Snow falling through text

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Re: Snow falling through text

Postby cherub » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:43 am

Yes, I created the text in a graphic editor. I prefer PaintShop Pro and not Photoshop, but the principle should be the same.
You need to create a text and to save the outline (white) in a different layer.
On this layer (with just the outlined text) you apply the Van Der Lee" Plug-in to create the snow itself. Save this layer as a separate file, a png file.
Another layer should be the text filled with white, on a black background - save it as a jpg. This should be your mask.

Postby Opera22 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:57 am

Hi Mona

Thanks for this. The process sounds very like the tutorial I followed, so I'll look at it again and make an attempt at creating the new text.

Thanks again for your help.

Pam

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:37 am

Thanks again Glyn. quetzal :D

Postby cinderellen » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Many thanks, Glyn and Mona, for your generosity!!!

Ellen

Postby Opera22 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:25 am

Hi Mona and Glyn

I managed to create the text in Photoshop - what a challenge that was :roll: I had to read a thick Manual, to find out how to create "see through text"!! I followed the "snow globe" tutorial again and substituted the making of the Globe with the creation of the text.

I'm not very please with the text I eventually chose. Could you let me me know which FONT you used, Mona, so the two slides look consistent? I'm not sure I'll have the Font, because I know you used PaintShop Pro, but you never know, I might have it on my PC.

Many thanks for your help

Pam

Postby cherub » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:07 am

Hi Pam,

I'm glad you made it :D
Your phrase "I had to read a thick manual" made me smile (sorry about that !) because this was exactly the phrase used in a commercial that I saw a few years ago, about why people don't like Photoshop and prefer PaintShop Pro. :)
The font that I used is called Notram, and it could very well be from Photoshop, because I do have it installed on my computer but I don't use it very often.

Postby Opera22 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:14 am

Hi Mona

Thanks for this. The Font isn't on my computer, but I'll have more time this week-end to look for a better Font.

Thanks

Pam

Postby Opera22 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:51 am

cherub wrote:Glad you liked it !

Pam, I'm familiar with the VanDerLee" Plug-in for Photoshop. It's how I make my own falling snow and also how I created the snow on the contour of the letters above. If you want to see my snowglobe, you can visit my site:
Christmas Styles Vol. 2
If you use that method, the arrangements of the layers would still be the same.
You can use the style that I provided, and instead of the video just use your png file, with the motion that you created. Just disable the chroma key values that I gave for those two layers (the video), and you are all set.

Mona

I've almost completed the snow globe last two slides. I've made the Italian text the same Font and size etc. and arranged the layers as you explained. I've kept the .avi snow video as the top layer. There are just two things I can't do :roll:

First - create the snow on top of the letters/contours. I know you use PaintShop Pro, but I think you said you used the VanDerLee Plug-in to create the snow on top of the letters. I've looked on YouTube and nobody seems to be able to make the snow like you have done :( Did you make a separate layer with the VanDerLee snow on and then add an inverted mask and paint through to reveal the snow on top of the letters ONLY? If so, how did you make the curves in the snow. You are so clever, I can't for the life of me work out how you did it!!!!!!!!!!! I know I'll be using Photoshop CS4, but would it be that different? Any hints would be greatly appreciate.

Secondly - I've made the last two slides as a "Practice Show", do I save it as a "Project" in PSP and open it up, to copy the last two slides to the main show? If so, do I click and drag?

Sorry to pester you again, but this is driving me mad, because I can't finish the Show :?

Thanks Pam

Postby cherub » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:12 am

Pam,
It's been quite a while since I've done this effect, and I've managed to make some other things in between, so I hope I can remember what I did with that snow. :D

I will describe it in words, in the hope that you will be able to translate this in Photoshop-ish. :D
How to make the snow on the letters:
Open a new file with transparent background.
In Paintshop Pro all text is added as a new vector layer, so yes, this was a separate layer.I made the text using black fonts, with a white outline (in PaintShop Pro it's called "stroke width").
I dragged the text until I was pleased with the size, and then made a copy of this layer, and converted it to raster.
Then, I selected the color black from all the text (with the magic wand) and deleted it.
So, I was left with a white contour of the text. On this layer with the white contour, you apply the Van Der Leer plugin. I don't remember the exact settings, so you'll have to play with it a bit.
When you are satisfied, save this as a psp with all the layers, and also as as png (one layer) with transparency.
How to make the white on black mask for Producer:
I don't know if this is the correct way of doing it, but it's the simplest, that's for sure:
Open again your psd file with the layers, and select the empty space inside the letters.
While everything is selected, add another layer and fill those empty spaces with white.
Add another layer under this, and fill it with black. (all of it, so it becomes a background)
Hide the layer with the white contour and save the whole thing as a jpg file (you will have white letters on a black background). This is your mask in Producer.
Hope I haven forgotten any stage.

Now about how to copy and paste your two "practice" slides into your main show.
You can do it in a project, yes, but it's not necessary.
Open the show with your two slides, select them and Copy them (right click will bring up the menu). Close this show.
Open your main show and right click again where you want to insert your slides. From the menu that opens choose Paste. That's it. It's a simple copy and paste like in any other program.

Hope this helps ! :D

Postby Opera22 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:46 am

Hi

Thanks for this. I will give it a go. I've since received a video from a photograph Forum person, who has created text in Photoshop.

I will combine the two versions, because I can see something in his version and also in your notes that I think will help me.

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain it. Looks ike tomorrow will be a busy day :lol:

Pam

Previous

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks