Capturing streaming video with a browser

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Capturing streaming video with a browser

Postby kayone » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:44 am

I have read somewhere on this board the ability to capture streaming video on the computer and being able to save it for later burning to a DVD.

I recall it was a browser that was capable of doing it. Do my guru friends know of such a brower?
kayone

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Capturing streaming video with a browser

Postby pilotdan63 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:45 pm

Kayone . . . sure do . . . I do it all the time.

First you need to use Firefox as your browser. Then you need to add: "Download Helper" from the list of free add-ons, extensions, appearance and plug-ins to Firefox. After you have your Firefox browser loaded with Download Helper all you have to do is click on the little active Download Helper icon on the top of your Firefox browser that signals you whenever it senses a video file that it is capable of downloading.

That said, most streaming internet video files are in a format called: "Flash" which doesn't burn directly onto a DVD. You must then convert your Flash file to a format that can be burned to a DVD such as: AVI, MOV, MPEG4, etc. I use the free video converter from IWisoft: http://www.iwisoft.com/videoconverter/

Good luck :wink:

Dan

Postby kayone » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks Dan.

I have downloaded it and works as advertised.

kayone

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pilotdan63 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:02 pm

Great news . . . I'm happy to hear it's working for you :-)

Dan

Valued Member

Postby Pat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:03 am

Though not free, you might look at RipTiger. I will capture flv video and has a built in converter for buring to dvd. Will capture from YouTube, Vimeo, etc. Most any online video that is free...

Postby ChristieWhitt » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:36 pm

pilotdan63 wrote:Kayone . . . sure do . . . I do it all the time.

First you need to use Firefox as your browser. Then you need to add: "Download Helper" from the list of free add-ons, extensions, appearance and plug-ins to Firefox. After you have your Firefox browser loaded with Download Helper all you have to do is click on the little active Download Helper icon on the top of your Firefox browser that signals you whenever it senses a video file that it is capable of downloading.

That said, most streaming internet video files are in a format called: "Flash" which doesn't burn directly onto a DVD. You must then convert your Flash file to a format that can be burned to a DVD such as: AVI, MOV, MPEG4, etc. I use the free video converter from IWisoft: http://www.iwisoft.com/videoconverter/

Good luck :wink:

Dan

Hi, I just want to say thank you on the software that you've provided in your post. That certainly helped me in my video conversions and the output is high quality. I am very satisfied with the tool. Does it have any updates by the way?

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks