Choosing Wizard effect for individual slide

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Esteemed Member

Choosing Wizard effect for individual slide

Postby Shaker » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:18 am

This may be a naive question, but I've searched the forum for an answer without success.

I have not yet downloaded an evaluation copy of the latest Producer and want to avoid this till I have a better idea of what it can offer. It seems that for a given theme, Wizard decides for itself, which effects are used on which slide.

If true, it seems a severe limitation and I haven't seen a workaround for it. Could a workaround be achieved by making a series of one slide shows using for each a theme with just one effect? In this way when these shows are put together with other slides for which no fancy transitions are required, the result would have exactly the effects wanted for each slide.

It would be even simpler if the Wizard effects could be accessed from outside the Wizard. If they can't, what a wasted opportunity.

Your responses would be most welcome.
Shaker

Re: Choosing Wizard effect for individual slide

Postby cherub » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:40 am

Hi,
I think that you should download an evaluation copy of the product, install it on your computer and start playing with it.
Otherwise it's very hard to judge what the product has to offer.

The wizard is something that can help you out if you need a very fast show, but it is definitely not the way to work with this product.

ProShow (Producer and Gold) can work on a show from scratch, without any kind of effects or addtions, can work with the aid of slide styles and transitions, and can work with the aid of the wizard.

Judging by your question, I would say that what you are looking for, is a show where you can choose the effects that you want to apply to specific images. This can be achieved by means of slide styles. There are slide styles that come built-in with the product, and there are additional packs of slide styles that can be bought from Photodex (the makers of the software) as well as from several other 3rd party vendors. The same holds true for the transitions - the effects that are applied (or not) between the various slides of your show.

Hope this helps.

Esteemed Member

Postby Shaker » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:12 am

Mona,

Thankyou for your advice. It seems that my Producer is way out of date (3.5.2279) and I am therefore very limited in what I can do apart from hand crafting the effects I want.

I will explore further along the lines you suggest.
Shaker

Postby cherub » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:16 am

Shaker,
Producer 3.5 did not work with slide styles. The slide styles first appeared in version 4.0.
The slide styles are exactly what you are looking for: effects for the single slide.

Esteemed Member

Postby Shaker » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:35 am

Mona,

Many thanks. The info will save me lots of time in fruitless searching. I need to upgrade.
Shaker

Postby debngar » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:39 am

I agree with Mona. It's pretty hard to understand and judge a program's features without installing and trying it out. If you're worried about installing over your current version, just be sure you put it in a completely different program folder apart from the current version you're running. That should do it. Don't open old shows with the new one without saving the show file with a new name (saving in a different folder too) for testing purposes else you won't be able to open it in the old version as most things are typically not backwardly compatible. Once you decide to upgrade that's not necessary but is good idea while testing the newer version.

Also once you get a show tweaked the way you like it using slide styles you pick, you can always make a template and populate it with photos that way. If you need a few more slides, copy and paste one over and over as many times as you need then drag the photo(s) into the layers in the slides you want to exchange to replace the old ones.

I rarely use the Wizard because I like to have more control over my show design. Saving a template offers the best of both, sort of, once a show is designed the way you like it to use over and over again. If you want to change it up a bit, select a series of slides and move them to a different place in the show. :D
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Esteemed Member

Postby Shaker » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:17 pm

Debbie,

Many thanks. I found that I was entitled to a free upgrade to 4.0.2479 which has about 65 styles. I'm now happily modifying a style to suit my purpose for a slide. So styles seems the way ahead.

Thanks again.
Shaker

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks