue or the layer would follow a straight path. If you would have different zoom values ( keyframe 1 and last keyframe) you would need to click the zoom x and y values green from the in between keyframes to have the layer change it's zoom smoothly. Something completely different. So once in a while I wonder where my brain went wandering off.. .. :lol: :lol:

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:33 am

So once in a while I wonder where my brain went wandering off.

It's a relief to know I'm not the only person whose brain turns left while all the rest of me turns right. :D

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:57 am

Ditto! :D

Dale

Postby mgator » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks Dale and Anita for the suggestions. Since I didn't need a precise arc, the suggestion that Joe made suited my purpose when I added a third keyframe. I used the method Anita suggested and also read Dale's tutorial which will take some time to really digest. But as you said Dale, "It's great to have multiple ways to accomplish the same thing!" Much food for thought.

Dennis

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks