Zoom Following while Rotating (A Reporting FIRST!)

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Re: Zoom Following while Rotating (A Reporting FIRST!)

Postby Oldguy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:52 am

Way to go Dale!!!

Forrest

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:48 am

This part is intuitive for me now that I understand it's a percentage of change: "So, if the zoom is 20 and you want to use a modifier to increase the zoom to 30 you would need a modifier value of 50."

This part isn't intuitive for me because I can't seem to locate my mathematical brain cells: "The formula is 20 + 20(x/100) = 30, where "x" is the percent of change (or modifier value). So, x= (30-20)/20 = 0.5. The modifier value is going to be the percent value vs the actual percent. So the modifier itself will be 0.5*100=50."

It's been many, many years since I studied algebra, so I'm going to study this one with the hope that I can revive the missing brain cells. Surely, they couldn't have atrophied from lack of use. :(

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:58 am

I sat with pen, paper, and a cup of coffee this morning, and then passed my results by Dale first because I didn't want to screw up everyone with an unfortunate formula:

Where Zoom2 is the final size and Zoom1 is the starting size...

(Zoom2 - Zoom1) / Zoom1 = percent expressed as decimal

For example, if you have a starting zoom of 15 and you want it to end up with a zoom of 35, you'd subtract 15 from 35 to get 20. You'd then divide 20 by 15 and get 1.333333, which is both unfortunate and correct.

Managed to find a few of my algebraic brain cells. The rest are wedged in a dark crevice somewhere. :D

I should have added in the fact that the final number needs to be expressed as a percent. 133.33333 and so forth percent. :lol:

Barbara
Last edited by BarbaraC on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby im42n8 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:06 am

Well, another way to approach it is this. If you're trying to increase a number by a certain percent then you'd use the first equation:

ZoomStart + ZoomStart(%ChangeModifier/100) = ZoomEnd,
Where %ChangeModifier is a decimal number.

With this equation, you can check out what modifier values give you what final zoom when given a starting zoom. It's helpful to realize that the modifier value really is a number that represents a percent. That is, a modifier of 125 represents 125% which is actually a decimal value of 12.5. A modifier of 1 is 1% which is actually a decimal 0.01.

However, if you're looking for the modifier value that you would get with a start and end zoom, you'd use the following formula:

%ChangeModifier = (ZoomEnd - ZoomStart)100/ZoomStart

The reason I added the "100" value into the formulae is so that the final result would be the actual modifier value that you would use in your modifier action. If you forget to convert the decimal number to the percent number and use it instead, you will NOT get what you expect (yes, it's easy to do!). Hence, the inclusion of the 100 into the formula. This is particularly important if you put the actual formula in the modifier actions: +ZoomEnd - ZoomStart * 100 / ZoomStart (and yes, there are times when you may want to have the program calculate the values for you on the fly ...)

If you wanted to, for example, create a thin border around your image you would want to increase the size of a single color gradient or solid color layer by a small amount and place it behind your image. In this case, assume our starting zoom is 65. If we only want a 0.5% increase our thin border calculation would be:

%Changemodifier = (65.5 - 65)100/65 = 0.7692, or 0.77 (modifiers only round to 2 decimal places).

If you wanted a thicker border of something like 5%, then we'd have

%Changemodifier = (70 - 65)100/65 = 7.692, or 7.69

Hope that helps some!

Dale

PS I added a pan motion to the mix ... you'll see it in the multiple layers around the center layer portion.

What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Previous

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks