Snow falling through text

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Snow falling through text

Postby Opera22 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:12 am

I know this sounds strange, but I'm making a snow globe presentation in PSP, which I'm following religiously from a video tutorial that I bought. It's almost complete, and I'm just waiting for one or two pictures of children in the snow, to add to the show.

I want to finish the presentation with the words "MERRY CHRISTMAS" etc, and have the falling snow showing only through the letters firstly and then all over the scene. The text will look something like "ProShow Enthusiasts" (as the Banner above) and the snow will fall through the letters.

I was watching a programme last night called "an evening with Barry Manilow" and in the background the very large text obviously read "MANILOW" and there was falling glitter in each of the letters. I thought it would be great if I could create a similar effect with snow.

I'm new to PSP and am not very conversant with Masks. However, the Show is looking good - no thanks to me. The tutorial is very good, more than can be said about the person who is creating the show!!

If there's an easy way of doing this, could someone let me know how to create the effect. If it's complicated, I'll look for some large text and leave it at that.

Thanks

Pam

Re: Snow falling through text

Postby cherub » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:59 am

Hi Pam,

I understand that you already have the falling snow as a video, correct ?

If so, all you need is a mask with the words Merry Christmas on top of it, and your snow will be seen through.
You can make the mask in the following way:

Open a new slide with a black background and write your caption in big white letters.
The slide needs to be static (keyframe 1 and keyframe 2 of the captions have the same values)
Go to the main preview (the larger screen) and right click on it. From the menu that opens choose Capture Frame (the last one in the list). Save this captured frame on your computer as a jpg file.

Open a new slide, and insert your falling snow video. On top of it, insert your captured frame jpg file, as the first layer. Then make this captured frame a grayscale mask (Layers > Masking Layer > Intensity Grayscale).
That's it. When you'll play the slide the snow will fall only through your caption.

If you want the snow to continue to fall also on top of everything else, you will have to insert your video once more, this time as the topmost layer.

Esteemed Member

Postby glyn53 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:31 am

If you want the falling snow video or Merry Christmas title video I have uploaded them here. enjoy. Hope it's ok to post here, don't remember where I got them from.

http://www.fileserve.com/file/Q5HzwXP/S ... vid_25.avi
http://www.fileserve.com/file/wyjYFsA/M ... vid_10.avi

Glyn

Postby heckydog » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:22 am

I can do this effect. It's made from a mask for the text, a background picture, and a video of the "snow" falling. This snow is in color but I can do it in black and white. The only problem is I haven't figured out how to do it in PSP. I keep getting the black outline of the text before the colored snow appears. Maybe someone who is better with masks in PSP can figure it out.

I made this with After Effects and Particle Illusion. It looks nice on a black background which is easy to do in PSP but I assume the poster wants it in front of a photo of some sort.

Snowfall_Title 2.8MB, 30 seconds long, mp4 640x360

Joe

Postby cherub » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:56 pm

This is what I described above. I'm using the falling snow video clip given by Glyn, (thank you Glyn) with chroma key transparency.
I also added a white contour with a bit of snow, which I made in a graphic editor. This contour is actually a kind of "frame" for the letters and on top of the mask.
As Pam wanted, at the beginning of the slide the snow falls only in the text, and then on all the picture.

This is how I arranged my layers:

If you like this effect, you can download the slide style from the section "Member Created Files", of this forum.
Last edited by cherub on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Opera22 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:04 am

cherub wrote:Hi Pam,

I understand that you already have the falling snow as a video, correct ?

If so, all you need is a mask with the words Merry Christmas on top of it, and your snow will be seen through.
You can make the mask in the following way:

Open a new slide with a black background and write your caption in big white letters.
The slide needs to be static (keyframe 1 and keyframe 2 of the captions have the same values)
Go to the main preview (the larger screen) and right click on it. From the menu that opens choose Capture Frame (the last one in the list). Save this captured frame on your computer as a jpg file.

Open a new slide, and insert your falling snow video. On top of it, insert your captured frame jpg file, as the first layer. Then make this captured frame a grayscale mask (Layers > Masking Layer > Intensity Grayscale).
That's it. When you'll play the slide the snow will fall only through your caption.

If you want the snow to continue to fall also on top of everything else, you will have to insert your video once more, this time as the topmost layer.

Hi Mona

The falling snow isn't in a video, it's snow made from "VanDerLee" Plug-in, in Photoshop CS4 and then converted into a .png file. I then move it around in PSP in the first keyframe and change it (move it down more) in the second keyframe. It looks like I'll have to download that snow video and follow your instructions in the reply below. I'll come back to the Forum tomorrow to copy the links etc.

Pam

Postby Opera22 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:16 am

Hi Mona

I've downloaded your video. I'll copy your notes etc. In a hurry at the moment.

Thanks very much for your help and Glynn's help.

The snow globe with falling snow is in quite a few layers - not a video e.g.

1st Layer = Snow Globe.png (it's resting on a fence on the background picture)
2nd Layer = Mask
3rd Layer = Snow .png image (inset because of mask)
4th Layer = 1st picture (inset because of mask) - this picture appears in the Globe on the fence
5th Layer = background picture

I don't know how to copy a screen shot to add in here. Can I just paste it in, or is there another way of making it appear on this page? Sorry to sound stupid, but I'm not sure how to do this!! :roll:

Pam

Esteemed Member

Postby glyn53 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks Mona for the slide style, come in handy this Christmas.

Glyn

Postby slideshower » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:34 pm

Thank you for being so generous! I'm looking forward to using this in a winter scene - shouldn't be too difficult to make different text in Photoshop. Lucie

Postby cherub » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Glad you liked it !

Pam, I'm familiar with the VanDerLee" Plug-in for Photoshop. It's how I make my own falling snow and also how I created the snow on the contour of the letters above. If you want to see my snowglobe, you can visit my site:
Christmas Styles Vol. 2
If you use that method, the arrangements of the layers would still be the same.
You can use the style that I provided, and instead of the video just use your png file, with the motion that you created. Just disable the chroma key values that I gave for those two layers (the video), and you are all set.

Postby tdew » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:19 am

Thanks Mona for the Slide Style, and thanks Glyn for the video file and thanks Pam for the idea.
It will come in handy for Halloween around here!Image
2011-10-Halloween-Storm-207 by ttdew99, on Flickr

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks to Mona and Glyn, Mona for the style and Glyn for the video. We appreciate. quetzal :D

Postby slideshower » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:43 am

Yes, thanks also to Glyn for the video file!! Lucie

Esteemed Member

Postby glyn53 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:38 am

I have found another snow falling with the lower third having a snow drift video on my external hard-drive. If anyone is interested you can download at

http://www.fileserve.com/file/8Q6TnRF/s ... t_xvid.avi

I'm sure some can make use of it.

Glyn

Postby Opera22 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:56 am

cherub wrote:Glad you liked it !

Pam, I'm familiar with the VanDerLee" Plug-in for Photoshop. It's how I make my own falling snow and also how I created the snow on the contour of the letters above. If you want to see my snowglobe, you can visit my site:
Christmas Styles Vol. 2
If you use that method, the arrangements of the layers would still be the same.
You can use the style that I provided, and instead of the video just use your png file, with the motion that you created. Just disable the chroma key values that I gave for those two layers (the video), and you are all set.

Hi Mona

I used your Slide Style in a practise Show- it's great. I hope to re-create it in the proper Show, unless I can work out how to copy a slide from one Show to another. I did as you said i.e. used my snow and disabled the video layers - to keep the Show consistent. I'm not sure why I should disable the "Chroma key" - not sure what it is :roll: Nevertheless, I did so. I will use the full video in another Show. You are clever. I've no idea how you made it.

I need to make a final slide with the same message in Italian. How did you create the text? Did you create it in Photoshop? If not, I'll get round it by just putting the text on a blank final slide.

Thanks also to Glyn for the Video.

Next

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks