Question for Advanced Users

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Question for Advanced Users

Postby rgb2cmyk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:37 am

I am trying to create a presentation that maintains a colored banner (bar) across the bottom of the slides that will have changing text throughout the presentation. The text won't necessarily coincide exactly with slide transitions, and I want the banner to remain through 75% of the presentation. In other words, images and video behind the banner will be changing, but I want that banner to remain as a layer in front of those transitions. I'm having a heckuva time trying to figure this out.

Can anybody help? Please let me know if this is not the correct place to post this question. Thanks all!!

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Question for Advanced Users

Postby pilotdan63 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:59 am

I would create my colored banner probably as a PNG transparency file and save it to my project folder. Then I would create my slide show using the appropriate slides and videos and include the colored banner as the top layer in each one of the pictures and/or video clips, positioning it at the same location at the bottom of each slide window.

I would then add my captions to each slide and position the words in front of the color overlay banner with a short A/B transition between each slide. If I wanted the words to span more than one slide I would add the exact same text and position the text in the subsequent slide in the same place. The only problem I see here would be a possible slight fade-out and fade-in of the text during the transition between subsequent slides.

This method should give the effect of the slides changing while the text remains remains fixed in place over the colored banner for the time period that you want.

If someone has a better way of doing this please help out and . . . good luck :wink:

Dan

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:48 am

rgb2cmyk wrote:... I'm having a heckuva time trying to figure this out...!

If Dan's post didn't have what you're looking for, it would help if you could elaborate on what the "this" is--getting the banner on the slides? keeping it above transitions? getting text there? or...?

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Valued Member

Postby Tonel » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:37 am

Depending on the final video quality you want, another method would be to create your slideshow without the overlay banner and output it as a video file. Then import that file into a video editor and add the overlay banner there. This gives you full control of when the banner text appears, changes, etc. and can remain constant throughout transitions. Then out put the whole.

Tony
Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, C=250GB 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PSP9
iMac 27" Retina 5K i5, 24GB RAM, Radeon M295X 4GB, Bootcamp Win10H 64bit

Postby rgb2cmyk » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks for the reponses guys.

Dick - "this" refers to trying to keep a portion of the slide constant across multiple slides. Particularly the banner itself, but in many cases the text will remain as the image or video behind transitions to the next slide.

Dan, thank you for the response. That was the only way I could figure on doing it as well. But I thought there must be a more automated, or visually seemless, way of handling it. Would the matching function come into play any way here?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but if you're just trying to keep the banner image layer on all the slides that's just a copy function--copy layer to all slides.In Layer Settings just right click on that image layer and copy (to all slides). There's also an option to copy to selected slides if you just want it + text on a selection of slides.

To keep it constantly visible you'll also need to make set it to be above transitions so it isn't affected by the slide-to-slide transitions.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Esteemed Member

Postby mikemullett » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:56 am

Tony - is this the sort of thing you are after. Originally created by Iris AKA Truly Tango.

http://www.photodex.com/share/mikemullett/cgwx6mg4

Mike
There's no such thing as problems, only challenges
Nikon D5300 DSLR, PSP, Photoshop CS6, Premiere Elements 8, Adobe After Effects. Have just built a Win 7 Core I5 machine, 8G ram, 1TB hard disk

Valued Member

Postby Tonel » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:23 am

Mike - I think your question is intended for rgb2cmyk, not me.

Tony
Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, C=250GB 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PSP9
iMac 27" Retina 5K i5, 24GB RAM, Radeon M295X 4GB, Bootcamp Win10H 64bit

Postby cherub » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:16 pm

rgb2cmyk wrote:I am trying to create a presentation that maintains a colored banner (bar) across the bottom of the slides that will have changing text throughout the presentation. The text won't necessarily coincide exactly with slide transitions, and I want the banner to remain through 75% of the presentation. In other words, images and video behind the banner will be changing, but I want that banner to remain as a layer in front of those transitions. I'm having a heckuva time trying to figure this out.
Can anybody help? Please let me know if this is not the correct place to post this question. Thanks all!!

Sorry for adding my comments a bit late :D
While Producer gives you the option of having captions above the transitions and even to link captions across multiple slides, it does not allow you to do the same for layers. The transitions in ProShow Producer act on ALL the slide, (background and all else).
Because of this, I don't really see an option for your bar to remain fixed on the screen, without being affected by the various transitions that you want to apply to the slides in your show. Unless you choose a 0 time transition between your slides (that looks like a CUT), any other type of transition will be noticed on the bar.
You can do one of the following:
(a) You can give up the bar altogether and play only with the captions
OR
(b)You can adopt the option offered by Tony , and create your show as a video first (without the captions and the bar), and then import it once again in another show where you have a very long single slide, and the bar with captions changing by keyframes. This option will affect the visual quality of your show because of the double video rendering.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Postby trulytango » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:55 pm

Hello rgb2cmyk

Here's how I would add a static banner effect to a show.

Put your banner in place on your first slide - you can make a simple banner just by adding a new solid colour layer via the Layer palette's + button. You can unlock the new layer's X/Y (width/height) controls in Motion Effects and narrow the banner layer until its the right height and then click/drag it into position on your slide. You can adjust the transparency of it too, from within Adjustment Effects if you wish. Do this in the first of the two windows in Motion Effects i.e. the one on the left hand side. For the banner effect to remain static throughout the slide, you need the start position of the banner to be the same as the end position - do that by going to the Keyframes section tools (to the left of the 1st window in Motion Effects) and click the 'Copy Motion Effect' button. Choose 'Copy Start to End'.

Once the banner is identically sized and positioned in BOTH windows in Motion Effects on this first slide, right-click the banner/solid colour layer itself and choose Copy>Copy to all slides... this will place an identically sized and positioned layer on all slides in your show. Because the banner is identically sized and positioned on ALL the slides, it will NOT be affected by any of the simpler transitions such as the basic A/B Crossfaded... but other, fancier transitions WILL ruin the static banner effect so you should avoid them.

For the 25% of slides not reqiring the banner layer, simply delete the banner layer accordingly. At the end of a banner section, or indeed the start of another, the effect of your chosen transition will show on the banner too. In the bannerless section you can choose any transition effect you like.

Text/Captions can be added in the usual way - and like others may have suggested, if you want the text to remain visible on the banner layer whilst the pictures are changing behind it, you will need to set the captions to be above the transitions... the control for that is located in the captions layers palette itself - look for a a small 'T' symbol.

Hope that helps!

@Mike... the OP was asking for something slightly different that that tickertape thing we did. His main concern is changing the images behind the banner without having the transitions affect the banner itself :wink:
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby psychogramma » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:27 am

Another approach -

The transitions used between slides could be "user created" with the banner (blank) included. This would leave the banner in place between the slides while the text on the banner changed.

Always interesting to see the different solutions.

Cathy

Postby trulytango » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:36 am

Good idea!
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby texan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:33 am

Truly:

How'd you get the "typing" sound on the banner you developed??

It adds authenticity to the ticker tape???

Cheers
Texan

Postby trulytango » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:11 pm

The sound is Mike's... it sounds great doesn't it!

Esteemed Member

Postby des.tom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:23 pm

There are typewriter sounds as part of Dave Fitzpatrick's typewriter program:

http://www.visisketchpro.com/Goodies/ProShowStuff.html

Des Thomas

Next

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks